Newest Novatacs vs. Previous Generation

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Greetings:

I recently purchased a Novatac Storm. This is my first Novatac and I am *mostly* happy with it but it certainly doesn't live up to my (possibly inflated) expectations. The light looks more rugged than it is. The battery tube is quite wide and has a weird spring in it that the battery bounces against if it is dropped from even a short distance. Occasionally it will turn on if dropped and every once in a while (usually right after battery changes) it requires a reset to behave properly. For the record, I did tighten down the head and tail retaining rings to assure reliable contact. I recently put a fresh primary in it and will probably keep it in my office desk for "around the office" illumination. I doubt I will count on it for any "mission critical" activities. By contrast, the recently acquired Jetbeam RRT-0 is built like a tank and inspires *great* confidence for a new flashlight.

So... Given that Novatac has a reputation for reliable heavy duty flashlights, I am looking for input from someone who owns both a new Storm or Witchita and also one of the previous generations of Novatacs. I know the new ones have a lower price point due to being built overseas but I was hoping the quality would be equivalent to the US made ones. Am I mistaken here? If so, just how much better built are the US ones? The only things I know are that the new ones appear to have an aluminum (vs. steel) bezel and that they aren't hard anodized anymore. Any other differences?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
All novatacs, and their HDS Systems predecessors had a spring in the battery compartment. That spring does not carry the current to the driver, but it alows the switch to tell the driver to turn on/off/switch modes. It also helps protect the battery.
the best analogy I can think of is a relay switch. The switch is completely seperate, and just tells the relay to connect or break a switch, it doesn't carry the current.

The light turning on momentarily after switching in a new battery is normal. it is the driver sensing a battery change, an resetting itself. In an older HDS Systems EDC series light, the light would automatically revert to it's standard programming, turning on frist in Primary, and (if using a programmable model) allowing a reprogramming of mode sequences, and outputs.

Bear in mind that these models are built more cheaply than the "real" Novatacs. They are made in China, for one. They are also only anodized with Anno II, not Hard Anodizing III, so the finish will be prettier, but not as durable. There are also several threads where others are expressing their concerns over problems with switches.

Overall, I would say that it's cool that Novatac is trying to expand it's business, but they do need to maintain good QC, otherwise this expansion could really hurt them.
YMMV + "Caveat emptor"

spc

Enlightened
Some things I had to do when I first got my storm:

Tighten the retaining rings, they were loose.

The pos contact spring: It had a sharp edge on the end of it that would catch the battery when you unscrewed it. This would "unwind" and bend the spring causing it to short and act funny when you put the cell back in. Once I bent it in a little so the sharp edge wasn't sticking out it worked perfectly. It wouldn't catch on the battery and bend any more.

After fixing these issues, the light is working as it should, flawlessly and reliable.

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the new ones have a lower price point due to being built overseas but I was hoping the quality would be equivalent to the US made ones. Am I mistaken here?
They set up new production facilities and change the specs of the light in efforts to cut costs, and you expect them to maintain quality too? :thinking:

The only things I know are that the new ones appear to have an aluminum (vs. steel) bezel and that they aren't hard anodized anymore. Any other differences?
The switch to Type II anodizing occurred while production was still in the US.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
They set up new production facilities and change the specs of the light in efforts to cut costs, and you expect them to maintain quality too? :thinking:

Last I checked, overseas labor rates (particularly China where these lights are being made) are a tad lower than US labor rates. I believe they could maintain the same quality and lower the cost by merely moving production overseas. My reference to Jetbeam in the OP was an example of a Chinese manufactured light in the same price range that is much higher quality.

I called Novatac on this (as did another poster on a different thread) and they claimed that all US-made Novatac lights were Type III HA. They indicated that the Type II anodizing was part of the attempt to lower the cost as well as related to some limitations in the manufacturing capabilities of their chosen overseas partner.

Despite what Novatac claims, I am inclined to give your assertion some weight as a casual observation of recent US-made Novatacs suggests that they sure *look* more like Type II anodizing.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last I checked, overseas labor rates (particularly China where these lights are being made) are a tad lower than US labor rates. I believe they could maintain the same quality and lower the cost by merely moving production overseas. My reference to Jetbeam in the OP was an example of a Chinese manufactured light in the same price range that is much higher quality.
I guess regardless of location of the new production facilities, just the fact that they've moved facilities with an emphasis on cutting costs makes me question the quality of the new models. Add to that the list of spec changes that we know about (again, with an emphasis on cutting costs), and presumably an additional list of changes we don't know about, I'm less than optimistic about these new models.

I called Novatac on this (as did another poster on a different thread) and they claimed that all US-made Novatac lights were Type III HA. They indicated that the Type II anodizing was part of the attempt to lower the cost as well as related to some limitations in the manufacturing capabilities of their chosen overseas partner.

Despite what Novatac claims, I am inclined to give your assertion some weight as a casual observation of recent US-made Novatacs suggests that they sure *look* more like Type II anodizing.
I've heard the claims on both sides as well, but I have one of the later black models, and it doesn't look like Type III to me - too glossy, a too deep and even color, etc. I like the light just fine, and I honestly don't care if it's Type II or III, but I'm inclined to agree with those that claim it's the latter. Between the falling out with Henry, the refusal to honor HDS EDC warranties, the dumping of HDS parts stock, and now the downmarket move, I'm not inclined to give NovaTac's word the benefit of the doubt.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new 2xAA classic feels like a very nice light. I think if you got one that worked properly it would be a nice addition to anyone's collection. Mine is going back because it does not work properly, but I would hope it was either a fluke...or they solve their problems.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talking of the older models, I at one time owned one of the original Novatacs Serial 10006 and that was a great light and worked flawlessly.

I think in 2010, for $99, there are better choices out there if you want a nice, CR123 based light - Ra Clicky anyone? - US made, Type III anodizing, no cheap springs that unwind when you replace a battery - all for $99!!!

James.....:wave: