Help picking a special new light

geoff538

Newly Enlightened
I received some birthday money from my Dad yesterday, Jan 31st. I want to purchase a new light with it that I will remember for the rest of my life. He gave me $50, but I can chip in a little bit of my own money towards the new purchase. I have some Fenix lights, Olight M20, Several mags, Surefire G2, Jet III M & RRT-0 on the way... I want something that I may decide to EDC and something that I will use a LOT and think of him every time I use it for here on out. He is dying of Leukemia sometime in the next 6 months, so I want to get something very soon, and show it to him when it arrives. I want something cool, user friendly, practical, doesn't have to be flashy. I just want something that he will think is neat, & I will appreciate and think of him when using. Something that I can pass down to my daughter 20 years from now. Any advice will be appreciated. I will read EVERY response of what and why you recommend what you do. I look forward to your opinions......

Warp

Enlightened
I have one piece of advice: If you really want to have it in 20 years do not use it for EDC. JMO

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The nicest little 1 AAA EDC I can think of is the LiteFlux LF2XT. Mine sees more use, mostly just around the house, than any other light. Fully programmable for setting just the way you want. About $65.

Geoff

geoff538

Newly Enlightened
I"ll take the advice so far to heart and research the recommended lights. Keep the ideas coming, please. As one member said, it shouldn't be used for EDC if I want it 20 years down the road. I would have to agree. I would have to keep it at home and use it around the house, etc....
Thanks for the ideas, and please shoot me more info to research your recommendations.

Geoff

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Hi Geoff,
Really sorry to hear about your dad, all power and strength to you buddy.
You mentioned that you have some lights coming in, what I was thinking is why not get dad a light? You'll probably end up with it when the time comes, it's just an idea.

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
This is just my opinion but most of the lights out there don't seem like they are built to last 20 yrs. Especially the electronic part of it. If someone can tell me a high quality light that should last me 20 yrs or more I would buy it right now without hesitation.

Maybe try to find a flashlight that has a lifetime warranty from a well established company. To me a lifetime warranty from a company that has been around for a few years doesn't mean as much as a lifetime warrant from a company that has been around for 20 yrs.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Get something from one of the smaller companies such as Ra, Malkoff, or similar and you'll have something that is hand crafted instead of manufactured.

The Ra Twisty TR ($99 from Battery Station's CPF page) is a very unique light which has a red colored low and white colored mid and high levels. It is "only" 85 lumens but those 85 lumens look very very nice and the light is about as bombproof as they come. Ra lights certainly don't feel or look as if they came down a long assembly line in a factory in a far away land. You dad would probably get a kick out of the two colors in one light.

Alternatively, the Ra EDC Executive is also $99 is you prefer a clicky and want it a bit brighter.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

Warp

Enlightened
This is just my opinion but most of the lights out there don't seem like they are built to last 20 yrs. Especially the electronic part of it. If someone can tell me a high quality light that should last me 20 yrs or more I would buy it right now without hesitation.

Maybe try to find a flashlight that has a lifetime warranty from a well established company. To me a lifetime warranty from a company that has been around for a few years doesn't mean as much as a lifetime warrant from a company that has been around for 20 yrs.

Good point.

I'm not a fan of their lights in general (mine have failed) but perhaps a Surefire? They are at least as likely as any other company to be around in 20 years and should be there in case it needs repaired somewhere along the way.

*Keep in mind that 5-10 years after production it might be a replacement rather than a repair, so having spairs probably isn't a bad idea.

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
I'm afraid that if LED lights are a bit like computers. In 20 years, they are going to be obsolete. Doesn't matter if you have the latest R5, in just a few years thats going to be a dim low efficiency emitter. The circuitry is a lottery. It may die on you after a few yers or work for ever. The rubber clicky and o-rings will deteriorate in 20 years, and the lens will scratch if you plan on using it.

If you insist of getting a flashlight as something to remind you of your dad, get something with a nice bodywork and option on simple repairs/upgrades.And have it engraved, the body of the flashlight should last you a lifetime.

just my $0.02

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
You might want to get something that is engravable....have something special written on it. I have a few keepsakes (like pocket knives etc) with dates and/or names on them so that I always remember.

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
I'm afraid that if LED lights are a bit like computers. In 20 years, they are going to be obsolete. Doesn't matter if you have the latest R5, in just a few years thats going to be a dim low efficiency emitter. The circuitry is a lottery. It may die on you after a few yers or work for ever. The rubber clicky and o-rings will deteriorate in 20 years, and the lens will scratch if you plan on using it.

If you insist of getting a flashlight as something to remind you of your dad, get something with a nice bodywork and option on simple repairs/upgrades.And have it engraved, the body of the flashlight should last you a lifetime.

just my $0.02

I agree with you that technology is always changing and in 20 yrs what you have probably will not be as good, in some ways. You do have to think that things such as TVs are really high definition and super thin these days but are not built like they used to be. Just think of how many people you know have a tv that is 20 yrs old that still works. Do you think your Plasma or LCD tv will be around in 20 years? Also you can think of washing machines. Today machines have a setting for just about everything and even have lcd screens on some and probably are a lot more efficient than 20 yrs ago. I bought a whirlpool washing machine 5 years ago that I just replaced. My dad still has his Maytag from 20 yrs ago.

Also it is a flashlight. If it still works in 20 yrs, it will be far from obsolete. It will still provide light if it is dark which is the whole point of a flashlight. Maybe in 20 yrs a flashlight will be twice as bright and may not even need batterys BUT it will still serve the exact same purpose.

Last edited:

geoff538

Newly Enlightened
Thanks...... There are some great suggestions that I'm going to consider, and some I'm definitely going to incorporate. I'm going to get something that I can get engraved for sure. I am also going to get something that I can immediately buy maybe (2) spare lenses, (2) spare bulbs, & maybe (2) spare clicky's and boots. So, keep that in mind when recommending. I don't mind buying spare parts. As a matter of fact, I'm like that anyways with everything. I'm sure it's a guy thing, but I keep spares for every light I have, every gun, every piece of electronics, etc.... So, I'll consider this kind of like a car that I will have to "change the oil on, and tune up" every couple of years.....

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gerber LX3,

big enough that if you do misplace it one day you are likely to find it again,

built like a tank

sensible output

runs a long time on 3 x AA cells

nuttin fancy, but id bet it will still be getting you home when many of these other lights are in the trash.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry to hear about your dad.

how about something in titanium?

or a zebralight, its different and unique. dont know it that equals "special" though.

geoff538

Newly Enlightened
Wow..... Thanks for all the responses. And, as stated I have looked at all of them. I like the Dereelight so far. I don't own any by this brand, but it looks like you could pretty much custom build it the way you want and buy extra parts for it to last many years to come. I don't know enough about the different light options, (pills etc...) to make an educated decision. I do want the best of whatever I choose. SO, I would want the best bulb, choice of different batteries, preferably 18650's, and spare drop in bulb possible upgrades when they come out. This is awesome!!! I'm having fun researching the different lights and receiving your opinions of what you think I will like and why. If you have time, keep the opinions coming and links of you need to as I'm not familiar with some of the manufacturer's. I've just Googled the one's I didn't recognize. Again, the Dereelight looks pretty promising so far. I might have to call them for help though on building the right one, with right options and spare parts for down the road.

sassafrass

Newly Enlightened
I have a dereelight and use it daily IMO it is a great light and with the upgrade options it can fufill more than one purpose. Flashlight connection . com carries them and has great customer service.

geoff538

Newly Enlightened
How do you guys feel about Jetbeam lights? I have 2 on order but haven't rec'd either yet. I have an Jet III M & an RRT-0 on the way. I have no idea how these will perform, but the reviews seem to favor the heck out of them. Are there any others that you Jetbeam fans would recommend, & why? Should I order the RRT-2? Wait for the new SST unit??????

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the rrt-0, and its my current edc, it hasnt left my side since i got it a week ago. i love the selector ring, its output level could be better spaced, but having 5 levels is nice. and its very bright, and throwy using 1 cr123.
and i just ordered the jet lll M in warm tint eariler today, i cant wait. i just love the looks of the M. i dont expect it to be a super performer, so i dont think ill be disappointed :twothumbs