• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired McClicky Switch Hair Trigger

ash211

Newly Enlightened
Just bought three McClicky Switches for my surefires. After installing them I noticed they all have "hair triggers." I barely touch them and they kick on. Is there any way to dial this down a little? I'm going to EDC these and I don't want to burn a hole in my pants. Any help would be appreciated.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
use the stock surefire boot
Or check to see if there is a knub in the boot, invert the boot and cut the knub out. Sounds like you need more room between the McClicky and tail cap

You posted this question in the wrong forum by the way.
This is the Buy Sell Trade section of custom lights

ash211

Newly Enlightened
use the stock surefire boot
Or check to see if there is a knub in the boot, invert the boot and cut the knub out. Sounds like you need more room between the McClicky and tail cap

You posted this question in the wrong forum by the way.
This is the Buy Sell Trade section of custom lights
Sorry about the wrong forum. I'll try cutting the new boot, I trashed the original boot when I removed it. Thanks for the quick reply.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
They will work in a Surefire if he bought the kit from electronguru.

You have to search first and then answer questions.

ash211

Newly Enlightened
Search first ask questions later
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2445034#post2445034
McGizmo says it won't work in a SF Clickie only the old LOTC
In the thread above mahoney says a tap is needed to remove something, so it depends on what switch you have

I bought the kit from Electronguru so it will work in a SF light and your search result doesn't help...actually doesn't have anything at all to do with my ? but thank you for trying. I tried cutting a little out of the rubber boot but the switch itself seems to be the issue. The slightest touch and it turns on. Its like a light switch that turns on when you touch it. I'm looking for a switch that turns on after you've moved it about half way...

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the kit from Electronguru so it will work in a SF light and your search result doesn't help...actually doesn't have anything at all to do with my ? but thank you for trying. I tried cutting a little out of the rubber boot but the switch itself seems to be the issue. The slightest touch and it turns on. Its like a light switch that turns on when you touch it. I'm looking for a switch that turns on after you've moved it about half way...

I think this is the clickie upgrade you are looking for: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/249042 It has a strong tactile feel similar to SF clickies.
McGizmo's clickie is very reliable, but not a good application in a tailcap that does not have a tailguard, at least for how I use my lights. But then again, I have never been satisfied with any McGizmo products, YMMV.

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
You can shave the switch button too, but make sure you have enough material left to engage the switch latch.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Just bought three McClicky Switches for my surefires. After installing them I noticed they all have "hair triggers." I barely touch them and they kick on. Is there any way to dial this down a little?

I tried cutting a little out of the rubber boot but the switch itself seems to be the issue. The slightest touch and it turns on. Its like a light switch that turns on when you touch it. I'm looking for a switch that turns on after you've moved it about half way...

In general, McClicky's are a soft touch switch, press a little for momentary, half way to turn on. They should only be easy to activate temporarily and should not be staying on unless you mean to. There are a few options currently available to 'harden the click':

Get NetKidz kits for the same tailcaps (batch 6 now taking reservations):
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/236172

Get factory (SF) Z59 clickies

Add to your current setup with something that protects the boot:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/248609

Modify the current configuration more to your liking. This is tricky, as any changes to the boot have a small effect and it sounds like you're looking for a large effect.

The simplest change is to unscrew the tailcap slightly before stowing the light. This would make sure it didn't come on accidently, but requires you tighten it again before use.​

PM sent with return options

donn_

Flashaholic
I have a few of these switch upgrades, and there is no question they are more sensitive than any of my other McClicky-equipped switches. I'm not sure, but one thing I've noticed is the brass carrier is a good bit thicker than others designed for the same purpose.

Anyway, I found a fix which helps a good deal.

Unscrew the switch upgrade, and drop a conductive washer inside, to sit between the boot and the McClicky. I'm using Malkoff's old copper connector rings.

This effectively moves the boot further from the switch, so more pressure is required to trip the switch.

Works like a charm.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks donn,
The washer trick does work.
And, it does not need to be conductive.

Also, adding a second o-ring to the second o-ring groove on the tail end of your light increases the balloon effect to the boot. This will add some resistance to the momentary action.

We may have some type of product to help users dial in the feel of their switch sometime soon.
I'm working on it.

I have a few of these switch upgrades, and there is no question they are more sensitive than any of my other McClicky-equipped switches. I'm not sure, but one thing I've noticed is the brass carrier is a good bit thicker than others designed for the same purpose.

Anyway, I found a fix which helps a good deal.

Unscrew the switch upgrade, and drop a conductive washer inside, to sit between the boot and the McClicky. I'm using Malkoff's old copper connector rings.

This effectively moves the boot further from the switch, so more pressure is required to trip the switch.

Works like a charm.