Drivers in Parallel

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if I use 3 LED drivers in parallel and one of them is multi-mode, will all three dim down in each mode or do all of them need to be multi mode?
Thanks

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
That all depends on the driver.
Some can some cant.

Hate to sound like a parrot but questions like this are probably best asked in this forum.
That way you are more likely to get a broader range of people answering it.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
That all depends on the driver.
Some can some cant.

Hate to sound like a parrot but questions like this are probably best asked in this forum.
That way you are more likely to get a broader range of people answering it.

I just know you are here and you have most of the answers... lol!
They are the DX P7 2.8 amp drivers. I was trying to drive an SST-90 with them and have bothe the multi and single mode ones. Have you tried this Pack? I just did and the drivers started smoking at about 4 amps within seconds! That was with no LED on them. It seemed once I put a load on them the smoke went away. Is this right? I guess all that energy with nowhere to go caused the smoke.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just know you are here and you have most of the answers... lol!
They are the DX P7 2.8 amp drivers. I was trying to drive an SST-90 with them and have bothe the multi and single mode ones. Have you tried this Pack? I just did and the drivers started smoking at about 4 amps within seconds! That was with no LED on them. It seemed once I put a load on them the smoke went away. Is this right? I guess all that energy with nowhere to go caused the smoke.

Most drivers can not be powered without a load on them, they go :poof: in a hurry.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what happens is that they pump the voltage up so they can deliver a higher current but since there is no load the voltage keeps going up until...poof.
This is probably more a effect on boost drivers though I think while the KD driver is a buck.
You may find that one driver was trying to drive the other since it may have thought it was a load???

Any back to your original question ( which I am as qualified to answer as I am to pilot the space shuttle). I think you will find if (IF) it works what will happen is that the modes on each driver may get out of sync and one will be on high while the other is on med.

What you need to do is remove one of the mode parts of the driver and drive that driver from the other mode electronics.
There is a pic of how to do this with AMC 7135 driver board some where but its 2342 hrs and I simply cant be fudged looking for it for you.
I did read another thread in the last few days where someone paralleled 2 DX drivers with great results. They are single mode so you could just turn one driver off for a hi and low mode. BUT I am sure its not a perfect solution. You may find one driver will take most of the load (perhaps untill it is saturated) and the 2nd driver takes the rest. I dont know??

Now where did I leave the keys to that shuttle?

Codiak

Enlightened
they cost a bit more but TaskLed.com has two boards that work together.

d2flex for modes PWM
hipCC for 2.8A

For my SST-50 I will be using 2 hipCCs in parallel. Though looking at the specs I'm unsure if the d2flex could handle the draw of 3 in parallel.

Frankly, I'll move the SST-90 when an appropriate driver is available and not before.... though the new Cree looks interesting

Codiak

Enlightened
You should ask George (designer of the TaskLED drivers). Last time I asked him the same question he advised against it.

As part of a larger email exchange with him he said it will work... that's not the same as him advising to do it.

btw, if anyone has a same form factor prefabbed latching circuit for Piezo switching let me know. The D2Flex + Piezo is a simple toggle without selectable levels... really all I'm looking for at this time... still would be nice to get complete functionality

Driving the SST-50 at 5.6Amps is a larger concern but hey I'll risk it in the final version.