Long Runtimes on Low

john10001

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting a Connexion X2 as I am presently looking to buy a flashlight that gives really long runtimes on low setting of just 4 or 5 lumens.

So far the Connexion looks like it comes closest to what I am looking for. I believe it has 3.3 lumens on low and lasts for an eternity.

I have read some great posts on this site about the Connexion here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/219901
and here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/228170
and also going back read some pretty good reviews on the old model too.

Is there anything else you'd recommend I consider besides this?

I also just wondered how much a 14500 rechargeable battery and charger would cost here in the UK? I was going to see whether it was worth the extra cost with the reduced run times or whether I would be better just sticking to primaries with the long run times.

I'm going to be in some remote places soon, places were its not likely I'll be able to source batteries other than AA if I'm lucky, and also may not be near electricity for a while too so was probably thinking AA primaries esp e2 L91's would be best.

Finally, if you can recommend anywhere to buy the Connexion in Britain, or in the US that ships worldwide I'd welcome any recommendations and links.

Cheers,
John

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are actually a number of great lights with really long runtimes on low. Check out the ITP A1, A2 and A3 as well as the quark mini series. The A1 and quark mini 123 for example give apprx 150 hours on low. It looks like you are interested in AA and the A2 and quark mini AA both get around 50-60 hours on low.The regular quarks have great low runtimes as well. The quark regular even has a moonlight mode which claims to last for 10 straight days.

Last edited:

john10001

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. The Quark and the iTP's look pretty good too. The moonlight mode's seem to offer even more days of light, though I'm not sure how bright that light would be in a pitch dark room?

I think the Pak-lite 9v flashlight also looks interesting.

Regarding AA flashlights, what is the highest output you can get from one AA without issues? I guess if I wanted higher than the 80 or 90 lumens from the Quarks and iTP's then I'd maybe have to look at flashlights running on 123's and 18650's?

I'm wondering if there's anything that runs on 123's but also has an extention tube for AA so you can have more lumens at max output off the 123's but also have the option to run on AA's when you can't find 123's?

John

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only light I know off the top of my head that does that is the romisen rc-n3. It is nice having the option for both kinds of batteries, but there is no difference in brightness unless you use a rechargeable cr123 in it.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
John,

I have a Pro-Elec 120 lumens single mode clicky bought in the UK.

• Super bright LED torches
  • Shock, dust and weather proof
  • Quality LED with 100,000 hour lifespan
  • Aircraft grade Aluminium
  • Tailcap on/off switch
  • Cross-hatch decorated handle for secure grip
  • Lightweight and compact
  • Requires 1 x AA battery (not supplied)
  • Supplied with lanyard
  • Black or red colour choice

Technical Data
Light source CREE XR-E LED x 1 Beam Colour White Lumens 120 Range 100m Dimensions (Lx⌀) 94x20mm Weight 36.7g

Cost was £12.20 with VAT

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. The Quark and the iTP's look pretty good too. The moonlight mode's seem to offer even more days of light, though I'm not sure how bright that light would be in a pitch dark room?
Moonlight modes are for very dark conditions where you only need enough light to see what you're doing, like map reading near insurgents. Personally I can't see myself having a need for that dim of a light in civilian life. Low modes in the 2-4 lumens is more what I would use and you can get 60 hours from a single AA cell, that's 2.5 days of continuous use or 5 days using it only at night every night.
Regarding AA flashlights, what is the highest output you can get from one AA without issues? I guess if I wanted higher than the 80 or 90 lumens from the Quarks and iTP's then I'd maybe have to look at flashlights running on 123's and 18650's?
I would say 100 OTF or so is about the tops right now for AA. Quark makes a single AA Tactical version that pumps out 109 lumens. That's quite a bit of light for a single AA. My AAx2 can pump out 206 lumens which is also very bright.
I'm wondering if there's anything that runs on 123's but also has an extention tube for AA so you can have more lumens at max output off the 123's but also have the option to run on AA's when you can't find 123's?
John
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I considered getting 123x2 but didn't want to buy another new charger and batteries just for that light. So I opted for the AAx2 which works exactly the same except for Max mode where it's only 24 lumens less. Side by side, it would be hard to see the difference, and I already had several AA rechargeables that were sitting idle. So it was an easy choice for me really.
I'm a very happy camper with the AAx2.
:twothumbs

Last edited:

Quension

Newly Enlightened
Moonlight modes are for very dark conditions where you only need enough light to see what you're doing, like map reading near insurgents. Personally I can't see myself having a need for that dim of a light in civilian life. Low modes in the 2-4 lumens is more what I would use and you can get 60 hours from a single AA cell, that's 2.5 days of continuous use or 5 days using it only at night every night.

Using my Quark 123² R2 as a reference, its moonlight mode at 0.2 lumens OTF is plenty bright enough for direct illumination with dark-adapted vision, such as avoiding toys on the floor while making the trip to the bathroom at night. At about 10 feet, the hotspot is roughly as bright against a wall as a streetlight shining in through a window.

The 123²'s low mode of 3.5 lumens is bright enough to recognize known objects in the room from white ceiling bounce alone. Direct illumination of an object will start adjusting your eyes away from night vision a bit (I find it too bright for avoiding toys in my path), but this is about the brightness level needed to gauge colors on objects you don't already recognize from a few feet away. With moonlight mode, you can only get a true sense of color at very close range (less than a foot). Beyond that you can only tell if something is "reddish" as opposed to "orange" or "red". It's similar for the ceiling bounce of low mode: you can tell if something is a bright color, but not necessarily which one.

Note that this is in dark rooms. Being lit by even a computer screen along one wall changes things considerably.

It's going to depend on personal usage of course, and I wouldn't want to be stuck with moonlight levels being the brightest I could get out of a light, but it is a usable level for many situations.

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
quark allows you to lego different bodies heads and clickys.. you can use same head with 1aa 2aa 1cr123 bodies (sold separately also) and you can use the 2cr123 body if you have 17670 li-ion.. two cr123s would fry the single cell head.. and also buy 18650 body for it too.. (quark is one of my edc lights.. the aa tactical version)

itp c series does that too.. (i have c8 (2aa) and as extra i got c7(aa) body tube..) its my in the house task light. just because of the cool ramp function.

romisen n3 is decent cheap option uses either one cr123 or 2 aa if you add the body tube (comes with both) its really good low budget light for about 25 dollars it costs. ( and dont really have a long low output.. its more medium in output if the 2mode light..most sell only single mode light)

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be surprised if the Connexion's low is 3 or 4 lumens, it seems much less than that. It is close to the Quark moon mode.

I think it is a fine light.

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
It's going to depend on personal usage of course, and I wouldn't want to be stuck with moonlight levels being the brightest I could get out of a light, but it is a usable level for many situations.
Sure I didn't mean to say it wasn't, just that I personally can't see any reason to use Moonlight mode. When camping this summer I'll probably have my Quark set to Low for most uses where lighting is needed as we move about the site as we don't go near hydro or anything, and High or Max for when I need bright lighting to scare off the wee beasties since we can't do this to them...
:xyxgun:
:eeksign:

Last edited:

Latest posts