Fenix TA30 over PD30 R2

slayergut

Newly Enlightened
Hi, i have been carrying a fenix PD30 R2 with me as an EDC for a few months now,and i'm very happy with it. I was looking at the fenix TA30 and thought that i might buy it for use when i go camping or backpacking.
What i want to know is, since my PD30 R2 is rated at 235 lumens and the TA30 at 225 lumens,what are the advantages the TA30 would give me over the PD30 R2, and the disadvantages?
If there isnt much difference between the performance of the lights,i think i might as well bring my PD30 for the job.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TA30 runtime
Low (9 Lumens, 115Hrs)
Med (60 Lumens, 25Hrs)
High (225 Lumens, 3.5Hrs)
Strobe (230 Lumens, 7Hrs)

Fenx PD30+
General Mode: 10 lumens (65hrs)
70 lumens (9hrs)
125 lumens (4hrs)
Turbo Mode: 235 lumens (1.5hrs)

are the differences clearer now? But you got to bear in mind also that the TA30 is longer than the PD30. I own one and its a great light.

It can run using:-

3xCR123/RCR123
2x14500
2x17500

the brightness levels remain the same to my eye and i believe that runtime MAY be better using 2x17500.

In an emergency, you can use normal AAs or even NiMH eneloops.

Using 2xAA duracells, the light was working, output was less but can still change levels with max (of course not 225) but i could still ramp the levels up and down.

Using 2xNiMH eneloops, all light levels remained the same, i.e. LOW but any light is still better than no light.

If you want to take a look at the TA30 to compare, drop me a PM, i can give you the contact of a supplier in singapore.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
As one who has had both lights I would add... The TA30 is the most indestructible feeling light I have ever held. It (while not the same as a knife or club) is a much better self defense weapon than the PD30R2

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My point of view:

TA30 is a very robust flashlight and if you mainly want to use the highest mode it will provide a long runtime related to the numbers of batteries, so there is a good point.
When it comes to mid mode it's the same as with my TK10: it's lower than the stated 60lm actually around 45lm. Personally I think it's too low and would prefer twice the brightness than the actual, that would still give around 9hr runtime. In my opinion it's too big gap between mid and high mode, and here PD30 R2 is better with as well 70 and 125lm options. The 125lm mode runs for 4 hours and will likely be perceived as not very much dimmer as the 225lm of TA30.
I have not tried PD30 R2 but think TA30 is better for the hold comfort, it fills up your hand a bit more, something I like.

About using with 2AA, I have the same experience as Hyperloop, it's an advantage that it can be used with AA's though not high, but useful brightness.

The robustness and the quite aggressive bezel makes at mentioned above TA30 to a potential self defensive weapon, which likely will work as usual after action... But it's a bit aggressive for my liking. I am worry for damaging the clothes if bringing it with me in a pocket...

My conclusion: for the best allround use I think PD30 R2 is better. The size is more practical and the modes are better spaced.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the TA30 have better throw compared to the PD30?

Hi there fellow singaporean. Head on over to this beamshot comparison website.

Once you are there, either open another window or a tab and go to the same site. Then on the lower right side of the screen, click on the beamshots for "road dry" do the same for the other window/tab.

Once that is done, look for Fenix PD30, click on that, then look for Turbo output (next to the column that has the different venues for the shots), immediately under that is the Fenix TA30.

By having 2 tabs open i just switched between them and it is clear from those shots that the TA30 throws further but the PD30 is a more floody beam.

hope this helps.

se4g4e

Newly Enlightened
Does the TA30 have better throw compared to the PD30?
I own both of those lights. The TA30 has a little more throw, slightly brighter hotspot, a smoother beam pattern, and is slightly brighter on low. All those differences are only noticeable to me when doing a side by side comparison. Beam size/pattern is nearly identical. The TA30 will give longer run time. Of course the TA30 is significantly larger than the PD30. That may be important to you when backpacking.

hunterz

Newly Enlightened
Hi there fellow singaporean. Head on over to this beamshot comparison website.

Once you are there, either open another window or a tab and go to the same site. Then on the lower right side of the screen, click on the beamshots for "road dry" do the same for the other window/tab.

Once that is done, look for Fenix PD30, click on that, then look for Turbo output (next to the column that has the different venues for the shots), immediately under that is the Fenix TA30.

By having 2 tabs open i just switched between them and it is clear from those shots that the TA30 throws further but the PD30 is a more floody beam.

hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing the link its very usfull that site.are there any moresites that show photos of different torch's beams

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TA30 runtime
Low (9 Lumens, 115Hrs)
Med (60 Lumens, 25Hrs)
High (225 Lumens, 3.5Hrs)
Strobe (230 Lumens, 7Hrs)

Fenx PD30+
General Mode: 10 lumens (65hrs)
70 lumens (9hrs)
125 lumens (4hrs)
Turbo Mode: 235 lumens (1.5hrs)

are the differences clearer now? But you got to bear in mind also that the TA30 is longer than the PD30. I own one and its a great light.

It can run using:-

3xCR123/RCR123
2x14500
2x17500

the brightness levels remain the same to my eye and i believe that runtime MAY be better using 2x17500.

In an emergency, you can use normal AAs or even NiMH eneloops.

Using 2xAA duracells, the light was working, output was less but can still change levels with max (of course not 225) but i could still ramp the levels up and down.

Using 2xNiMH eneloops, all light levels remained the same, i.e. LOW but any light is still better than no light.

If you want to take a look at the TA30 to compare, drop me a PM, i can give you the contact of a supplier in singapore.

Old thread I know but Did you mean that the TA30 can run on all of these different battery types? I am just trying to figure out if lights that run on CR123A can also run on these other battery types. I like alternate battery types and many of the lights I like seem to be CR123A only.

Thanks for the help.

firelord777

Enlightened
Yes jeffa, the TA30 could have used 2AA batteries, though not have turbo mode. Too bad they don't make these sweet looking lights anymore, I wish I had a TA30/TA21:(

Cheers

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
I have a TA30 and really like it but am just beginning to figure out that other batteries can be used in addition to CR123a batts. In addition to what has been posted above I read that two 17500 batteries can replace three CR123a (I guess reaffirming the above post) but am not sure how two 14500 batteries can replace three cr123a. I see that RCR123 are the same size as CR123a but they are a higher voltage as is the 17500 won't this hurt the TA30 or is the TA30 somehow able to handle the higher voltages? As you can see I'm pretty confused.

Latest posts