best flashlights for diffrent situations

O

onryou

Hi, I'm onryou... and I really like flashlights and can't quite figure out why... anyways, my question is a multi-part one... So, here goes. I want flashlights for all kinds of diffrent situations, some may fit in the same areas as others. If so let me know... All I want are some good opinions.
btw. FL means Flashlight

FL for Camping/spot light.
FL for checking to see if there are robbers in my house.
FL for my car when I break down.
FL for my pocket.

I want high lumens on all, and battery life is nice but not necessary. Also, I prefer hight quality lights. I like surefire ALOT, and also ARC... please give me some good feedback.

Thanks,
onryou

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hello onryou /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

well...for camping, a long lasting bright light is very nice...someting like a blaster 2. it combines good brightness with extreme runtime.
also, a high powered rechargable is imporant also. a tigerlight would suit well, since it has a long throwing beam and is very bright.
the tigerlight is a rechargable though, so it will only run for about an hour before it needs to be recharged. that being said, that's plent of time, since you won't need to use it often, and can use your less-bright lights for that.

for checking to see if robbers are in the house, the surefire m6 is your best bet, since it is emmensly powerful, and throws a "wall of light" they cost somewhere around $250-$300 though, so that may not be what you need. they also have a very short runtime with the high output lamp assembly (hola)
the tigerlight is also bright enough to check for robbers, but isn't nearly as bright, and is more suited to long range, whereas the m6 is perfect for close range.
both lights will blind you if you turn them on with nightvisioned eyes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif (if you shine them in the fase of a robber with his nightvisioned eyes, you will cause him quite a bit of discomfert.

to use in your car, it's a good idea to have a lithium light.
a brinkmann legend lx is a very cheap and beright model often found at wallmart. it uses lithium batteries, which have a longer shelflife and can withstand colder temperatures.
a recharable such as a tigerlight would be nice also (no, i'm not a tigerlight rep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif )

for your pocket one light just won't do...you need at least two.
an arc aaa is a definate, it's small, bright (for it's size) and indesructable.
a surefire e2e is also a good blend of size and brightness.
the arc aaa and sf e2e is the most common edc (every day carry) combo you will find around here.
the sf l4 is very similar to the e2e, but it's a led, so that will replace the e2e in most cases, but can't throw quite as far.
the arc ls is also very common, and is a good midway between the aaa and the e2e.
there are an infinate number of options for edc...i personally carry an arc aaa, sf e2e, and minimag with a madmax+ installed.
that fills most needs..but i'm never satisfied and am in the process of updating my carry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
With two flashlights, all of your needs could be met. A Surefire G2 would be an excellent light for camping, robber checking, car breakdowns, and it is pocketable. A small Led light, such as an Opalec on a mini-mag would be a great light for camping and has a long runtime.

I've used my G2 for camping and it was extremely impressive for it's size. Unless you need a spot to illuminate targets for hunting at 100 yards, the G2 is more than enough light for camping. When I broke mine out the first time camping with it I compared it to my brother-in-laws 500,000cp spot light. His spot must have been over-rated, because the G2 was just about as impressive. His spot threw a beam farther, but not seemingly very much farther. Within 50 feet or so, the G2 beat it lighting up the trees.

The only other light I would suggest would be some 2 AA led for camping also. You wouldn't always need the light output of the G2, and a good Led light would last many more hours also. I've used an Opalec converted mini-mag for camping, and in most cases, especially on dark nights, it works very well for walking trails and general illumination needs.

The G2 can be had for around $27. A mini-mag/Opalec combo would be around $35. There are also less expensive Led lights that would be as good. With those two lights all your bases would be covered (in lumens!)

james

p.s.

onryou, I'm hoping you don't have robbers with night vision goggles in your house very often!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Some other options/ opinions:

For camping: A2 - Incandescent for good throw to see if it's a bear or squirel. Three LED's for low level assist in moving around without blowing away your night vision as well as inside tent.

For home: L4 - Quick room illumination and bright enough for disorientation of B guy hidding in the closet.

For car breakdown: PM6 with LED module - Bright with good throw, adjustable beam angle and most important, moderate flood (remove reflector) to full flood (remove head for candle mode) You can also have the incandescent LA available for longer throw still.

For your pocket: Something from the land of Arc.

- Don

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
James, AFAIK, the G2 isn't waterproof at all. Personally, that's a no-go for me, living in a rather wet place.

My EDC is a SF M2 w/LOLA and a SF L1 and I think they could easily cover all the needs of camping, EDC and checking out the house. It is possible that replacing the M2 with an L4 would be an optimization, as long as the waterproof issues have been worked out. I'm happy with the M2 and not in a hurry to buy an L4, but I would probably get an L4 if I were buying today.

Personally, I'd suggest a UK 2L for the car.

I think that would do it, but if you want to add to it, I'd suggest adding a long life light to the car and a dedicated house light (so the batteries are always fresh).

For the car, I would consider a Minimag w/Newbeam module, glass lens, Kroll tailcap and lithium batteries or CMG Infinity Ultra.

For the house, SF M6, M4 or M3. If you are not using w/a firearm, you could probably use an alternate SF light (non "M" light). Get as bright a light as possible, keep fresh batteries in it and avoid casual use to avoid running the batteries down. If you are using with a longarm, you really want a firearm mounted light.

-john

Ardent

Newly Enlightened
My two cents: (Hi everyone!)
Camping: I'm going to try a couple of the CMG lights, the bonfire & bonfire-blaze, and maybe the phoenix, for the tent & tent area. My SF M3 and sons' Z3 will give power and throw when needed. Palights are ideal for that night time trip to the rest rooms.

For home / robbers: Cant beat a tigerlight with pepper spray. I got my folks one after a robber came to their bed with a gun. He was wearing a bulletpoof vest. (they live in a relatively low crime area, this was rather traumatic. They now have a Shepard and a tigerlight).

Car: Something with a lithium battery, so three years from now when you break down, it works. Brinkman LX is cheap enough to throw it in there and forget it (any nicer and I would not leave it!)

Pocket: In that rare moment when you must have a light, my photon is there on my keychain. The photon II is the one to get. For a nicer light, an Arc AAA, Arc LS, SF E2E, or if you were lucky - a McLux. I tend to grab one of the latter three depending on my needs.

A new & fun light is the Innova 24/7 which I clip on my pants or belt. It is a versatile light that can fill many roles, (but not for power & throw).

Regards

Arden

Ardent

Newly Enlightened
- another thought
Camping: Petzl Zipka, if you want to use both hands.

The petzl was handy for carrying buckets of maple sap in from the woods at night, both hands & light needed.

Innova 24/7 clipped to belt is another option I suppose.
I'm not sure if it as useful as having the light on your head. (I see a headband is an option for it though, but probably not as compact as the zipka).

-Arden

- Arden

interpol

Newly Enlightened
Next time I go camping, I'm going to try bringing a G2 and C3, extra batteries and lamp assemblies in SC1 spares carriers, and either a KL3 1-watt or KL5 5-watt LED head. The advantage of this setup is the interchangeability of the batteries and LED heads with either the G2 or C3.

Screehopper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
E2E4ME said:
I only camp during the day so I don't need a light!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Camping usually involves staying overnight. Does it not? One of the highlights of mountaineering/backpacking/camping is so one can USE their arsenal of flashlights!

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got back from adirondack mtns on the 5th, I used the L4 and A2 the most. Although the Fusion headlamp was the choice for wood gathering because I didn't always have a hat on to clip the L4 and A2 to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Now that I have blinded myself with my Inova X5T.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif):

The Inova X5T is good for most situations. While not a spot, it throws surprisingly well, and has a very good balance between brightness and runtime. Runs on 2 CR123A Lithium for 20 hours total (8-10 hours bright). Fits nicely in Nite Ize headband.

The Brinkmann Legend LX is a very bright focusable xenon/halogen (around 61 lumens), with 1 hour runtime, and uses 2 CR123A.

The Arc LS line is also excellent. Nice and bright (Premiums are brighter), with 5 hours bright light and several hours of moon mode. Runs on one CR123A or 2AA (NiMH, alkaline, or lithium AA), with the optional TSP-2AA pack. Fits in Nite Ize headband.

The CMG Ultra is also a very nice light. Runs for about 20 hours on 1 alkaline AA, and can use a Lithium AA for those very cold times. Also fits in Nite Ize headband. The civilian version (not Ultra G) comes with a clip and a neck lanyard. The clip can be used to clip to the brim of a hat if you need both hands free and light at the same time. Brightness is about the same as the Arc AAA, with longer runtime.

The Arc AAA give about 5 1/2 hours bright on 1 AAA. I don't have one of these, as I prefer AAs.

The Brinkmann Rebel is a single LED with a focusing lens, and runs on 2AAs. It can run on NiMH, alkalines, or lithium AAs. While not that bright, it is brighter than you think, and gets decent throw. Note: the 4 LED Rebel is the Rebel 2 and uses 2D cells.

The Princeton Tec Impact also uses a focusing lens, but, is much brighter than the Rebel. It runs on 4 AA alkalines. It is much better than the Rebel and total advertised runtime is 150 hours.

I can recommend all of the above lights.

For long duration power outages (measured in days or weeks), I can recommend the Lightwave 3000 or 4000. I have the 4000 (3D and 10 LEDs).

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
e2e4me, i was refering to night-adapted eyes...not night vision goggles.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
onryou:

For defensive purposes, do you mean with a handgun, or without? You want something as bright as possible, momentary-on ONLY switch (no clickie!), rugged and reliable, good spot but enough surrounding light to see an entire room at once. I'd want something like a C2, Z2, or G2Z, all w/ P61 bulbs. If I could afford a bit more, I'd get the M3. All of those will work for Harries or Rogers with a handgun. Agree with people recommending the M6, but the thing goes for well over $300 now, so the lights above give a nice range of prices. If I'm keeping this light at home and never carrying it, I might consider the relatively inexpensive and astoundingly bright Tigerlight, though it's got a clickie switch and thus isn't my fave choice.

For camping, I'd go with a headlamp, specifically the Princeton Tec Aurora or one of its close competitors. You need no-hands operation for camping, and the Aurora gives several light levels and is comfortable. No ideas on a camping "spotlight", though you couldl bring your defensive light along with LOLA for a higher-intensity beam.

For your car when you break down, you'll want a light that you can keep in your glove compartment for a long time (that means lithium batteries), something that's not too expensive (would you spend a lot on a light that may only be used once every couple of years?) and is very water resistant (let's face it, your car will break down in the rain). In addition, you need enough light and runtime to do your repairs. The obvious choice here is the UKE 2L: dive-capable water resistance, runs on two lithium lights, inexpensive, reliable, perfect balance of runtime and brightness.

For your pocket, you want something that's small enough that you'll actually carry it. For me, the Arc LS is my absolute limit on size, and it's also a great brightness/runtime tradeoff.

O

onryou

Hey, guys, Thanks for all the feedback, I was quite suprised when I came and seen 15 replys, thanks!

Also, I would like to add, I love surefire, and arc... and yes, I would be wielding an HK compact 45. So, the one for home defence or checking for robbers it would be nice if it doesnt interfer with my aim... I'd also like water proof as much as possiable, for the ones in the car and camping, that would be very improtant... Thanks again guys, you rock.

onryou.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... Open ended question... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

FL for Camping/spot light.
-Vector (any one of them) or an X990 if you don't care about price...

FL for checking to see if there are robbers in my house.
-SureFire M6 or 10X Dominator...

FL for my car when I break down.
-BB/MM module or SureFire (E2e to M2 size) or Legend LX/Scorpion

FL for my pocket.
-E2x variations (L4/E2e/KL1) or a keychain light, like an ArcAAA or CMGUltra...

There's way too much stuff to go in and separate out or figure out which fits what... In an open-ended brainstorm like this, just get 'em all...

paulr

Flashaholic
For a long time before I went into full bore flashaholism a few months ago, my lights were:
1) household: some generic incan, most recently Mag 3D
2) car: generic plastic 2C in the glove box
3) EDC: Photon II (earlier: Mag Solitaire) on key chain
4) Semi-EDC (in belt pack, not always carried but
always taken when travelling, camping, etc): UKE 2L

The UKE 2L has been a great camping light. I never felt I needed a headlamp or anything brighter than the 2L. Its main drawback was battery expense (123's at $5 or more each), but 123's have gotten much cheaper recently.

Re other lights mentioned above:

1) Minimag/Opalec: I still for the life of me can't figure out why this combo is so popular. It weighs a ton (well, around 5 ounces, anyway 2x as much as the UKE 2L) and costs a bundle (you can get a BB400 module for just a little more than the Opalec). When camping and travelling, every ounce you have to lug around counts, so I was overjoyed to ditch my Minimag for the UKE 2L. Who really cares about 10+ hours of runtime? Why are you going to run a light all night? A few minutes to set up a tent or walk somewhere is generally all I've ever needed from the UKE on any outing. If you really need an all-night light for reading in your tent, try a CMG Infinity for $12 (uses just one AA).

2) Surefire L4: drooool, yes I want one of these, might replace the UKE with it, though I'd be a bit scared of losing it. But I want it just out of flashaholism, I haven't figured a real use for it that the UKE doesn't do just as well.

3) EDC: I supplemented my (green) Photon II with an Arc AAA and love it. I also have a CMG Ultra and that's a real nice light too, though a bit heavy. The coming Arc AA will be lighter.

4) Surefire M6: man that is an awesome light. I doubt I'll ever buy one but it's incredible to try out. Note that it take a half second or so to come up to full brightness, which might matter in some tactical situation. Anyway I can't see myself buying a $300 light just to use on robbers, but YMMV.

5) PM6 with LED mod: a beautiful McGizmo creation as always, but awfully expensive to just leave in your car for occasionally fixing a flat or whatever. I want to upgrade my car light (now a generic 2D) but will probably stay incan, maybe to one of those $13 Dorcy 2L lights if my local Costco gets them sometime, or maybe a PT 40. The upgrade is partly to get more light, partly to switch to a smaller light to make more space in the glove box.

6) Inova 5T: well-made light but seems kind of silly, oversized, overweight, uses two 123's but with half the output of a 1 watt LS light.

My feeling about Luxeon LED lights in general is they're functionally superior to similarly-powered incans, but not by so much as to make them cost effective unless you have special requirements (e.g. caving) or you're a flashaholic (buying the light for its technical niftyness as well as for functionality). We're talking about a $70+ Arc LS vs a $6.50 PT Blast, for example. The Surefire L4 at $120 is a bit more attractive if you need the small size for EDC and the alternative is an E2e ($70-ish), but if you don't mind a slightly larger light, there's the Surefire G2 at under $30, or the Dorcy if you can find it, etc.

For low-powered lights, of course, LED's rule.

Anyway, my low-cost/practical suggestions are:

Keychain light: Arc AAA ($13), the best light of this type. Downscale alternative: $1.00 LED coin cell light from Countycomm.

Pocket light: PT Blast ($6.50 from TTS). Upscale alternative: Arc LS, Surefire E1/KL1

Camping: PT Blast, plus a spare one for backup (three of them with batteries weigh less than a 2AA Minimag).
Upscale alternatives (more brightness): UKE 2L, Surefire E2e or L4.

Robbers: dunno, not my area

Car: PT 40?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I normally go for night hikes/trail runs, and usually my choice is a Pelican 2610 Headsup (3 LED) headlamp to light the way, and a UKE 2L for looking ahead.

The LED headlamp gives me good light to see where I'm stepping, and its lightweight, along with extremely good battery life.

What I like about the UKE 2L is (apart from the fact that its waterproof) that its virtually indestructable with its ABS body and rubberised bezel. Also, because its twist on/off, so there's less moving parts, so to speak, hence less chances for breakdown. Plus lithium batts (as everyone here has probably mentioned) means that it'll still work even if you leave it aside for a few years of non usage! Great for emergencies...

-For camping, I'd still stick with my Pelican 3LED and UKE...
-For robbers, Heck, they can take my money (cos I don't have much of it and live alone), just leave my flashlights alone..
-For the car, a good reliable LED light (for good batt runtime), and something like a E2e or UKE for signalling to other cars...
-EDC, I'm still stuck with my el-cheapo single LED Photon imitation (although much larger than a Photon), else one of those Arcs would do the job nicely.

P/S, Screehopper: I agree with you on the fact that the fun in camping overnight is to be able to use and show off our flashlights!! The same reason I prefer night hiking/trail running too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif