Control ring RRT2 vs TA21

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Just curious if anyone has any feedback on the performance of the control rings on Jetbeams' RRT vs Fenix's TA 21. Also curious how the beams compare flood vs throw.

Thanks

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
Well, I don't have TA21 and RRT-2, but I have TA30 and RRT-1. If they're similiar then....

The ring on Fenix is tight and requires more force to turn (it's very hard to operate the light with only one hand), whereas RRT-1 ring is very smooth and easy to turn with your thumb. Which is better ... hard to say.

When it comes to throw, I think RRT-2 is better.

jefierro

Newly Enlightened
For the RRT-0 & 2 is a very smooth turn one hand operable with a very positive feedback click.

alex.g

Newly Enlightened
Well, I don't have TA21 and RRT-2, but I have TA30 and RRT-1. If they're similiar then....
I have both of Fenixes: TA21 and TA30. They are not similar. The ring on TA30 is really tight, but TA21 has very easy to turn ring.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ring on Fenix TA20 and TA21 is different than on TA30. It is smoother and doesn't need so much force.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the RRT-0 and the TA21 and I prefer the TA 'cause it's tighter. I'd rather have tighter and harder to turn than too loose. The RRT is not too loose but it's a bit border line.

Not good at the throw and beam thing but I can tell you that compared to the RRT-0, the TA21 is way brighter in my opinion.

GEorge

Flucero28

Enlightened
The selector ring on my RRT2 feels silky smooth as it turns, as if it is on small ball bearings. It also has very positive detents for each particular mode. In my opinion the selector ring has a perfect level of "firmness". :hitit:
The positive detents ensure it is not easy enough to accidentally dis-lodge it into another mode and it is smooth enough for one handed operation of the light (switching modes with the same hand used to carry the light), which is invaluable in many instances. As for flood vs throw, its pretty clear that the Jetbeam is built to be more of a thrower. It has a very tight and bright hotspot that I can use to illuminate a soccer field thats approximately 150 yards from my house with ease and although I have not tried, im sure the beam would reach further then that. I dont care much to use the jetbeam for real up close work though, as the hotspot is too tight for my liking. It is still usable, just not my first choice for up close work. My model has the OP reflector also, as im waiting for my smooth reflector from Bugoutgearusa for a nice little throw monster! Hope this helps!

Last edited:

JKPinPDX

Newly Enlightened
Funny, these are the EXACT lights I am considering for my NEXT torch purchase... So any of you that could do a "Flashlight Shootout/Comparison/Review would be much appreciated! :anyone:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm an idiot! Sorry, I thought it said RRT-0...nevermind, as you were... :whistle:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses guys! So does the TA21 have "detents" at the different levels as well?

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
I have the TA21 as one of my EDC and have tried the RRT-2 with SMO reflector. Both are neither flood lights and have tight hotpots and throwy. It is possible to focus spot to flood on the RRT-2 but the difference is not much. Unfortunately I didn't had a fair comparison which is brighter. The TA21 seemed brighter, but don't believe me on that yet. For flood, I use the Olight M20 diffuser.

Let me list down like this:

Fenix TA21 ----- Jetbeam RRT2:

Smoother beam, no rings ----- Slightly tighter hotspot, rings are visible
12 modes (1-9 brightness levels & 3 strobe/slow flash/sos) ----- 5 modes (Low/Med/High/Strobe/Standby)
360 control ring (meaning, you can rotate one way and all the way to the 1st mode again) ----- 180 control ring
Strong detents and loud clicking sound, still capable of one hand operation (thumb and index finger) ----- Smooth detents, much quieter and one thumb operation is enough
Crenelated bezel is part of body and tailcap ----- Removable stainless steel crenelated bezel ring and 'flat' ring for tailcap.
TA21 is lighter than RRT2 (both with 18650 batteries)
Has an aggresive feel when holding the light (sharp fins) ----- Smoother feel to it
Anondizing on RRT2 seems more durable than TA21
Olight M20 diffuser : TA21 needs an o-ring or insulation for it ----- Fits nicely on RRT2
No PWM on both lights
Both are forward clicky
Both lights can handle flat top 18650 batteries
Hrmm what else...

DSC_9154Small.jpg

Both lights have their advantages. For tactical use, I would prefer the RRT-2 because it has a standby operation which lets your move to strobe and high immediately and silently.

Does anyone have technical info how the control ring works on both lights? Magnetic?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Thanks Pseudoblue - so the TA21 feels lighter? I didn't realize how much bigger it was until I saw your picture. It seems like the RRT2 would fit in your pocket much better? No?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
1 more question ... does anyone know if either the TA21 or RRT2 or any other similar light this size w/ control ring has the newer XPG bulbs?

Gryffin

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure that photo shows a TA21 sitting next to a JETbeam RRT-0, not an RRT-2.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Woops! I'm sorry, next to the TA21 is the RRT-0. I just wanted to show the TA21 with the diffuser if you want some flood. (it's an old pic i took previously)

The RRT-2 is about the same size as TA21 but shorter length. Although RRT-2 is heavier, it's more pocket friendly than TA21, it has quite an aggresive crenelation there, could tear a hole in your pocket. If you want something smaller, the RRT-0 is very good but it's not a XPG.

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
So do actually have all 3?!! (I'm kind of new to this forum and its nice to see others with flashlight addictions).

So how would you comparet the beam of the RRT-0 to the RRT-2 and TA21? What I'm looking for is an all around light. On the continuim between flood and throw I'd like it closer to being a thrower, but not something as tight as a Deree DBS R2.

I'm fine with the size of the RRT-2/TA 21 BUT if the beam of the RRT-0 was almost as good/bright/strong on the RRT-0 I'd take it because of the smaller size.

I've never had a light with a control ring before but I'm imaging I could use it on low to read in bed, get a drink in the night without stepping on things, have decent light on medium to hike in the mountains at night with the knowledge of good runtime and on high be able to light up a house or vehicle 100 yards away. Can the RRT-0 do that?

Thanks!

rick

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ring on Fenix is tight and requires more force to turn (it's very hard to operate the light with only one hand)[/url]

+1, it is nigh on impossible to turn the ring of the TA30 with one hand, i intend to try and smoothen it and will update once i have experimented a wee bit.

coolperl said:
When it comes to throw, I think RRT-2 is better.

The TA30 throws pretty well too as can be seen when you look for the beamshots here

what i like about the TA30 are its runtimes and cell versatility, i am running my TA30 on 2x17500s but it can run on:-

2x14500s: no discernible loss in output

3xCR123s: as recommended by manufacturer

3xRCR123s: i use unprotected cells

2xAA NiMH: i use eneloops, output is diminished, i would say down to about 10 lumens or so and using the ring does not change levels except that the light can strobe.

2xAA alkaline: output can be changed using the control ring but it is of course diminished as only 3v is going to the LEDD.

At lease i know that i can shove in whatever cells will fit and i will have SOME light.

Last edited:

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
So do actually have all 3?!! (I'm kind of new to this forum and its nice to see others with flashlight addictions).

So how would you comparet the beam of the RRT-0 to the RRT-2 and TA21? What I'm looking for is an all around light. On the continuim between flood and throw I'd like it closer to being a thrower...

I've never had a light with a control ring before but I'm imaging I could use it on low to read in bed, get a drink in the night without stepping on things, have decent light on medium to hike in the mountains at night with the knowledge of good runtime and on high be able to light up a house or vehicle 100 yards away. Can the RRT-0 do that?

Thanks!

rick
I have both TA21 & RRT-0. The RRT-2 i tried is from a friend's, he's a flashaholic and has way more lights than I have :p

The RRT-0 has a wider beam than RRT-2 and TA21 for sure. I'm using an OP reflector on the RRT-0. It fits the all-around criteria for me and I hope for you too.

"I'm imaging I could use it on low to read in bed, get a drink in the night without stepping on things":
Yeap, the low mode is actually about 2+ lumens instead of 1. Still a little bright with night adapted eyes but lower than TA21/RRT-2's. Still a good reading light. The diffuser you see in my pic works very well.

"have decent light on medium to hike in the mountains at night with the knowledge of good runtime":
I went for short hikes with my RRT-0 and the 50 lumens mode is sufficient. Better with diffuser for more flood. Can't comment proper on runtime, but they seem to last for hours on the 25/50 lumens mode. But of course the TA21 + 18650 is way more. Bring extra batteries. I use a RCR123 Li-ION (16340) btw.

"on high be able to light up a house or vehicle 100 yards away. Can the RRT-0 do that?":
Yes, 100 yards seems about there. :thumbsup: