LED off-center (ARC-6)

REDLINEVUE

Newly Enlightened
Can this be fixed?? Or am I being too critical? If it can be fixed, can it be done somehow myself or do I need to send it back?

ARC6center.jpg

100% Crop
ARC6centerCrop.jpg

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you loosen the bezel ring a little (to take some pressure off of the reflector), and then gently smack the head of the light on the palm of your hand, you may be able to shift the reflector back to centered.

fyrstormer

Banned
Based on my experience, it's probably not the reflector. The LED is probably not perfectly centered on the bulkhead.

Also based on my experience, it makes absolutely no difference in the beam quality.

mglamb

Newly Enlightened
Also based on my experience, it makes absolutely no difference in the beam quality.

Agreed. Mine is off center by about the same amount and I never noticed it until I read the original post and went looking. I can't see how being offset by < 1mm can have any practical effect on the beam quality.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is correct, it should not have any noticable effect on the beam. Otherwise we would definately fix it for you. The emitters are installed by hand and is one of the trickiest parts of the assembly since we try to mimize any contact with the LED dome.

peter

easilyled

Flashaholic
Chances are, that if it bothers you, its going to continue to niggle you every time you look at it.

Call it OCD, anal, what you will, unfortunately that's the way it is with some people, me included.

Because of the positioning of the 4 metallic connectors on the slug of the SSC-P4, I find that any off-centering is all the more obvious.

I have corrected this on 2 of my PD-S lights simply as TB suggests, which is by unscrewing the bezel ring then shaking or slapping the sides of the head until the reflector is in a more centered position and then carefully trying to tighten the bezel-ring whilst not disturbing the reflector.

This can take many attempts and quite a lot of patience!

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chances are, that if it bothers you, its going to continue to niggle you every time you look at it.

Call it OCD, anal, what you will, unfortunately that's the way it is with some people, me included.

Because of the positioning of the 4 metallic connectors on the slug of the SSC-P4, I find that any off-centering is all the more obvious.

I have corrected this on 2 of my PD-S lights simply as TB suggests, which is by unscrewing the bezel ring then shaking or slapping the sides of the head until the reflector is in a more centered position and then carefully trying to tighten the bezel-ring whilst not disturbing the reflector.

This can take many attempts and quite a lot of patience!

Well put Daniel! I concur:)

It's worth a shot.

There's a good chance the emitter is centered, but ever so slightly tilted (not in the same plane as the reflector), and if the base of the reflector registers against the emitter (which I believe it does (judging from the photo, but I do not know this as fact)) the reflector will always skate/slip/favor that same position when the lens is tightened.

Moving the reflector to a different clock position my solve the problem (trial and error, lots of patience too)...

ragweed

Enlightened
Please let us know how it goes. I have to see that upgraded pup! I guess it won't effect runtime?

fyrstormer

Banned
I've also upgraded my Arc6 to a Luxeon K2. The biggest difference (ignoring the neutral tint of the K2 I used) is that the K2 is somewhat more focused, and Arc has reflectors designed for Luxeons that will focus them even more. So if you want more throw, a K2 upgrade is a big improvement, but if you prefer a wall of light, the P4 is probably better.

Here's what mine looks like:

CIMG3472a.png

And here's a beam comparison between the neutral K2 (left), a Cree R2 (middle), and an OSRAM Golden Dragon (right).

CIMG3478.jpg