1D Mag-Lite Malkoff Drop-In

Phased_Array

Newly Enlightened
I received my 2-3D Malkoff 'Drop-In' and thought I'd try it in my homemade 1D Mag-Lite running on a couple AW14670's in parallel. Packs a lot of punch in a small package, but still has a decent heft to it. SMO aluminum reflector helps with the throw. In using it, it's a natural for a endcap click switch with it's small grip length.

PICT0455.jpg

PICT0454.jpg

Temporary aluminum reflector from my parts drawer, not quite laser beam performance, are there any LED optimized machined reflectors out there?
PICT0456.jpg

I drilled two holes thru the switch plastic to insert/secure the LiIon's.
PICT0457.jpg

Twin AW 1100mAH 14670's.
PICT0459.jpg

As is it has a good hot spot, and very useable side spill.
PICT0463.jpg

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Cute as a bugs ear. Wouldn't want it any shorter. Quad bored would it hold two 18650's or would you need to cut away too much of the plastic in the switch?

Bill

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice and VERY shortened MagD!

It seems actually too short to contains the batteries you use...
A tip is to get the ultra clear lens from Malkoff as well, which increases the OTP with a few percents (I have compared with my lightmeter). Maybe hard to see the difference, I know, but I find it still feeling like the light is more "brilliant" in some way...
Also the glass doesn't draw as much dust as the plastic lens does.

Regards, Patric

AdrianS

Newly Enlightened
That is pretty sweet!
Did you cut the barrel yourself?
How did you re-thread it?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you purchase the KD V3 smooth reflector it makes for a smaller more intense hotspot with no artifacts or uggly beam.

It makes it the throw more IMHO than a stock reflector!!!

bigC

pilote

Newly Enlightened
that little guy is funky looking, but what a great custom job; that's a heck of a mod...

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice.

Could you get a third cell in there? Depending on your set-up, it could make charging a bit more cumbersome, but you'd end up with similar capacity as a protected AW "C" cell.