1x AAA, Low/Med/High mode - went with Life Flux LF2XT and I'm in LOVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
UPDATE 3: I've received my LF2XT with Cree XP-G R5 emitter and Sapphire window upgrade and all I can say is that I love it. I have never, ever, EVER thought a light could be so perfect. I programmed the UI for dimmest, dimm, medium bright, brightest and a good balanced beacon. This in addition to the "tactical" mode which allows momentary like normal (for the first mode programmed, i.e. dimmest for me) and then acts like a regular clicky if it's pressed. When it's on (after button press), if you just hold it down then, it goes MAX brightness momentary. If you click and hold it will strobe when on already.

It's just amazing. I can't believe it. I am going to try and send my Quark 123 back and get LF3XT instead... also, the LF2XT R5 isn't green like my Quark...

UPDATE 2: The thread has gone from manhunt, to search and now I've found my light. The Lite Flux LF2XT with the R5 upgrade and Sapphire lens.

Along with this light, I'm going to also purchase a Quark 123 to be my standard EDC light (the LF2XT serving as my keychain and smaller alternate EDC).

My next question is, how do you like your LF2XT or Quark 123?

UPDATE 1: Just got the go-ahead from my wife for my birthday present... max I can spend $200, and that'll be iffy. I'm debating about these lights:

Lite Flux - LF2XT, LF3XT, Quark 123 - all in XP-G R5 attire.

I really wanted a AAA keychain light - the LF2XT fits the bill - and a pocket EDC RCR123 runner to use my usual cells. That's where it gets iffy, read below...

ORIGINAL POST BELOW:

I'm looking for something like a Fenix L0D AAA but a low, med, high instead of the first two being switched. I don't really understand that mentality of putting the low in the middle, but oh well.

I would like it to be bright, like Preon bright. Having a 2-cell AAA body tube extension possibility would be great (like the Preon), I just don't like the Preon coming on in one's pocket.

Are there any other good options?

Thanks,
RC

Last edited:

gordonshowers

Newly Enlightened
Re: 1 cell AAA, Low/Med/High mode, bright, and not the Preon... twisty or clicky...

It's bigger than the L0D, although not by much, but how about the Quark MiNi AA?

For comparison:
L0D is 74mm x 13mm
Quark MiNi AA is 78mm x 17mm

If you wanted an AAA torch because of the cell type (rather than the size) then please ignore this post!

But it is nice and bright, especially with a 14500, and it fits on my keys nicely. Never notice it in my pocket at all.

gunga

Flashaholic
Re: 1 cell AAA, Low/Med/High mode, bright, and not the Preon... twisty or clicky...

The Illuminati from Battery Junction.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

gunga,

I congratulate you for complicating my decision, lol.

That is surely tempting. I was set on the Quarks and just keeping with the 123 cells, but the Illuminati comes with the perfect keychain too! That's actually a good selling point for me.

Where are reviews of this light? Is it well received by the CPF Community?

Thanks for the great ideas guys... both of you.

-RC

HKJ

Flashaholic

I have compared some of the newer AAA lights here.
DSC_0417.jpg

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

Wow... that'll do it. Thanks!

-RC

Moonshadow

Enlightened

I just don't like the Preon coming on in one's pocket.
Is this really a problem with the Preon ? What have you got in your pockets besides a light ?

Seriously - I don't like clips or lanyards so generally just carry my lights in a pocket. I have never had a light come on by accident, but then I don't put them in the same pocket as my keys, coins, marbles etc.

If you use the Preon as a twisty I find it hard to see how it could come on accidentally. If you use the clicky and are worried about it getting bumped then you could always untwist the head half a turn before you chuck it in there with the conkers.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

HKJ,

I actually have a question about the Nite Flux. How do you like this light? Is it only momentary?

-RC

P.S. Moonshadow,

I don't like the concept of the twisty on the Preon because I'm being very picky. Since the clicky doesn't work (comes on in pocket, and I have wallet, cell phone on left, and light and keys in the right pocket), then I don't want to fool with the twisty. Sounds odd, but I want a light designed well from the beginning. If he updates his design to a harder switch on the back so it doesn't come on in the pocket (or make a rubber or metal shroud for it - recessed) then I'd be in. But... that's life. I'm picky like that. My SF Z2 with OpticsHQ tailcap comes on in my pocket sometimes (that's why I ordered the side switch to be the momentary). This makes sense. Good UI. The Preon isn't doing it for me right now.

I like the idea of the Quark Mini, IlluminaTi and the Lite Flux. Now it's which one...

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic

HKJ,

I actually have a question about the Nite Flux. How do you like this light? Is it only momentary?

-RC

The LiteFlux is my favorite AAA light, but I usual uses a special Ti version from KuKu. The light has a momentary switch, a press on the switch will turn it on, holding it down will change brightness, a short press will turn it off (This is with default settings, a lot of settings can be programmed in this light, including shifting between two different user interfaces).

DSC_8437.jpg

DSC_8438.jpg

sqchram

Newly Enlightened

The LiteFlux is my favorite AAA light, but I usual uses a special Ti version from KuKu. The light has a momentary switch, a press on the switch will turn it on, holding it down will change brightness, a short press will turn it off (This is with default settings, a lot of settings can be programmed in this light, including shifting between two different user interfaces).

DSC_8437.jpg

DSC_8438.jpg

With the xpg emitter upgrade and 10440 li-ion the thing rocks, plus you can set a 3 minute time out in case it turns on on your pocket. Its got NiMh and Li-Ion low voltage protection.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

NO way! A 3 minute time out... that's pretty sweet. I like the type of programming that can be done.

How do you get a XP-G in there? And what's a 10440? All I use are the RCR123s, but I'm fully open to rechargeables, ;-)

-RC

Details, details, details... tell me all you know about this light. It seems amazing. Does it have the kind of "button" like a Nitecore EX-10?

And can you program it like low/med/hi?

How low is the lowest low?

Man... this is exciting. I had no idea this light existed!!! Why isn't it talked about more... or is it?

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

What is the CR123 version like by the way?

-RC

KuKu427

Enlightened

And what's a 10440? All I use are the RCR123s, but I'm fully open to rechargeables, ;-)
-RC
Details, details, details... tell me all you know about this light. It seems amazing. Does it have the kind of "button" like a Nitecore EX-10?
And can you program it like low/med/hi?
How low is the lowest low?
Man... this is exciting. I had no idea this light existed!!! Why isn't it talked about more... or is it?
10440s are rechargeable li ion batteries, the same size as an AAA. The LiteFlux you are interested in was designed to be able to use them and has built-in over discharge protection so you don't have to worry about draining them too much and killing the cell.

It has a metal button like the EX10 but it's not a piston drive. The button passes it's signal to the pill via an aluminum inner battery tube instead of moving the entire piston.

Yes you can program it l/m/h and the l/m/h levels are also programmable. You can do that in the FUI mode and double click to switch modes. Depending on your preference, you can also have the light come on in last used mode or always come on at the level you set.

Low low is really low. But the light is brighter overall after the XP-G mod. Still pretty low though.

space-time

Newly Enlightened

FliGuyRyan: I'm a noobie here, but I'm looking for the same thing you are. So far that LiteFlux LF2XT seems like the closest thing. I found out about it from HKJ's AAA review too.

Last edited:

sqchram

Newly Enlightened

What is the CR123 version like by the way?

-RC

Haven't held personally, but same UI, so similar, maybe a little more oomph, depends on what the maximum current drive is, and obviously more runtime with an RCR123.

Here is selfbuilt's review of the basic LF2XT
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/235929

The low, is so low that I can stare right at the emitter (ok well not stick it 1/2" from my pupil) but look into the reflector and emitter directly. Kuku's custom version has such a smooth blended beam that its great for viewing a nice floody spot of illumination, rather than a focused hotspot, with a dim, and not very useful spill.

The high, with XP-G and Li-Ion 10440 is bright enough that it is *close enough* to the brightness of the 4Sevens mini123 (which has a much brighter, but focused hot spot). Yet the nice flood is so much more useful with the Liteflux.

Have a look in the cpfmarketplace under Dealers corner for kuku427's post on the titanium/copper custom versions with the XP-G emitters, sapphire window, tritium installed button, and hopefully soon titanium clips.

The CR123 lights are just too fat to put in my pocket (well not if they bounced around loose), but me personally i like a light clipped into my pocket, and a AAA body is just perfect. A CR123 light is too fat in the coin pocket of my jeans, and I can't get past it well to get my wallet and keys out. The liteflux is yes, a bit longer than say the maratac AAA, or ITP AAA, or illuminati AAA, but its the perfect length to hold in your fist and use the clicky button. In fact, if those above three had a button on the end, they would be too short to properly handle and click the button.

Since becoming a flashaholic at the end of last year, and having recieved, and later purchased a few lights to carry on my person, I can tell you that I was really excited for the 4Sevens mini 123 - and it is a great light, but it takes two hands to twist it on (well one, but its a little cumbersome), yes its nice and bright for its tiny size, but its too fat for my pocket. A Maratac AAA is a great tiny light, but the clip slides around and is so short that it easily works its way out of my pocket when clipped inside. The liteflux lf2xt - expecially kuku427's custom version gets into the connoisseur and collector price range, but for something that I keep on me every day, has such a versatile programmable UI, the super low low, the really bright high for a light this size, the auto time off, the low voltage protection, the availability for a tritium vial in such a small light, and just being so badass, its worth it to me!

Last edited:

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

Man sqchram,

$200 is more than I paid for my SF Z2 with the full OpticsHQ upgrade, but suddenly the Lite Flux LF2XT makes a lot more sense as an EDC.

I know it's in the selfbuilt review probably, but what are the runtimes of the 10440? Are they comparable to a Alkaline or Lithium disposable - or is it like the CR123 vs the RCR123?

Man, it's so hard to tell which one to get though. I have about a dozen RCR123 and all my lights take that cell, but the LF2XT seems like such a great light I don't know if I can pass it up. All your points that you've made are solid, and I agree.

Does kuku427 have an ongoing distribution of the light? There is no way I could buy it right now... I just got laid off. But, I birthday is this Friday - the 5th - and I might be able to talk my wife into the normal version.

Can I get the XP-G and tritium button, and titanium gear later?

Thanks,
RC

sqchram

Newly Enlightened

Yep, the light all by itself is $65 from the manuf. site.

http://www.liteflux.com/english/product_detail.php?act=1&index=26

Kuku427 sells the basic (black or natural color body) with one of several more basic options here:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=210703

I'd highly recommend the

LF2XT + XP-G R5 + Sapphire window + international shipping - $80.00 USD
and
Nano Charger clone + Li Ion 2-pack + international shipping - $16.00 USD

The runtime on high is something like 26 mins with the Li-Ion and XP-G emitter - which is fine for me since I don't use it like a worklight, but, for example, my wife and I were looking at a house to buy yesterday night. The backyard (on a 1/4 acre lot) was extremely dark, but I fired up the light on high, and from the porch could easily scour the fenceline and check for spots where the fence was sagging etc.

Basically the same as going from CR123 to RCR123 - with the CR123, you get 2x longer runtime, but from the first minute you turn it on, the brightness output decreases, with the RCR123 the output is higher, and stays that way, until it kills out - a nice flat output curve.

I say get the XP-G that I linked above, and you'll be happy. The Ti body is bling (which I personally love, and don't like the look of the OEM body), and the tritium again is kinda cool, sure it may be indispensable in certain situations, but for me more of a novelty since this is in my pocket, or on the nightstand where I can reach and find it without having to see it.

Kuku427 keeps making different runs of the special bodies, one generation every 3-4 months I'm guessing, but the XP-G you can get ordered any time.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

Does he do any work on the CR123/RCR123 version?

Just curious...

Thanks for the info and the links.

-RC

And that's 26 minutes on high? That is really short, lol...

Ragiska

Flashaholic*

I don't like the concept of the twisty on the Preon because I'm being very picky. Since the clicky doesn't work (comes on in pocket, and I have wallet, cell phone on left, and light and keys in the right pocket), then I don't want to fool with the twisty. Sounds odd, but I want a light designed well from the beginning. If he updates his design to a harder switch on the back so it doesn't come on in the pocket (or make a rubber or metal shroud for it - recessed) then I'd be in. But... that's life. I'm picky like that. My SF Z2 with OpticsHQ tailcap comes on in my pocket sometimes (that's why I ordered the side switch to be the momentary). This makes sense. Good UI. The Preon isn't doing it for me right now.

I like the idea of the Quark Mini, IlluminaTi and the Lite Flux. Now it's which one...

i don't understand. most of the lights you are considering here are twisty, and you even post that in your title ("twisty or clicky...").

you realize the Preon I is a twisty that is operated by the head, not the tailcap, right? that's how most 1xaaa twisty lights works, and the Preon I is no exception.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic

I'm confused, what is the problem with the Preon 1?

It is a twisty, with no click switch. It has the low-med-high modes, as well as being bright... It also has a keyring attachment if you need that.

In any case, another alternative is the Leatherman Serac S2. They are discontinued but still excellent, so you should pick one up if you are interested. It has a click switch that is relatively hard to accidentally activate.