phones: looking for user feedback on 'samsung corby' and 'LG POP'

ozner1991

Enlightened
recently my cellphone broke and i was looking for a new one. the one i picked had a storage issue and could no longer be shipped :scowl:
so now im looking at 2 other phones.

the samsung corby 's3650' the full touch screen kind not the keyboard kind and the LG 'POP' which alsow has a touch screen.

im mainly looking for user feedback on either phone to hear some of the users comments, likes or dislikes about it.

ozner1991

Enlightened
oke i made my decision, pop it is. will post my liking of it in a while here for other people that might go looking for user info on it

ozner1991

Enlightened
so after a week of carrying the LG GD510 or 'pop'

first off let me say that this phone relies mostly on its touch screen.
the phones exterior has 4 main buttons. a multitasking button that changes color on the front of the phone, a lock unlock on off button on the top right side, photo camera button lower right and a 2 piece audio button on the left side of the phone.

the 'main' button on the phone either cancels actions or answers calls. if you want to deny a call you from what i read can turn the phone over and it will go silent. i did not try this. i did the following. you unlock the screen and scroll the tab over the screen. then it shows accept or reject options on the screen.

to access any of the menus in the phone you press the unlock button and this activates the screen. you then have to either press it again or scroll a tab across the screen. the main display can be customized with icons and functions to ones preferences.

Ringtones and alarms can be picked, however the audio tends to cut off after 5 seconds if you chose a song you prefer as ring or alarm tone.

the wide touch screen can be tilted to change the view on texting, menus or photos. this feature seems to be hit and miss because a lot of the times it doesnt register that the phone is tilted. when the phone is tiled during a text message it turns from a normal '2abc, 3def' keys to a touch screen QWERTY keyboard that i had no problems using with. hardly any typos or anything with the smaller keys. this keyboard is limited to texting and notes, it does not appear when one is looking for a contact in the contact list. the screen turns dark after a while when not used. this can be quite annoying because the phone doesnt 'lock' but it doesnt let you activate the screen again. this can be quite confusing at times. the lock feature can be changed but doesnt seem to affect this screen darkening.

the audio, i myself am a rock, punk and metal fan. i find the phones audio to be distorting the sound easily. the phone has no speakers or anything just the part where you hold your ear when you accept a call.
hands free function is working but it same distorted audio.

the camera has no zoom function but does have a series photo option that lets it take several pictures in a short amount of time. the video option of the camera does have a digital zoom but this is slow to access and makes the video quality very pixe-lated.

i tried to check for updates on the phone. i had to download a program. which downloaded another program. which installed a program. which installed another program and then asked for a CD. i didnt recieve a CD with my phone. fortunately the program offers a download the right data from LG's site. i clicked on the 'download' link and its a 404. yes a dead link. wont matter anyway. keep on reading.

now after more then a week my screen cracked. im sending the phone back for warranty. no hard use, no drops, nothing, i didnt work this week because im sick so i avoided all forms of hard work and yet the screen has a crack in it.
im now still looking for a new phone. i hope that my take on this phone might be helpful for others that are looking for information.

supes

Enlightened
Never used either phones you mentioned.

Cool review. Sorry to hear about the cracked screen. From my limited usage of LG phones, their construction doesn't seem to be as good as Nokia or Samsung.

I wonder what caused the crack? It has a resistive screen, so I would have thought it would have been a little sturdier than those glass ones.

What about the Nokia 5530? looks like LG brought out the KM555E. Do you like S class?

Check out gsmarena.com and phonearena.com for comparisons, new phones, and reviews. I like their phone finder tool.

ozner1991

Enlightened
i have absolutely no clue to what cracked it, its not the top layer but the lcd underneath that cracked. i had a small star with an air bubble which when pressed would move. so its not the top layer it was the lcd layer beneath which cracked.

i did already find a new phone, also an LG i already posted my 'review' about it. its the LG gb115. a long way from what this phone is but it will have to do for the moment