• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler: Low-tech, low-power, ultra-low lumen P60 Dropin.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been messing about with a bunch of 5mm LED's I've got sitting around...

I've fitted it into a P60 module with an OP reflector, sanded the surface of the LED and added a resistor to allow it to run on an 18650.

The result, a bulletproof, ultra low power, ultra low lumen, all flood glow light that'll run for 155hours on a 2200mAh 18650.

I'm going to build a few more to perfect the design, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me use up the remaining 75 LED's :grin2:

Is anyone interested? How much would you pay? Is there any room left in this world for low-tech solutions?

OceanView

Enlightened
Interesting project. What colors do you have available? I just ask since the typical cool white 5mm LEDs irritate my eyes.

Thanks!

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting project. What colors do you have available? I just ask since the typical cool white 5mm LEDs irritate my eyes.

Thanks!

My current stash are all cool whites... but I was thinking that if there's enough demand, I'll happily build them in any colour.

If you specify what battery(ies) you intend to use, I'll build them to suit. It can also be set up as a battery "vampire" if you want a use for your dead CR123's. You can use a short P60 host like the Solarforce L2m to run with a single CR123.

Last edited:

OceanView

Enlightened
My current stash are all cool whites... but I was thinking that if there's enough demand, I'll happily build them in any colour.
LOL, I can imagine you ending up with several hundred MORE extra emitters in various colors if you go down this path! :ohgeez:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, if there's enough interest, I won't mind :)

I'll be building my 2nd prototype on the weekend, and I'll post pics of it then.

As it stands, the emitter output will be no more than 2 lumens, but since the LED will be frosted, it will be exceptionally low lux.

At this level (half that of my 1st prototype) the runtime should be well clear of 200 Hours from an 18650.

scout24

Flashaholic
Would it be possible to build one of these on an Aleph compatible LE can if I provide the bare can? i think this would be awesome in a Mule...:thumbsup: running on my "dead" cr123's.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be possible to build one of these on an Aleph compatible LE can if I provide the bare can? i think this would be awesome in a Mule...:thumbsup: running on my "dead" cr123's.

I have absolutely no idea what that even looks like, so the answer is "maybe":p

Post some pics of the can and I might be able to tell. Worst case scenario is I post it back to you with nothing done to it :grin2: