Hand's free walking light

artdeg

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone recommend a hand's free light for walking my dog at night?

Warp

Enlightened
What you want is a headlamp. Go searching around the appropriate forum(s) within CPF, there will be tons of prior discussion on the topic. That should help you out quite a bit.

I don't have a lot of experience with headlamps but I do have a Zebralight H30-Q5 and it is very nice.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=89&products_id=455

You could also get one of many small, pocket sized lights with a headband and use it the same way as a headlamp when necessary.

blub

Enlightened
+1 on the Zebralight H30-Q5. I ordered directly from http://www.zebralight.com/ and it was here in three days, saving $20 + shipping. Great little light, I just clip it on my hat, belt or collar. I also have the H501 but prefer the 30's beam, it has a little more throw although the 501 uses AA batteries.

Last edited:

knightrider

Enlightened
One I might look into would be a First-Light Tomahawk. They can be put on a belt and still shine forward, etc. Or put on a backpack strap.

I'd only get a Tomahawk if using a headlamp wouldn't be desirable. For me wearing a headlamp for extended periods bothers me. Any longer than 20-30 minutes and I start feeling like my head is in a vice and sometimes a mild headache feeling too.

I love headlamps and use them daily, but not for long periods. Someday I'll probably get a Tomahawk, expensive, but a nice light for alternative uses.

http://www.lighthound.com/First-Light-USA-Tomahawk-GP-Angle-Head-Flashlight_p_2583.html

jankj

Enlightened
Zebralight headlamps are very nice, but if you want to see further than 20 feet they really don't cut it. All flood and no throw = great for close proximity tasks and not stepping in a poodle. Not that great if you're unsure which way to go.

You will see where you step and the next 4-5 steps ahead, but not much beyond that. That is great if you're in familiar terrain and just don't want to step in some other dog's business or snag on a branch. If you walk out in the woods and need to determine which path is the right one you would want a bit more throw. Of course you could use a handheld small thrower for that specific purpose, but then you don't have a hands free solution any more.

The princeton tec EOS headlamp is inexpensive and has a very good mix of throw and flood. It is an excellent choice for your purpose. It runs on 3*AAA batteries. You probably want to invest in some nimh rechargeables (sanoy eneloop comes to mind) and a charger.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
another vote for Zebralight. warm tint prefered.
i dont use it as a headband. i usually clip it to my shirt pocket, or on top of one of my shirt button. the clip doesnt look the greatest, but its very adjustable, and works great.

or maybe the fenix mc10 (anglelight) its head swivels. and ive seen a picture of it on the fenix site with it clipped onto someones belt.

strinq

Enlightened
Ignore the zebralight, it's not practical if u want to walk your dog.

This would be better IMHO.

fenix_mc10.jpg

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=201717

1Lumen

Newly Enlightened
One I might look into would be a First-Light Tomahawk. They can be put on a belt and still shine forward, etc.
You took the words out of my mouth! I'd go the belt route, too.

More often than not I'd want to light the path ahead, rather than what I'm looking around at!

Of course a helmet and hip combo wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Steve

jblackwood

Enlightened
Has anyone tried that new Zebralight on the same headband as one of their headlamps? I know there was a review that shows just this configuration and that would solve a lot of the shortcomings of the ZL Headlamps' reach. It might get a little hot after awhile, but that's what the silicone holders are for! :cool:

Illum

Flashaholic
All flood and no throw = great for close proximity tasks and not stepping in a poodle. Not that great if you're unsure which way to go.

poodles are quite agile creatures and you'll have a hard time stepping on them than a hole or depression leading from the roadway to a drainage canal:crackup:

puddles are okay, its those holes or bumps in or around tall grass that gives the most painful of sprains

artdeg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I like the idea of a light I can clip on my belt or clothing. Any other lights out there to fit my purpose? By the way the dog I walk is a poodle.

jankj

Enlightened
Originally Posted by strinq

Because the floody beam has too short range as a general purpose hiking light. Maybe you don't need that for walking the dog. Some people do, it really depends on where you live and in what terrain you walk that dog.

The zebralight is GREAT if you know the way and just want to avoid stepping in some other dog owners lazyness. If you want to, say, check out the path further ahead out in the bush (which one of these two paths is the right one?) then zebralights have too short range.

Warp

Enlightened
Originally Posted by strinq

Because the floody beam has too short range as a general purpose hiking light. Maybe you don't need that for walking the dog. Some people do, it really depends on where you live and in what terrain you walk that dog.

The zebralight is GREAT if you know the way and just want to avoid stepping in some other dog owners lazyness. If you want to, say, check out the path further ahead out in the bush (which one of these two paths is the right one?) then zebralights have too short range.

I suppose.

But I didn't think "walking the dog" meant hiking through brush where you need to throw some light down the trail in order to determine which direction was the righ way.

When I walk my dog, at night, it has always been somewhere that I knew where I was and where I was going.

BTW: I've used my Zebralight hiking in the Rocky Mountains and it was all the light I needed. With all of the twists, turns and cut-backs in the trail, not to mention brush and other vegetation, there wasn't much to light up directly ahead even if it had more throw.