KeyChain LED Suggestions

Dogmeat

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks. My daughter wants a small LED light to hook on her keychain. She has several night classes and wisely wants a light at hand for when she goes to her car.

I know anything too big won't get carried. I also know that she won't use rechargable batteries, so I need something that works OK with a standard, off the shelf, alkaline battery. I think a AAA or AA would be best (easy to replace).

I'm not even sure she needs variable output.

What would you all suggest? Thanks!

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Check out 4sevens.com. The Fenix L series has a few options such as the Fenix Digital LD01 R2 (1xAAA) with 3 light outputs.
There's the Fenix L1T V2.0 Q2 (1xAA) and others also below $50.
I was also going to recommend NiteCore (also available at 4Sevens) but it looks like they've sold out of their EZ series lights.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think an itp will be overkill, plus the higher modes will drain alkalines really fast.

I think a simple yet tried and true fenix E01 will be perfect for your daugter.

I think another option is a peak eiger. I don't own one but I've heard very good things and they let you choose the brightness. I think this would be a good option if you are worried about the Fenix E01 being too dim, although personally I think it will be more than sufficient.

MWClint

Enlightened
If you are looking to spend around $40, HA Peak Eiger, Lug body on power Level4 /medium optic /cool rebel makes for a great all purpose Keychain light using an alkaline battery.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do their different body types refer to, what is lug?
The OP might also like a wide beam which is floodier right?

MWClint

Enlightened
What do their different body types refer to, what is lug?
The OP might also like a wide beam which is floodier right?

the Lug body is similar in style to the Arc AAA (non removable keychain attachment point). it's the shortest AAA body for keychain use.

"Keychain" style has a removable plug, so you can unscrew the
light from your keychain...this makes the light slightly longer than the Lug
style..

picking Lug vs keychain style is just personal preference, both work fine
on a keychain.

"Pocket" style has no attachment point for keychain use. you'd have to
keep it in your pocket.. they do offer solitaire/fenix e01 style clips as well.

The medium optic is a good balance between a standard reflector(narrow) and their wide optic. i find medium to work better outdoors than the wide
optic at lower power levels.

strinq

Enlightened
The Fenix LD01, Preon 1, Quark Mini AA and itp A3 would be good if she really needs a lot of light from a keychain light.

If not, the Fenix E01 would be good, cheap, easy and reliable.

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
if she just wants a light to see by, I'd consider the Photon Freedom for her, maybe in addition to a larger llight if you think she needs something brighter. it's a tiny coin cell light, and the batteries, while not AA or AAA, last for ages. There's a the "fashion red" body (my wife has one) at photonlight.com for $15.95, or basic black for $8.95 at battery junction.

Simple to use and really bright for its size. Once a year or so you can replace the batteries for her :)

jk037

Newly Enlightened
Can't speak for any of the other options mentioned here but I would highly recommend the upgraded 3-mode version of the iTP A3 Eos, based in it being tiny and easy to use.

It's programmed to initially switch on in "medium" mode, which is plenty bright enough for lighting the way to her car without killing its battery (using an alkaline cell expect over 3 hours of useful output in "medium" based on the runtime graphs about half way down this page: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/240639). The medium mode on this light is (in my humble opinion) most useful for day-to-day use but it's good to have the "high" and "low" modes available should they be needed.

The A3 Eos also comes in "female friendly" colours, e.g. red/purple/gold etc! :D

Warp

Enlightened
I think an itp will be overkill, plus the higher modes will drain alkalines really fast.

I strongly disagree.

An E01 isn't going to light up crap in a parking lot after class. We are talking about his daughter, a college student from the sounds of it, going to her car after class. My E01 would be next to useless in that situation, unless it was to find something small I dropped in the grass on the way to my car and I knew, within feet, where it was.

Something with more output is, IMO, essential.

The iTP EOS A3 sounds like a great option, IMO. You can even get it in purple. No pink, though.

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all. I knew this group could be counted on.

That Farka E09 looks right up her alley. Where can one be bought? I just did a web search and didn't really find anything.

Warp

Enlightened
I almost forgot, I would include 2-4 Energizer L92 lithium batteries with the light, whatever you decide on. Sure, alkalines can be used....but the performance of lithium is significantly better and the lithiums won't leak.

Dogmeat

Newly Enlightened
I like the price on the EO1, but if what Amazon says in correct, it only throws 10 lumens. I know we're talking about a cheap, single AAA light here, but I'd like a little more output than that.

If I can't find a Farka EO9, I'll probably buy an LDO1.

Why do you guys always suggest exotic flashlight I become fascinated with, then can never find?

And yes, it is for a college student going to her car after class. She does carry one other light...that's the red laser on her Taser.

I strongly disagree.

An E01 isn't going to light up crap in a parking lot after class. We are talking about his daughter, a college student from the sounds of it, going to her car after class. My E01 would be next to useless in that situation, unless it was to find something small I dropped in the grass on the way to my car and I knew, within feet, where it was.

The iTP EOS A3 sounds like a great option, IMO. You can even get it in purple. No pink, though.

Warp

Enlightened
What you saw on Amazon is correct. The E01 is only rated at 10 lumens. And trust me, that's ALL there is.

Taser C2?

tylernt

Enlightened
Agreed.

I strongly disagree.

And I disagree. :) 10 lumens is plenty for when it's dark out. It won't light up the world if there's lots of ambient light such as a parking lot, but if there's ambient light you don't need much of a flashlight to see anyway. The spill might disappear but the hotspot will still illuminate the pavement and your door handle etc.

Warp

Enlightened
Hi folks. My daughter wants a small LED light to hook on her keychain. She has several night classes and wisely wants a light at hand for when she goes to her car.

I know anything too big won't get carried. I also know that she won't use rechargable batteries, so I need something that works OK with a standard, off the shelf, alkaline battery. I think a AAA or AA would be best (easy to replace).

I'm not even sure she needs variable output.

What would you all suggest? Thanks!

And I disagree. :) 10 lumens is plenty for when it's dark out. It won't light up the world if there's lots of ambient light such as a parking lot, but if there's ambient light you don't need much of a flashlight to see anyway. The spill might disappear but the hotspot will still illuminate the pavement and your door handle etc.

Exactly my point.

I guess I picture the light as be useful for more than seeing the car's door handle. From first hand experience as a college student with an E01 I wouldn't even consider recommending it. It just isn't bright at all when outdoors.

Last edited:
Check out the MaraTac AAA, producing about 80 lumens off of a AAA lithium primary cell, and available for about $20 (in HA aluminum), or $28 (in stainless) (+ shipping) from CountyComm.com). Uses a Cree 7090-XP-E Q5 emitter. Three output levels. My two have emitters in the neutral white range.

egale1

Newly Enlightened
The ITPs are great lights. I have the ITP A3 Eos Upgraded and the A1 EOS. The A1 uses a CR123A and has 3 modes L-M-H. The A3 Upgrade has 3 modes also M-L-H and uses a AAA instead. It also comes in colors.

They are both nicely made, bright and reasonable in cost.