When will JETbeam or Fenix or Olight start making handgun lights?

NWdude83

Newly Enlightened
Right now the only good handgun lights are from American companies, and the brightest one is only 150 lumens. They all have old school reflectors and usually cost $120 or more... Why hasnt one of the better Chinese flashlight manufactures stepped up and made a 200+ lumen $75-$100 LED handgun light with a good reflector yet?!

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone make an accessory rail that has an adapter that would accept an array of lights already available? I'd like to use one of my lights on my 9mm XDM 19+1.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
In many countries it is illegal to own a handgun. So there is no home market for handgun lights.

Fenix (as claimed by FenixTactical***) came up with a handgun mount for Fenix lights. The light was mounted to the side of the barrel not underneath it. NWdude83 & Beacon of Light why don't you attach a light to the side of your handgun (rubber bands or duct tape should do for this experiment), wave the gun around and see how a side mounted light affects handgun handling. An example of how people who do not own handguns, have no idea of how to design a light for it.

There is also the need to design and make holsters for all models of handguns with the light mounted. And stock the right number of holsters for each gun model.

*** I have no idea if Fenix or FenixTactical designed the mount. It never showed up anywhere else. And it was pulled from FenixTactical's website soon after.

i believe Fenix now has a tapeswitch which allow you to use 3rd party mounts.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDNinja, how would you attach it to the side of the gun? The rails are underneath, but you are saying the side on the gun, which would in effect be the top slide. Mounting a light to the part of the gun that moves with recoil sounds like a horrible idea and then with the attachment point being rubber bands doesn't sound like a very secure method either.

I'm just surprised with guns that have accessory rails, there isn't a company or companies vying to sell this adapter plate that will mount on any handguns accessory rail and still accept any 123 or AA type light. The company would be like Twofish that makes the Cyclops Lockblocks for bikes where their adapter allows any
AA type light to be mounted to a bike. This same basic idea only for handguns seems like a no brainer to me. I was just at the gun show last weekend and if the huge turn out is any indication of how many gun owners there are out there, I'd think a company that made these adapters would be hugely successful.

Last edited:

dirtech

Enlightened
Seems like a pretty limited market to only handgun owners and many handgun owners don't have a light for their gun.

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Does anyone make an accessory rail that has an adapter that would accept an array of lights already available? I'd like to use one of my lights on my 9mm XDM 19+1.

I dont know of any good mounts for attaching small lights to pistols, although Im sure there are some very cheap ones out there. BTW.....Xdm's are awesome aren't they. I have the Xdm .40 and love it.

I would recommend buying a proven light specifically for pistols, I have seen them as low as 75 US dollars and would probably serve you better.

This on was on sale awhile back for 79 bucks.
http://www.qmuniforms.com/Product/streamlight-tlr-3-led-compact-rail-light/S69+6802/100215

100 buck is a common price and you could find several in that price range.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like a pretty limited market to only handgun owners and many handgun owners don't have a light for their gun.

Well it would be a niche market for sure, but still I'm surprised with the latest surge in people buying guns, the real lack of accessories. I did a search and there is a guy on ebay selling an adapter for most picatinny/Weaver type accessory rails that accepts a light 1" in diameter or less. I guess it's not a quick release system (which would be ideal) since there are 3 hex bolts on each side that need to be tightened. At least there are people out there doing this, but you'd think the gun manufacturers or some accessory company or even a guy like this on ebay to take it to the next step and become the Microsoft or Intel of the gun accessory manufacturers.

%21BhpisT%21%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqYOKj%21Esnp9V4IvBLKF+Zot%21g%7E%7E_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weaver-Picatinn...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0ec80960

For $9.00 it seems like a worthwhile experiment to see how well it would work. I'm sure a Nitecore D10 would be perfect for it.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XDM is awesome for sure. I just like the option of being able to use whatever lights I prefer for my gun than a dedicated light. A fenix LD10, Quark AA Mini, Nitecore EZAA or Nitecore D10 is all the brightness I would need methinks.

I dont know of any good mounts for attaching small lights to pistols, although Im sure there are some very cheap ones out there. BTW.....Xdm's are awesome aren't they. I have the Xdm .40 and love it.

I would recommend buying a proven light specifically for pistols, I have seen them as low as 75 US dollars and would probably serve you better.

This on was on sale awhile back for 79 bucks.
http://www.qmuniforms.com/Product/streamlight-tlr-3-led-compact-rail-light/S69+6802/100215

100 buck is a common price and you could find several in that price range.

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Those are what I was talking about.

There are hundred of those style of mounts out there, and they work well on a rifle. I have even used them for mounting lights smaller than 1" in them. I mounted a small 1AA light to a springer Air Rifle useing o-rings as spacers. It works and adds a sort of shock absorber to the light.

These are not designed for most pistols. The problem is the switching and length of the light, How are you going to turn the light on?

There is One light mount that I know of that swivels out of the way, but is expensive, and you have to buy the light too. May be the concept your looking for though.

http://www.code3tactical.com/safarilandrlsrapidlightsystemtacticalweaponlight.aspx

Looks like a special mount with a led lenser of some sort

****correction*****
The Mount only is available in the same link for 36 dollars, 1" lights though..........Scroll to bottom of link

Last edited:

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
I have used the rubber parts from a 3/4" Compression Pvc Coupler for mounting smaller lights in 1" mounts. They are nice for the application but may require some fitting, depending on the actual light diameter. Works better than several o-rings.

Should cost around 5 dollars at any local hardware store, and you get two rubbers.

compression-coupling-fitting.jpg

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mount for $36 is ok. I may try the $9.00 one first as that contraption looks bulky compared to the $9.00 one. Also I only need the mount as I don't see how their $68 light can compare to the lights I already own with multi modes.

Also how are you mounting that rubber sleeve to the accessory rail or are you just tieing it to the slide?

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Also how are you mounting that rubber sleeve to the accessory rail or are you just tieing it to the slide?

No, the light sold with the mount is undesirable.

The rubber sleeve is for mounting smaller diameter lights in a mount designed for 1" lights. Just slide it on the smaller light, then mount it in the 1" light mount.

The mount (Both the one you were looking at, and the one from Safariland) are designed to slide and lock down on a Picatinny Rail that is already on most newer polymer (and some metal) frame handguns. Your Xdm has one.

I have one of the mounts you showed in your picture, and use it on a rifle. The problem for pistol use if you have to tighten the light in the mount with an allen screw. Then tighten the mount to the firearm with two more allen screws. It will work, but not quickly. A mount that is quickly removable will be handier for reholstering the pistol.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get the same results from a scope mount purchased at walmart

What is the inside diameter of a scope mount and is it the same size dimension wise as the $9.00 I posted? Also is it quick release or mounted with hex screws? Lastly what is the price of their scope mounts?

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
What is the inside diameter of a scope mount and is it the same size dimension wise as the $9.00 I posted? Also is it quick release or mounted with hex screws? Lastly what is the price of their scope mounts?

Scope mounts typically come in two sizes: 1" and 30mm

Walmart most likely only has 1" ones, the 30mm rings are way too large. These are made to fit a 1" scope tube, but depending on the brand will vary a small margin, larger or smaller.

Weaver Quad Lock rings have two bands that clamp the scope with a small thumb nut to tighten the ring to the rail. Probably in the 10 dollar ball park for a pair of them. These would be quick detach, and youd have enough for two lights. They also come in a few different heights, low-medium-high, depending on how much drop you want.

QuadLockDetachableRings.jpg

Here is an example on my night critter getter, I used a modded River Rock 1AA in a standard 1" scope ring. I used regular o-rings around the head of the light for a spacer to fill the extra space (the light head measures 7/8" and the ring wouldn't close that far, o-rings were rolled in the groove for the clip, then the ring tightened down) this works well and provides some shock absorbing.

Phone photos, sorry
020200_191700.jpg

You can see the o-ring in the picture above, there's about 6 all together between the top ring clamp and the head of the light. Also note this is a tip-off mount (not the one you want, this ones is made for a .22 rifle) you'll be looking for a weaver (or Picatinny) base mount

020200_191900.jpg

From the Side. This little light allows me to see a possom through the scope over 100 yds away.

Last edited:

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Just to show how it could work for your application.

020200_193800.jpg

I pulled this off of a shot gun and mounted it right on the Xdm with out adjusting anything. Now that's a pistol light!!! Old metal Brinkman Legend with an inner tube over it for rubber armor, Rock on!! Standard Old style Weaver Offset 1" scope mount.

020200_193801.jpg

Close up of the rail and how the mount locks on. Mind the dirt...... : } Hasn't been off that shotgun in 7-8 years

Something like this can be on and off the gun in just a few seconds. Very quick and handy for what it is.

Hope this Helps

Last edited:

Partywaggin

Newly Enlightened
The problem with a standard light directly in front of the trigger guard is the UI. How, exactly are you going to depress the tail button on many lights?

The Streamlight and SF units have a small lever on the side so that you can use your thumb or non-dominant hand index finger.

SIG makes an adapter for use on their non-railed pistols.

Personally, I prefer the FBI grip so that if I draw fire, it will be to the light and hand and not my mid-section and vital organs.

(If this violates any part of the self-defense discussion policy, I apologize ahead of time. It seems to be an important item of consideration when mounting lights to firearms. Also, one must seriously consider the 4 primary rules of firearm safety when using illumination tools on firearms.)

Wes

Last edited:

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
The problem with a standard light directly in front of the trigger guard is the UI. How, exactly are you going to depress the tail button on many lights?

Personally, I prefer the FBI grip so that if I draw fire, it will be to the light and hand and not my mid-section and vital organs.

Planning to injure yourself??? Practice more, or buy a bigger dog. FBI grip has nothing to do with it! Drawing with your finger OFF the trigger would make accidents like this impossible.:ohgeez:

Yes, there are better options, they were asking about using the lights they have already.

VLTOR makes some nice mounts but you really need a single stage light for a weapon light. http://www.vltor.com/vltor-mountables.htm The SM-E will fit a lot of lights.

Those do look nice. On a light designated for a certain firearm they look to be an excellent choice. I've seen many designs like them.

Its seems they suffer from the same thing that most other tatical companies' products do, Price. The lego-ability of firearms is making people lots of money these days.

Partywaggin

Newly Enlightened
Planning to injure yourself??? Practice more, or buy a bigger dog. FBI grip has nothing to do with it! Drawing with your finger OFF the trigger would make accidents like this impossible.:ohgeez:

Yes, there are better options, they were asking about using the lights they have already.

My bad. I should have been clearer. :banghead:

When I said "draw fire" I meant actually having the bad guys shooting at you. :xyxgun: Not draw from a holster and fire at the same time. :duh2:

As I stated, using the FBI grip keeping the center of the light off to the side and away from your center mass makes an awful lot more sense than trying rig up some random light to the front of a pistol that's not intended to go there that has an incredibly awkward to use UI in that position.

If you can't shoot a pistol well with one hand then there is the cigar hold or a dedicated light....

Thanks,
Wes