Any reason not to get a Lenser P7?

jt7747

Newly Enlightened
First post....Any reason not to get the LED Lenser P7. I'm based in UK, best price is 40 pounds.

I'm new to this forum, what a staggering array of LED torches there are! I wonder if any are much better than the P7, or whether that's as solid a choice as I can find.

If you agree it's a good bet then I'll order tomorrow. I have a police tech focus but am looking for something with a bit more throw. Will probably use with nimh long lasting ones (can't remember their technical name, the 800mah ones).

Thanks a lot

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput
I was going to get one then I found this web site so I got a Fenix PD30 instead about the same money £45 from flashaholics with the discount code cpf, my only concern was useing cr123 batteries as high street price is scary but many good deals online if you buy 10 at a time.
Im glad I did and now I have rechargable 123 as well.
Been using the torch for about 10months now its taken some abuse at work and on camping holidays and I am still very pleased and suprised, dont think I will ever look at a focusing torch again or one with bad regulation unless super bright.
Also try the google search above for each light and see what others think for the money there are many better and smaller lights have you looked at the ez123 by nitecore 180 lumens vs led lenser 167lumens in tempory boost.
AA are very handy but cr123 deliver more power etc Im sure other will explain better than me anyway happy shopping and welcome.:welcome:

Last edited:

LeifUK

Enlightened
This will give you some idea about the LL P7:

http://translate.google.com/translate?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.messerforum.net%2Fshowpost.php%3Fp%3D504265%26postcount%3D13&sl=de&tl=en&hl=en

It is very hard to find realistic performance figures for this light (output levels and runtimes to 50%) but maybe someone here knows.

I can't speak for you, but I prefer a torch with good regulation, but that is a personal choice, and you may prefer the LL approach. It does have a focusing head which looks neat. What you buy is determined by your needs. Doh! So it is hard to comment further.

tolkaze

Enlightened
I have one of these, it was my first LED light, and since then have bought probably 15 more... and quite simply, i just don't use the LL P7. The throw is probably only good for medium distance, being an optic it just doesn't get the light out the front like a reflector can, and the wide angle just seems restrictive. When you put it on wide, you get a nice flood, but the beam has very sharp edges... no diminishing spill.

It has its strong points, and weak points.

Pros:
-Good quality construction
-Common batteries = cheap batteries
-'zoom' works as advertised
-Bright (initially)
-Doesn't get too hot with use
-Simple UI

Cons:
-AAA battery form factor is a sloppy way of getting 6v
-AAA Batteries also have very low capacity for the amount of space they take up
-Cannot use rechargeables (well, you can, but you void warranty)
-AAA batteries voltage will sag under load, giving reduced output - this is a design feature to not have regulation, so the light has longer run time, at a reduced output
-the LED is on a little tower, meaning heat sinking isn't very effective, you will notice this in a drop in output when it gets warm
-Highest output mode can only be gained by holding down the clicky
-Due to focussing head, probably not waterproof (despite the o-rings... the air from the head has to go somewhere when it is moved)

There are lots of threads around about this light. I liked it a lot when I got it, but it has been sitting in my kit bag unused now for about a year because there are simply better lights out there. That being said, you are unlikely to find most of these other lights in a bricks and mortar store, also as mentioned, most other batteries are either expensive for primaries, or expensive to buy a rechargeable solution.

If you want an okay, but not great light, with good build quality, that uses common batteries, this light is an okay choice.

LeifUK

Enlightened
As tolkaze indicates, you might want to go for a torch that takes AA batteries, rather than AAA due to the greater capacity, and AA are readily available, in both use once and rechargeable flavours.

The use really does strongly influence choice. The LL P7 would be quite unsuitable for cross country running as the beam is either narrow, or flood, whereas running needs a mix of the two. But your usage may be quite different, and the LL P7 beam profile might be ideal for you.

collo

Newly Enlightened
The P7 was my first serious LED light too.

It's compact size makes for a good glovebox light - I run Eneloops in it , recharging every three months.

The three-AAA cell arrangement makes it a nuisance to top up with some chargers though. (mine only supports 2 or 4 cells at a time)
** just realised that mine is a different model to the P7 - the P7 has 4AA, so not a problem *** sorry...

Last edited:

cheets

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, this might be down your street --> http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/Fenix_TK20.html

For a couple of quid more this light would be nigh on indestructible and has a crackin offer that includes 4 high capacity rechargeables and an eo1 little keyring light, only in gold though. The comparison video is very useful too, shows the difference LED colour tint can have in adverse weather conditions.

I was checking out the AA format cause my sister got me a rucksack with solar charger built in, was after a solid performing torch that I could recharge whilst walking by day. It should arrive tomorrow :whistle:

If you search for selfbuilts excellent 2aa and aa roundup reviews and checkout flashaholics and thetorchsite range it might give you a good idea of what else is available to you. Then check around for prices/offers.

Hope that is some help

jt7747

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks folks, what a friendly place this is. I never knew so many people were so passionate about torches! Or flashlights!

I remember as a kid getting a 2D torch with a xenon (I think) bulb, I can remember the excitement of using it in the dark, pointing it out the window etc. Can't deny that torches are just fun. I love the idea for how small and bright the new crop are.

I do hiking where ultralight is a premium, and I have some of these for tent use http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_8&products_id=100759 which weigh only 25 grams. It's not very bright but it's light as hell. I don't currently have a bright headtorch, but I'd need one for winter stuff.

But I like the idea of a more solid handheld model for general stuff around the house and garden.

Which is generally considered the best UK supplier / site? I'd love to see one than ranks items by popularity. In most of the sites I've seen the stock range is HUGE and it's impossible for a noob like me to sort the good ones from the not so good ones. That's why I'd love to see which are the top sellers.

It seems to me a lot of you have like 10 - 20 different torches. I don't know if I'd get that many, but it's great you're so passionate

Rexlion

Enlightened
If you want the versatility of flood-to-throw adjustability, the Lensers are a good choice. I don't have the P7, but the H7 headlamp... it's my favorite headlamp.

If you didn't care about that adjustability, then I would say there are other lights out there that might be better. You could get something brighter, waterproof, even more durable, with regulated output for the same money. Nitecore, Fenix, Quark, Jetbeam, and more. But for flood-to-throw, Lenser is probably the best buy around.

LeifUK

Enlightened
And anywhere in between. It isn't a flood or spot only beam, you can adjust it to your needs.

From what I have seen, and correct me if I am mistaken, as the spot disappears, so the flood expands, which is not well suited to running. I'm not denigrating the light, just saying the beam profile would be better than some lights for some uses and not as good for others.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashaholics.co.uk is the most reputable UK retailer, I think they do a cpf discount code too.
My first light was the fenix TK20, it was designed for outdoor use specifically in mind and is practically indestructible, when you get it you get that feeling that it will last you a lifetime. Anyway it got me hooked, but after about 2 more years of buying new flashlights nothing has yet been able to match up to it and it's still the torch i find myself reaching for whenever I need one. If I had the choice of one torch and thats all then I'd buy it every time. If you get the TK20 then trust me, you won't regret it. :thumbsup:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
From what I have seen, and correct me if I am mistaken, as the spot disappears, so the flood expands, which is not well suited to running. I'm not denigrating the light, just saying the beam profile would be better than some lights for some uses and not as good for others.

Well thats what usually happens when you go from spot to flood. You can still have an intense hotspot while beefing up the surrounding corona. A lot of runners are using LL lights for running, check the aussie forums.
Similar principle to a maglight, more flood, less flood, more throw, less throw, infinite adjustability, meaning its not in steps.

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput
If you want a head torch have a look at zebra light they seem to be very popular here, would like one my self.
I currently use a petzl myo xp very comfortable and good battery life and beam spot or difused but not great regulation starts brigth and slowly dims till batts dead but does warn of low batt and steps down power automaticaly.
I want a zeba as well, as it can be used as a hand held flood and has a neat pocket clip.
I like walking and camping as well you will need a head light with a nice low for in the tent and a decent high for out side.
I mentioned the Fenix pd30 in my last post you can get a difuser for it great for use as an area light/lantern it will also fit other lights (fits the GF's nitecore ex10) as for power (there are now 3 versions of this light giving 3 beam paterns mine is the original)it has a nice sized spot and very good spill I can light up the path 20-50m ahead and still see my feet in the spill, size wise its smaller than a AA minimag but will out shine a 4d cell mag.

Have you looked at this site yet

http://fonarevka.lux-rc.com

Loads of beam shots select dry road then select Mini Mag then have a look at pd30 q5 and try mid high then turbo you will be amazed.

Also worth finding out about diffrent battery types and styles Ie sanyo aa enerloops, cr123, 18650's and chargers to match you will often get gonger run times and more power out of lights that dont use AA's

jt7747

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again folks. It appears there's a new P7 and an old P7, and the new one is brighter, but it's sometimes unclear whether a dealer stocks the new or old model. Is this right?

ps - how long does it take before a noob's posts stop being mod'd? Not that there's really much I can do about it!

jt7747

Newly Enlightened
Thanks orbspeed1. Yes, I suppose thinking rationally my priority should be to get the lightest brightest headtorch. I don't really need a bright hand held at this point, but I definitely need a decent hands free for walking. And the lighter it is, the more flexible

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I've had a P7 for a year and a half and adore it (except for the lack of a clip). It's got exceptional throw since it doesn't waste light on a spill zone. I admit I'm biased since I mostly use torches for longer range work. In that capacity it simply gets a whole heap more done with the number of lumens it's got than the fixed "spot and spill" reflector arrangements of the other brands of similar size. That lack of "spot and spill" arrangement makes it a step ahead of all my Fenixes, Nitecores and Quarks as far as I'm concerned because spill can be distracting to the eyes when using a torch at longer ranges in scrubby country. I also find runtime and performance to be great on Eneloops and Imedions and I personally prefer a non-regulated torch to a regulated one but that puts me in the minority here as in fact does liking Led Lenser.