AA to D battery adapters in flashlights.

AdrianS

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering...
How durable are AA to D battery adapters?
Who makes the best ones and where can I get them?

AdrianS

Newly Enlightened
I also was wondering, what would be the best to get?

1 AA to D
2 AA to D
or..
3 AA to D

Thanks!
Adrian

filibuster

Enlightened
I've used and tried a few different adapters and there are differences between them. I've settled on the version that Sanyo uses in their eneloop power pack and other kits that include AA cells. They are also sold separately like below.

The one issue with the above type adapters is that the actual AA cell provides the base electrical contact connector. The bottom of a AA cell isn't that big so it may cause problems with some D cell devices that are expecting a larger surface area for the contact.

The adapters that I've had mixed results with are those that are translucent in color that open in a clam shell manner. The plastic hinges on the adapter will break at times.

There are adapters that also take two AA cells in parallel. The bottom of the adapter opens up and two AA cells can be slid in next to each other. The idea is great but the problem with the some models of this adapter is that the metal conductor pad on the bottom is recessed too far into the plastic base and I've had problems with getting some devices I'm using them with to actually make a connection with the metal contact on the bottom of the adapter. In other words the bottom spring or contact in some flashlight, lanterns and radios is too big and the bottom of these "double" adapters ends up acting as an insulator preventing a circuit from being formed.

I have seen a new model (but haven't tested) of these double AA adapters that have a much larger base contact which should prevent the problem just described but the hinges on them are still plastic and could eventually wear out.

The Sanyo adapters aren't much if any different from generic versions of the same type which are only different in color. The best prices I've seen are on eBay.

Last edited:

AdrianS

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of that info!!
I am looking at the links now.