Finally! Had a need for the EDC

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
After all this time telling people that a light is necessary even during the day, an occasion came for me to shine, literally. A few of us were walking down the staircase as the elevator was being used by contractors shifting office equipment from one floor to another, there were some other electrical works going on in the building (small 4 level) when :poof: the entire stairwell went pitch dark at 11 a.m.

MAN! I was in ecstasy! Whipped out the EX10 before anyone could say 'blackout' and turned it on. DARNIT!! minimum mode! Did a quick click and hold and wham! whole stairwell lit, stood where i was till everyone evacuated the stairwell, showed off the light.

Then received the inevitable, "why would you carry a light during the day?"

In my mind i was going, "to save unprepared dumdums like you who ask these stupid questions"

in all it was over in less than 5 minutes, but it sure as heck felt good.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperloop

:laughing:

Man, it still blows my mind that people would ask this right as you're bailing them out of a blackout situation!!

It must be some sort of unconscious knee-jerk reaction.

If I'm in a situation like that I hope I think to turn my light back off again and tell them to carry on without it!

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
And after "it happen" they will ask you "why you carry a flashlight during the day":thinking:

Well as with anything you have people that just refuse to learn from their mistakes, dont care, or think that their way is best regardless of what happens... but for the most part the people that I work with are pretty good when it comes to that.

EV_007

Enlightened
Great story and reason to EDC a light all the time.

Yup, a coworker found out I usually have a light on me and now they ALL come to me for a light. I'll have to leave a cheap wallyworld light on my desk for that purpose now. LOL

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
:poof: the entire stairwell went pitch dark at 11 a.m.

Did a quick click and hold and wham! whole stairwell lit, stood where i was till everyone evacuated the stairwell,

To which you should have responded "Here's your sign"

Zeva

Newly Enlightened
Hahahaha Wow! xDD YAY FLASHLIGHTS! i get that so many times... hahaha Idk because i want to? and sometimes theyre useful for like working on my computers! ^^

186kmps

Newly Enlightened
I love these stories. All it takes is one incident like this to remind us why we love flashlights! Hyperloop, if a similar situation happens again, your friends will look right at you with that look on thier faces that says - ok,ok, where is your flashlight?:candle:​

UserName

Newly Enlightened
To which you should have responded "Here's your sign"

In those circumstances, that punchline is probably best said while simultaneously giving a brief flash in the face. Illustrates the point, at least.

deKatt

Newly Enlightened
Man, it still blows my mind that people would ask this right as you're bailing them out of a blackout situation!!

It must be some sort of unconscious knee-jerk reaction.

If I'm in a situation like that I hope I think to turn my light back off again and tell them to carry on without it!

That's like asking "Why would you get trained in CPR?" :shakehead

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
being prepared is something that may just look weird to others i guess, i get the "what the heck are you doing with that?" looks and questions when i take out my Gerber suspension to use the can opener/screwdriver/bottle opener/scissors/pliers when needed.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened

Exactly what I was thinking upon reading this thread!

Dude... I work in LE and I still have people asking me why I carry a flashlight during the day. I simply reply "when it happens you'll know".

Awesome reply, gotta keep that one in mind as well.

rtryland

Newly Enlightened
Great Story! :thumbsup: I've had similar experiences and had the EXACT same result.

Times like these allow we who EDC gear for the inevitable SHTF moment or events similar to this one where it's just a little poo on the fan to go: :nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana: at all of the naysayers!

Sadly, most of the people who's butts you saved aren't going to start carrying a light. Instead they will remain sheeple dedicated to the endless pursuit of the unprepared and even the next time you save them, they'll still ask why you had a light in the daytime.

Thomas

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
We only need 1 out of the 100s of sheeple to be a convert and that makes our day. Just bumped into a colleague from another department who has bought a Fenix LD01 based on my recommendation, man that felt good.