Toughest LED for ATV riding?

AdrianS

Newly Enlightened
Do any of you guys have a suggestion for a flashlight that would hold up when riding ATVs?
I already have 2 3D Mag LEDs.
I guess I am looking for economical, brightness, and durability.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if you mean to strap to the machine, or to carry with you for backup lighting.
If it is for backup lighting, and you are carrying it strapped to the machine, or in a storage compartment on the machine, make sure what ever light you have is seriously shock protected in foam. The jarring will beat the crap out of most anything on a long haul.

I would go for Surefires myself. I've had a couple beaten pretty badly, that the contacts just wore off from the batteries hammering them constantly.
I now carry anything electronic in pockets or backpacks.

If you are stranded, duct taping pretty much any decent light to the front will get you out of a jam.

AdrianS

Newly Enlightened
I will mostly be keeping the flashlight in my pack in the back of the atv.
I will look into the surefire flashlights.
Where is the best retailer/website for these?

Thanks,
Adrian

AdrianS

Newly Enlightened
I just looked up the Surefire on Amazon.
79.99 was way too much!!
I am looking for a budget light.
I was thinking more along the lines of a AA Maglite LED or one from Tenergy. I am not sure if the tenergy is any good though.
I guess I was hoping to somehow use nimh AA batteries because I have a lot of the AA tenergy batteries and a nice charger. I could take spares with me, and I don't mind charging batteries.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at something like the Mag LED and get some Lithium batteries.
The LED will shed a bit more light and should be a bit more durable than the normal Mags.
In my luck, I find that when I needed my lights, it was COLD, and the alkalines or rechargeables sucked in the cold weather.

If it's in your backpack then many will be fine there.
Consider a headlamp as if you have to work on the machine, you will have both hands free.

paintballdad

Enlightened
You should definitely look into LEDs, incandescent lamps won't hold up to the jarring of an ATV. Surefires are usually the first choice when tough and reliable come to mind, but the price is prohibitive to some.

Inovas are also known for their robust build and reliability and are more affordable than Surefires. Check out the new X2, it runs on 2AA batteries and rated at 85 lumens (and i believe that's out the front lumens and not emitter lumens). They are available online at Battery Junction or Target for B&M stores.

AdrianS

Newly Enlightened
How does the 2 AA MagLED compare to the Surefire in brightness?

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
I gave a buddy a 1xAA River Rock from target, He rode with it a few times. Nothing wrong with it EXCEPT the plastic lens got really scratched up after a few drops in the mud. Which the output really suffered afterwards.
So what ever light you end up with make sure it has a glass lens. I think most you pickup a B&M store has plastic.

Jay611j

Enlightened
Check out http://www.dorcydirect.com/. They have some pretty bright lights at fairly cheap prices. I believe Target carries the Dorcy brand as well. I've purchased flashlights from this website and the customer service is great in my experience.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the 2 AA MagLED compare to the Surefire in brightness?

Put it this way, You could duct tape a SF Led to your bars & ride out, I wouldn't try that with the MagLED. Doable, but would not be as fun.

If your looking for something to do repairs with, signal, walk out etc, the 2AA is more than adequate.