Surefire Clicky Switch - Failures ?

Bob96

Enlightened
I have read a few posts that the Surefire Clicky Switch used in the E body or the M size lights can be damaged or fail by too many amps feed through it? Anyone know the maximum amp load that can be safely carried by these switches to avoid damage or failure?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know the specs, but the e series clickie had a high rate of failure years ago before SF changed the design. The current E clickie cannot be used with IMR/LiMn batteries and high drain lamps, a small gauge spring inside will deform and cause failure. C,P,M series clickies are engineered for higher currents such as would be used by the P91 and MN61. What setup are you looking to put together?

Bob96

Enlightened
I was looking to use the HO Lumen Factory bulbs with AW - IMR Batterys.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what the failure rate is with clicky switches in general?

I took apart a cheaper light that was having a clicky switch problem and noticed that the microswitch looked similar to one we used in a product at a former workplace.

They were small Honeywell microswitches and in general they just aren't that robust of a product in some applications.

Nothing particularly wrong with the product but it's just a little too small to be robust when used continuously.

It's kind of like clicking a ballpoint pen over and over. It's not going to last forever.

I actually prefer magnetic switching or even twisty switching over clicky but the market seems to favor clicky.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking to use the HO Lumen Factory bulbs with AW - IMR Batterys.

You should be fine with that setup in any configuration. If you decide to use the EO or IMR lamps, an E series clickie might fail on you.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be fine with that setup in any configuration. If you decide to use the EO or IMR lamps, an E series clickie might fail on you.
Despite those pompous names (like "extreme high-output" and IMR), virtually all E Series lamp assemblies draw less than 2Amps.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
And what about SW02?

I have one and I'm thinking use it. I've seen some of these with Surefire Legos and KTs, but i'm not sure about its aperage limit.
Would there be some problem use it with high drain lamps like MN21, FM1764 or WA1111?