Spotlighting on coral reefs

o2flyfish

Newly Enlightened
Greetings,

I spend a lot of time in the tropics flyfishing and would like to purchas a good quality flashlight for exploring tropical reefs at night. Its not for the faint hearted but do get to see some amazing things. The local traditional way is basically a flame on a stick, looking for something a bit stronger and more reliable :) Most important it needs to be corrosion resistant/ durable. The light will need to be able to penetrate water, not to sure if LED is the best option for this. Heading away in June so have a bit of time.

Found this list so here it goes:

1) Price - No restriction, looking for a good quality light that is going to last a few years.

2.) Format: Not to sure but would like a LED

3) Length: 4-9 inches. Something that fits comfortable in hand and can be carried in a backpack.

4) Width: I don't care.

5)What kind of batteries do you want to use: Rechargeable

6)How much light do you want: Will have a head lamp on for wading around the coral and the flashlight in hand spotlighting, so something strong.

7) Throw vs Flood: Throw is important but would like the light to have a Flood setting.

8)Runtime: Will be away from a power supply for a few weeks so a long runtime is needed.

9) Durability: Critical, will be used around saltwater, high chance of getting saturated in saltwater/ rain. Waterproof would be good, water resistant at least.

8) Switch Type: Twist or click switch.

9) Switch Location: I don't care.

10) Operational Modes: I want multiple light levels. (some lights have up to 3-16 light levels or functions.)

11) Led Tints: What's best for penetrating into water. Prefer neutral and warm tints but not fussed

12) I want a metal-bodied light.

13) How are you going to carry it? In the bottom of a backpack

Hope thats all and look forward to hearing from the light gurus.

carrot

Flashaholic
Quark 123 Turbo with the optional 18650 body would be a good choice. It is quite water resistant (meets IPX-8 standards) and meets all your criteria. It is extremely bright and an excellent thrower. It runs for 1.8 hours on its highest setting (230 lumens) with 2x123 and the optional 18650 body will let it use the best rechargeable lithium-ion batteries on the market.

o2flyfish

Newly Enlightened
Cool, will check out the Quark 123 Turbo.

How will it penetrate water or do I need to find something brighter?

bkumanski

Enlightened