Tec 40 or Impact

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the bug today.
grin.gif
Wanna spend a little money. Which would you choose?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH geez, I forgot the creedo, "get both!".
Well while we got the time, what do you like/dislike about them? Which do you prefer better?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well.... The Tec40 is what I would call "the poor man's E2". About the same output as the E2, but a lot less cost. Get the textured reflector - it should come with it already, but some are packaged with the smooth reflector.

The Impact runs a single nichia white LED in a deep reflector behind a convex lens, creating a relatively tight LED beam. If you prefer a longer range beam as opposed to a flood of light from an LED flashlight, the Impact is a good choice. In an unscientific comparison I did this morning, I could make out the same detail at the same distance using the Impact or a Tektite Expedition 300 (7 LEDs). The 300 gave a larger flood of light while the Impact created a distinct "spot" of light, illuminating a smaller area, but effectively having the same throw despite using only one LED.

As a bonus, the bodies of the 40 and Impact are interchangable. Also, PT makes an Impact 2 - runs on AAA instead of AA and output is almost identical (less than a 10% difference in initial output between the two). Check out Pocketlights.com - they have them.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a Tec 40 and an Attitude 4aaa 3 led.

I like my Tec 40 a bunch!!! I haven't found a LED light yet that isn't blue tinted.

Haven't yet tried an Impact.

So if I had to do it over now, knowing what I know... TEC 40 BABY!!!!

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two very different lights. The Tec 40 is a great all around flashlight. Very bright and easy to feed (AA). I prefer LED flashlights, but I'm not a big fan of the single LED models, unless they're tiny (Photon, Arc AAA, etc). The Impact is just too large for too little light. The output between it and the 40 is barely comparable. I prefer the 3 LED PT Attitude. Smaller, more light, diffuse.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the PT 40 & one of JB's 3 LED PR base bulbs. If you have rechargable AA's, get the 4.5V LED, & a 3D bulb for your bright light. If you plan to use alkalines, get the 6V LED & the bulb that comes with the PK 40 for your bright light. TX

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Impact, and I think it's WAY too big for a single LED light. I put the buisness end of my Impact on a Tec20 body and powered it up with 2 3.6V lithium batteries...now it's half the size and has the same output. I then put the buisness end of the Tec20 on the Impact's body, loaded it up with a Radio Shack 5.2V halogen bulb, and now I have a Tec40 that says "Impact" on the side! IMHO, for a single LED light the Impact II makes a lot more sense as far as size is considered...

PJD

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my lights are special and I like them all exactly the same
grin.gif

But since you asked;

I like my Tec 40 over the Impact. My Impact is too blue for my taste and gives me the impression of being dark, possibly because of the blue. The textured reflector is definitely a plus. I also have a very old smooth 40 that looks almost like it did new despite being toted around in a tool kit and smashed around in airplanes (the kit with the light inside). Very rugged and still on the original bulb! I prefer the Attitude over the Impact in regards to beam appearance.