Quark Mini 123 runtime - CR123 vs. RCR123

Bender

Newly Enlightened
Hello I am seriously considering the Quark Mini 123 but I would like to know what kind of runtimes/lumens to expect on 3.6v rechargable RCR123 versus 3.0v lithium CR123. From everything I have read a good lithium 123 is about 4w where as a rechargeable 123 is 2.5-3w. Does the increased voltage of the rechargable make up for some of this with increased efficiency?

I was thinking of going with DX SKU 3273
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3273

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Just looking quickly through some information, I have Duracell rating their CR123's (3v) at 1550 mA. Your average RCR123 (3.7v) is rated at 750 mA (some are 900). And yes, there is a corresponding difference in runtimes -- all other things being equal. Plus, depending on the circuitry, the RCR will die all at once, while the primary may give you some time to find a fresh battery.

If I misinterpreted your question, forget what I just said, and ask again. Someone with much more knowledge can better assist you.

Elliot

Newly Enlightened
A few points:
1) I assume you meant to refer to Wh or Watts-hours as a measure of capacity.
2) The MiNi will run longer with primary CR123a cells vs RCR123 cells.
3) The MiNi will run brighter on the RCR123 cells.
4) The MiNi is overdriven on the RCR123 cells and will get too hot on Max.
5) In any event the cells you pointed to on DX are too long to work in my MiNi-123

Xak

Enlightened
You could get the mini AA and run 14500 (same size as AA but 3.7V). AA are much easier to run across in a pinch.

Bender

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys.

I am still leaning toward the Mini 123 instead of the AA. I think it will be the perfect pocket sized light. After reading a bit more it looks like there are a few protected 123 batteries that may fit. Officially 4sevens says the light does not support 3.6v however they do go on to say it is fine for short periods of time on high. I would mostly be using low-medium but having the high available will be nice. My current light is a Tank 007 E07. I love it but more modes will be very useful. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/255884

hoongern

Enlightened
If you really want to run rechargeable cells in your mini 123 on high mode for extended periods, I think the LiFePO4 cells would do decently (they average 3.2V, much closer to a primary - just a little higher).

On low/medium, the ICR/IMR 3.7V cells should be fine.

Anyway, most 3.7V ICRs have inflated capacities. On 1amp discharge (I'm not sure what the discharge rate is for the Mini123), they mostly have around 500mAh or less!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run the protected grey ULTRA FIRE rcr123 in my mini w
room to spare. its a fairly recent mini ordered about
a month ago (r5 model)
i REALLY like the burst of power on high when
usuing RCR
if I know im gonna need more runtime Ill
use a primary.
gud stuff!

FenixFire

Newly Enlightened
I use my MiNi 123's with AW rcr123's. I do however, have plenty regular cr123's as backups in case of emergencies if I can't recharge my AW's.

I usually use medium in everyday use and when I do use high I usually only need it for a very short time.

Bender

Newly Enlightened
I finally found a thread with the info I was looking for. It has capacity at several discharge rates as well as actual battery dimensions.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195712

I wonder if 4sevens has tweaked the battery tube since psychbeat says his Ultrafire rcr123 fits. Those would be 35.8mm long according to the link above. I will report my findings but it may be a while before I get the mini.

Bender

Newly Enlightened
I found runtime information on CR vs. RCR at this review http://www.light-reviews.com/4sevens_quark_mini_cr123/

The primary lithium has over twice the runtime on medium. Output on the rechargeable is a staggering 255 Lumens but you need to watch out for overheating :sick:

The AA version goes from 77 Lumens on high with an Eneloop to 262 Lumens on a 14500 :poof:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt the lumen ratings on light-reviews.

SS-2009.12.12-16.35.40.png

SS-2010.01.03-13.03.20.png

SS-2009.12.12-22.23.31.png

Wiz

Newly Enlightened
I found some 1300 mAh cells on eBay which are very bright in the Quark Mini. I'd like to do a runtime chart but I have the Mini titanium and that gets almost to hot to hold after just a couple minutes using them, so I don't like the idea of running it for 40-60 minutes. After about 10 lots of 1 minute bursts, high level no longer seems too hot, but it's still brighter than primaries, so maybe I can work out some kind of combined test.

Last edited:

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
I found some 1300 mAh cells on eBay which are very bright in the Quarl Mini. I'd like to do a runtime chart but I have the Mini titanium and that gets almost to hot to hold after just a couple minutes using them, so I don't like the idea of running it for 40-60 minutes. After about 10 lots of 1 minute bursts, high level no longer seems too hot, but it's still brighter than primaries, so maybe I can work out some kind of combined test.

you realize that they are no where near 1300mAh, right? they are about HALF that.

Wiz

Newly Enlightened
you realize that they are no where near 1300mAh, right? they are about HALF that.

Well I had no idea as I've never tested one scientifically. I'm guessing you have or have seen a test? Is there a report I can view online anywhere?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
No tests, but we haven't seen cells that high in capacity around.

Even AW cells, regarded as the high quality you can get, are rated to 750mAh

Wiz

Newly Enlightened
No tests, but we haven't seen cells that high in capacity around.

Even AW cells, regarded as the high quality you can get, are rated to 750mAh

The only think that might be worth pointing out is that these aren't protected cells. Without the protection circuit there is more room so it's possible they have a higher capacity than a protected cell of the same size. Having said that, I'm also highly sceptical that they are anything over 1000 mAh.

I have a cheap CR123 light that is designed to run on RCRs only (it's really dim on CR123s) I'll run one out and maybe I'll be able to work out roughly what the true capacity is from that.

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
Hello I am seriously considering the Quark Mini 123 but I would like to know what kind of runtimes/lumens to expect on 3.6v rechargable RCR123 versus 3.0v lithium CR123. From everything I have read a good lithium 123 is about 4w where as a rechargeable 123 is 2.5-3w. Does the increased voltage of the rechargable make up for some of this with increased efficiency?

You don't want to buy those Bender, they don't fit.

I have tried the gray & white label Ultrafire/Trustfire in mine and they are too long.

So far the only battery I have seen reports on is AW's 16340.

The DX 16340's have had a pretty high fail rate for me also. The last 2 pack I ordered contained two that would die within 3 min on high in a ti 123 reg Quark.

ky70

Banned

Hello Bender, those batteries will not fit (at least for me). I have the Qmini123 and those batteries...they are too tall for my q mini as there is a lot of resistance when trying to tighten the qmini head with this size battery. I tried a couple of times but I didn't want to force it...especially with the light being small and the heat issue when using RCR123s, I didn't think it was worth the risk.

I succesfully use an AW RCR123 daily in this light with no fit or performance issues.

Last edited:

NightKids

Enlightened