Satellite photo of your house here

epro05

Newly Enlightened
I came across this site, which I found very interesting. You type in an address and it pops up a satellite photograph of that address, with the ability to pan and zoom. It has worked great for most of the addresses that I tried. Does it work for you? By the way, I have no affiliation with the company.

web page

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was featured on MapQuest for a while and it's still there - I used to have fun with it by saying on my site that you would find the exact location of my house. Guess what they got? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dan

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mapquest still does have aerial pictures. Mapquest has more recent pictures than Globexplorer, but none of the pictures I have seen are less than two years old.

epro05

Newly Enlightened
I just checked MapQuest and see that capability. In my case GlobeExplorer has a clearer, more zoomed, picture than MapQuest, but the GlobeExplorer watermark does detract from the appearance, and yes, the pic is a few years old. I still thought it was a pretty interesting demo of technology though.
Phil

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the Terraserver link.

That one works much better for me. I can actually recognize my street. The GlobeXplorer site just gives me an unrecognizable blur when I try to see my house.

Pat

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Terraserver one was really old and B/W for me... 1989 versus something newer with GlobeExplorer. Both interesting links...

Dan

BF Hammer

Enlightened
In my case, GlobalExplorer only had a wide photo of my entire home town. Terraserver did have a 2 year old photo of my neighborhood. In those 2 years, I gained a sidewalk in front of my home, and all the trees obscurring the view of my house are gone. There used to be a 120 or so year old maple in my neighbor's back yard that fell over and took out 5 other trees along the back of my lot. I went from a very shady backyard that I couldn't grow grass on to a very sunny, grassy, and empty yard.

My neighborhood in 2001

Tomas

Banned
I have several "overhead" shots of where I live (it's a four story, two-block-long apartment building with a white roof, so it's easy to see), and this is the best one I have right now. Reasonable resolution and about 1 1/2 to 2 years old. Yes, the crosshair is centered on my apartment.

OT08.jpg

Oak Terrace, Apt 216 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

OT11.jpg

Neighborhood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

T_sig6.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Gloveexplorer works GREAT for me, except that the watermark is centered directly over my house, completely obscuring any detail. I can tell it is a quite recent photo though, as my young trees look as big as they really are today. Pretty cool, but I wish I could see my house!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Darrel I found if you click through 2 "order prints" stages, you get a lo res. thumbnail, but without the logos..

I can drag to my house, but can't get a url that goes right to it..

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, they want $35 to download a full resolution picture? They are gonna get slammed with all of us playing with it and nobody purchasing. Bad business planning I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

terraserver is free isn't is unless you want a really big show and they don't put those annoying watermarks over the top either.

I would certainly pay $10, I might even pay $15 but $35 is too much. They are no fun.

ewick

Enlightened
Notice that some states have satellite imagery available, and some are flown aerial photos.

Some states offer these aerial photos for FREE. Example: Kentucky offers aerials for the entire state in .jpg at 72 dpi, usgs topo .tiffs, geologic quadrangle .tiffs, digital elevation data, tagged vector contours, ... everything.

The problem is finding the website that offers these images. But once they're found, you can use AutoCAD if you've got it, or ESRI's ArcExplorer (a free download) to tile these images together to create any size mosaic you want. And they look great, as long as you don't try to zoom in right on top of your house.

And you can keep your $35.

Tomas

Banned
I think I need to talk to my city's information services folks - we just had a question about removing some trees and one of the city's inspectors showed up with a glossy 8X10 of just this lot, from the air - straight down.

Looked like it was taken from maybe 1000-2000 feet.

We'd only called him about a an hour and a half earlier ...

The do have most of their mapping and images for sale to the public, I need to check on prices.

I shoulda mugged him for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T_sig6.gif