thermo elect coolers?

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok does anyone have one? What do they like, dislike about it? We have a really old one that only get about 20 below ambient temp, it just doesn't cut it. So I want to get a new one and thought I would ask.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think the new ones can go about 40 degrees below ambient temperature; but this is only from reading about them, not owning one. I'm not sure where the HOT side of the TE cooler is ventilated or anything. Definitely outside the cooler compartment itself, but I don't know exactly where.

zmoz

Enlightened
What do you plan on using it for? I have one that I made into a cooler for a can of pop...works great. It has a difference of 70C between the hot and cold side...I put the hot side on ice and measured the cold side, it got down to -30F. Quite fun to play with...

Brock

Flashaholic
Nice. Yup the old one I have is a 12 can cooler, it used to do about 35F differnt between the inside and outside. We are going on a trip next weekend and my wife wants to take along milk and fruit. So I dug my old one out and tested, not going to cut it.

I would say 9 to 18 can size would work.

zmoz how did you get the 70C differnce I thought it was 40F? or did your double it up or ?

zmoz

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
zmoz how did you get the 70C differnce I thought it was 40F? or did your double it up or ?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just what mine is rated at...it's not a cooler or anything, just a bare TEC. I think it's rated at 80 watts...

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you know this, but if you look up "Peltier effect" you'll find a lot more info about these little thingys. Just wanted to add that, y'know, just in case it helps. :)

MicroE

Enlightened
Brock--If you choose to build one, as sometimes happens here on CPF, be careful with it.

Some of them are really fragile and will crack if you stress them.

I learned this the hard way. Dropped one, built it into the device anyway (without testing it after the fall). No cooling. I forget the material it was made from..... Bismuth something.......memory failing........---Marc

Brock

Flashaholic
Thanks all, I just bought the Igloo Kool Mate 24. It seems much better then the old one we had. I just ran it for 3 hours and it was 72 in the room and 34 in the cooler. It was pulling 4.2 amps at 12.6v.

Now I ripped apart the old one and pulled the peltier out. I plan to see if I can get any power out of it from my wood stove this fall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif