Any tactical Surefire C/P tailcap w/ low mode?

TriChrome

Enlightened
I don't think this exists so I thought I'd ask. I'm looking for a tactical tailcap for my Surefire C2, that also has a lower mode for general use. By tactical I mean that it turns on in the highest mode every single time, no matter what; yet somehow has a mode you can enter for a lower output mode when you need it.

I currently have the P60/P61/P90/P91 bulbs and of course they only have a single high output mode. I also have a Nailbender SST-50 drop-in with 3-mode driver (with memory) and the problem is I can't quickly flash the high mode multiple times because it will go into the lower output modes. Even if I got the single mode driver for it, I wouldn't have a lower mode like I want.

I believe I read that some stock Surefire models have it so you lightly press for low mode, then press all the way for high mode. That would work, but I'm sure it's part of the programming and not the tailcap itself, so I'm open to any other options.

TriChrome

Enlightened
Thanks for the links Justin, but the one with the side button won't work when my light is mounted on my weapon.

I'll look into the ElZetta; they don't list how many amps it can handle so I'll write them to find out (need at least 3.1 amps, maybe more to be safe).

Any other options?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's very useful to state all of your requirements, so that folks don't chase their tails suggesting products that don't fit your application. You ought to edit your first post to mention a weaponlight application as well as 3.1A switch capability. What does "general use" mean when it comes to a weaponlight? My idea of general use is using it as a weaponlight, so I want it bright. Anything else is special use. Do you want to use your weaponlight to read a map? Are you looking for low lumen nav capability?

IMO, if you are using your weaponlight for tactical applications, then switching it into a mode other than high suggests a non-immediate threat situation or the proverbial lull in the action. In that case, just alter your forward grip a bit so that you can press the side button with your index finger to get low mode. Then get back into your firing grip.

You'd have to contact OpticsHQ to find out if their tailcap can take 3.1A.

Here is a crude solution. Put an opaque tipoff cover over the bezel. Poke a small hole in the cover to allow just the desired amount of light to come out. When you want your low mode, use the cover. Otherwise, tip off the cover.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
TriChrome,

You are using incandescent lamps in your C2, correct? You will need a PWM multimode tailcap to work with incans, and it probably needs to be designed for incans. AW makes a great 3 stage tailcap insert with memory, so it will always come on in high if that is the level you leave it at when you turn it off.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possible to diy a 'low' mode in a tailcap clicky.
Some dx lights come with a 'two stage' tailcap. I got one from a P7 AK Aurora. It wasn't functional when I got the light (used), but all you're looking for is to take the contact board out.
-a 3way switch (off, output prong 1, prong 2)
-add this to a 2 route tailcap board
-appropriate resistor soldered onto the board

Sorry at work so no pictures, totally doable to put these guts into Solarforce L2 tailcap.

Casper507

Newly Enlightened
Lightsaver Miser might work for you. I believe (don't know for sure as I don't have one) it's the same switching as the IQ switch for the minimag AA so the strobes would be pretty useless but it would be a 100-50-25 percent the first three clicks then two speeds of slow strobe that they call "fast" and slow.

You may have to get a led single mode LED drop in to work with this switch. :thinking:
clickrelease repeatedly went 100-50-25 with minimag led.
Hold the click for a moment at the bottom and the whole thing goes off when released. Buy the cheap minimag version and if it works for you go with the one for surefire replacement. I found I could hard press to bottom on mode selected then release a moment later and it would go out and start at the 100 percent. Click and hold at the bottom of the press allows it to act as a dead switch when released and went back to 100 percent. Again this is with the IQ AA switch but the clip I saw looked like they had the same UI.

TriChrome

Enlightened
I'll look into those tailcaps Leukos.

I'm actually using two setups; one is LED (2.5 amps) an the other Incan (3.1 amps). I don't know if one solution will work for both, or if I need separate tailcaps for each. Regardless I'm looking for each light to function similar to each other.

The problem started with my SST-50 drop-in with 3-mode driver with memory. I can program it to start up in high, but I can't for instance flash it for a second on high, then flash it again immediately afterwards or the driver thinks I want to go into a lower mode. That makes me want to get a 1-mode driver for it so it's always in high, then get a tailcap that will let me drop it into a lower general purpose mode (I.e. Not tactically bright, to use for other activities like camping or reading or whatnot). The kicker is the tailcap needs to have another way to get into that lower mode that won't interfere with the lights main purpose of being on high when I want it to; maybe something like holding the button down for 5 seconds let's you enter the lower mode.

I'm trying to keep it in the same exact form factor as my Surefire C2, even down to the HAIII color if possible. needs to be a forward clicky as well.

***just saw the two other posts. Maybe what I was writing as you posted will help with what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions so far***

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
A McC2S will work with a single mode version of the 7135-based driver in your nailbender SST-50 drop-in. The trick is finding one.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Justin covered the option I thought of and have, the McC2s. The other tailcap he mentioned earlier sounds like the best option. The Surefire LX2 offers the functionality you seek - press a little to low, full press to high. It's actually tailcap driven but its not a tailcap you can put on a classic series light.

You used the phrase "when my light is mounted on my weapon." Are you trying to use the same light both mounted and dismounted? If so an option is to simply look at different lights for both. What tasks do you see doing with a weapon light where you want a lower mode but still are prepared to point your weapon at the target you need illuminated?

post tenebras

Enlightened
Doesn't look compatible according to what I see here. Have you actually tested the above-mentioned combination to verify compatibility?

No, I don't have a Surefire C/P body to check. I've verified the compatibility of P tailcaps on the Elzetta body, but not vice-versa. I perhaps wrongfully assumed that compatibility one way implies compatibility the other way.

:oops: