Jetbeam RRT-0 Vs. Nitecore Extreme Infinity

capt512

Newly Enlightened
So a little bit back I bought a Nitecore Extreme Infinity R2 and had it for a while, before it was stolen. I have decided to replace it, as I miss having it, but am currently between two different lights.

I am trying to decide between the Jetbeam RRT-0 & Nitecore Extreme Infinity R2.

I liked the strike bezel, size, feel, quality, strobe feature and power of the nitecore. However I hated the "infinite" controlled brightness feature, as it was always near impossible for me to change the brightness. I also ate through batteries pretty quick, but that could be because I always had it on MAX power...

The jetbeam looks similar, more output? less runtime? not as nice of strike bezel IMO, but maybe easier to control brightness? No strobe either :(

So which should I go for? What do you think? Pros & Cons?

Thanks,
Jon

horizonseeker

Enlightened
i like both. I have both the NDI and the Extreme and I haven't had any trouble changing the brightness level so my opinion maybe a little different than yours.

The Extreme is essentially a 2-level light so if you need to change more than 2 light levels constantly, then the RRT-0 is the best choice for you.

the RRT-0 with extension takes both AA and CR123 so batteries is no problem.

having said that, I still edc a NDI.

gilly

Enlightened
Nitecore makes nice lights - I owned a Nitecore Defender Infinity but ended up selling it. I also found the IBS function to be a pain. I've had an RRT-0 for about a month and a half now and really do love it. The build quality is phenomenal and the mode ring is great - can change it with one hand no problem. I've got the AA extender on mine and run it on 14500 lithiums and can pop a NiMh or alkaline in anytime as a backup. Output is outstanding - I'm sure it matches the Nitecore or exceeds it on max. The Nitecore can be set for a lower low and has the strike bezel if you need that feature. RRT can tailstand and has a stainless steel front bezel that will protect it from drops and dings.

Try an RRT-0 since you already had a NEI.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still waiting for my RRT-0 to arrive, si I only know what I read about that light. According to that, it is brighter and more of a thrower, even with the OP reflector.

I have an Extreme GDP and that one is surely not a thrower, it has a very smooth beam. The R2 is brighter and has probably also more throw. I don't really like the infinite britghtness system either. I'll probably find a brightness that suits me, but it means fumbling around and on mine it happens, that it begins to ramp by itself if I switch the brightness. If you don't loosen/tighten the head enough, it may switch back immediately and thus engage brightness changing. What's more, the head is half of the lights' length and if it isn't tighten, it may screw around one way or the other while manipulating the light. I like my heads tightened, which means full output here and high power consumption.

The RRT-0 has another concept with teh selection ring, I know that from the RRT-2 and the TC-R3, where it's not bad, but my RRT-2 rotates to easily (the clicks are not "deep" enough or how to explain) and the brightness changes teh wrong way round, comparing to other lights, it goes HI-MED-LOW-STROBE-STBY. Again, I don't know about the RRT-0, I hope it's better, but it's a minor issue for me, the ring itself is a wonderfull solution. I took the OP reflector and the extender to run it on a 14500.

My vote goes to the RRT-0! As for built quality, the one on my Extreme is very high and the one on all my Jetbeams as well, they are tough lights... :welcome:

jefierro

Newly Enlightened
If you don't mind the 2xcr123A length, then get the RRT-2 and have the best of both worlds.

Good Luck

pm91

Newly Enlightened
Good thread as I am debating between these two myself. I'm returning a JB 3M because the switch is faulty and for some reason, the 3M just doesn't appeal that much to me - even though it should be perfect for me. I am an on/off type of guy - I either want it full on or off, I don't have much of a need for all of these modes (except MAYBE strobe). If the light is too bright, ummm I just put my thumb or finger in front of the beam to temporarily reduce the brightness (I know, I'm weird). Due the JB3M experience, I am a little leery of JB at the moment. I'm leaning toward the NiteCore Extreme (what is "GDP"??). I like how the RRT-0 takes two different battery sizes, not exactly sure about the control ring. Also, I love my NDI and I have no idea how someone could sell theirs :)

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind the 2xcr123A length, then get the RRT-2 and have the best of both worlds.

Good Luck

I qualify the RRT-2 as dedicated thrower. There's hardly any spill (or consists only of rings) and no universatility at all.

The OP didn't really tell us what he's looking for, if it is a thrower, the RRT-2 is best in class for the small heads...

jefierro

Newly Enlightened
I consider the RRT-0 one of the best alternatives for EDC, with a small size, not the smallest, but still is very pocketable, long trow even with the OP reflector but also good for close work, a very nice range from 240 to 1 lumen i don't see the need to change any brightness settings on the ring evenly setup. But for pure show RRT-2 is one hell of a flashlight, I easily EDC both in my bag, no compromise between trow and small work with this two lights.

If I have to choose the RRT-0, is the best for every day small work, but bring spare batts.

curiousone1

Newly Enlightened
I agree...the RRT-0 is a great all around EDC....very durable, comes apart (relatively) easily for cleaning and upgrading and IMHO, a great looking light.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I qualify the RRT-2 as dedicated thrower. There's hardly any spill (or consists only of rings) and no universatility at all.

The OP didn't really tell us what he's looking for, if it is a thrower, the RRT-2 is best in class for the small heads...

Is the RRT-0 the same in this regard ie not very good for small, up close work? Thanks!

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my RRT-0 yesterday! :twothumbs

It has an OP reflector and the AA extender. The light is smaller than I tought. Without the extender, it should have the size of the Extreme. The built quality is excellent (as used to with Jetbeam), I just had to clean off a lot of excessive lube. The selection ring is much better than the one on my RRT-2. The clicks are harder and it turns the right way, clockwise to get more output, no useless strobe but a usefull low-low which can be activated quite easily.

As my light has the OP reflector, the beam is throwy, but has usefull spill as well. No comparison to my Exreme GDP, which is very floody without a real bright hotspot. It can indeed be used for close-up work, though pure flood is best for that purpose, a headlamp like a Zebralight is magical. The RRT-0 has a more or less universal beam on the throwy side. On high, the output with a 14500 is really great, the different levels are well spaced and I immediately set my light on low-low.

Jetbeam did a great job with the RRT-0, they improved the selection way just in the way I would have suggested. The only problem of this light is the somewhat high price, but it's worth it! With the extender, you have the choice of all possible cells to power it : Alkalines (don't...), NiMh, Lithium (L91), 14500, CR123A, RCR123, IMR 16340 or whatever if it has teh right size.

This great new light has my vote! :thumbsup:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love my RRT-0, its my current edc. i also have a D10 with adjustable brightest. i hardly ever use, but still like it enough not to sell.
runtime with the RRT-0 is short. 45 minutes on max with 1 cr123a, but conserving energy is really easy, because of the selector ring. changing brightness is quick and easy. the selector ring is usually at my finger tips too. the RRT-0 is a little thrower! with good spill. i have the OP reflector, and the beam isnt perfect, but its not horrible.
the RRT-0 almost compares to my olight m20, in throw and brightness. thats really saying something for a light of its size.
only complaints i have are the switch, creating strobe by lightly and rapidly pressing the switch is near impossible. its a forward clicky but the light turns on passed 50% of switch travel. and althought there are 5 output settings. i wished they were better spaced. did i mention its design is gorgeous?

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Both of these lights are sick get both of them. I got my RRT-0 from bug out gear and my NEI from Battery Junction. Dont forget the Ultrafire WF-139 and two AW RCR123 batteries and use the CPF discount codes. Oh and welcome to CPF.

pm91

Newly Enlightened
What is a NiteCore Extreme "GDP"? I've only seen it referred to as a NiteCore Extreme and sometimes as "NEX". I've never seen/heard of a "GDP" model(?).
Thanks,

pm91

Newly Enlightened
The "GDP" versions were a limited run of the D10/EX10 and the NDI/NEX with Golden Dragon Plus emitters instead of the Cree emitters normally used in these lights.
You can see beamshots of the differences in Selfbuilt's GDP D10/EX10 review here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/206986

LA VI,
Thanks for the info and the link. That GDP+ has a really nice beam.
Does the GDP+ still beat out the latest NDI and the latest NEX?

Thanks again, I appreciate it :)

Link Archer VI

Newly Enlightened
I don't own any of the GDP versions, so I can't say for sure, but I think they are a tad dimmer than the Cree versions. They got a nicer beam pattern, though.