Spray On Glass - Revolutionary Product

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I saw this all over the tech sites yesterday. The two things I did not see addressed were: would this be available to home users (I foresee issues with glass particles in the lungs, so I predict this will be industrial use only), and how much does it cost?

The Dane

Enlightened
I saw this all over the tech sites yesterday. The two things I did not see addressed were: would this be available to home users (I foresee issues with glass particles in the lungs, so I predict this will be industrial use only), and how much does it cost?

Quote www.physorg.com

In the home, spray-on glass would eliminate the need for scrubbing and make most cleaning products obsolete. Since it is available in both water-based and alcohol-based solutions, it can be used in the oven, in bathrooms, tiles, sinks, and almost every other surface in the home, and one spray is said to last a year. Liquid glass spray is perhaps the most important nanotechnology product to emerge to date. It will be available in DIY stores in Britain soon, with prices starting at around £5 ($8 US). Other outlets, such as many supermarkets, may be unwilling to stock the products because they make enormous profits from cleaning products that need to be replaced regularly, and liquid glass would make virtually all of them obsolete.

Further info: www.nanopool.eu/couk/index.htm

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Quote www.physorg.com

In the home, spray-on glass would eliminate the need for scrubbing and make most cleaning products obsolete. Since it is available in both water-based and alcohol-based solutions, it can be used in the oven, in bathrooms, tiles, sinks, and almost every other surface in the home, and one spray is said to last a year. Liquid glass spray is perhaps the most important nanotechnology product to emerge to date. It will be available in DIY stores in Britain soon, with prices starting at around £5 ($8 US). Other outlets, such as many supermarkets, may be unwilling to stock the products because they make enormous profits from cleaning products that need to be replaced regularly, and liquid glass would make virtually all of them obsolete.

Further info: www.nanopool.eu/couk/index.htm

Thanks! I'm still curious about the health effects. If this sticks to plastics fairly well, I'd love to have this to spray on the hull of my kayak.

v188

Newly Enlightened
If this works to clean bathrooms, I'll be buying it and stacking it deep. The Gov has banned all the good cleaning products, and all that is left is this enviro clean crap that doesn't work well, if at all.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
The Gov has banned all the good cleaning products, and all that is left is this enviro clean crap that doesn't work well, if at all.

The EPA & CDC regulate and sometimes ban certain cleaning products for a reason - they can contain chemicals that cause cancer, brain damage, kidney and liver failure... and more fun stuff.

The green cleaning products (or the "enviro clean crap", as you call it :p) work amazingly well, and are fast becoming the standard in commercial and industrial cleaning companies.

:thumbsup: john

The Dane

Enlightened
The EPA & CDC regulate and sometimes ban certain cleaning products for a reason - they can contain chemicals that cause cancer, brain damage, kidney and liver failure... and more fun stuff.

The green cleaning products (or the "enviro clean crap", as you call it :p) work amazingly well, and are fast becoming the standard in commercial and industrial cleaning companies.

:thumbsup: john

For one reason only:
v188 said:
The Gov has banned all the good cleaning products

fyrstormer

Banned
I switched to Green Works and Seventh Generation cleaners about a year ago and never looked back. I occasionally run into something that I need 409 for, but not very often. The "enviro crap" works just fine.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
For one reason only:

Not true at all. :shakehead Unless you have proof otherwise? :poke:

There are still plenty of very harsh cleaning chemicals out there (especially that commercial/industrial cleaning companies have access to). However, some companies (both manufacturers and service providers) are forward-thinking enough to realize that end users (building owners and property managers) have started demanding that they not use such strong chemicals.

I switched to Green Works and Seventh Generation cleaners about a year ago and never looked back. I occasionally run into something that I need 409 for, but not very often. The "enviro crap" works just fine.

:rock: WORD!

Newly Enlightened

This is something I just leaned today: Scientists study the particle sizes of sprays and ect, to determine if it is safe to use around humans. There is a particular particle size range that is dangerous, it is small enough to be inhaled but large enough to stick in your lungs and not be exhaled, a smaller particle will be able to be inhaled and exhaled.

Empath

Flashaholic
Garilla, we use the policy of attack the post and not the poster, around here. Shifting the posts to ridiculing, is heading the wrong way.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Cool. I wonder how well this would work as a coating over the grout around the floor tiles.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm also wondering about potential health effects. If this stuff adheres so well to fabrics and other materials, what's to keep it from adhering to lung tissue and staying there forever? I can see this being used only for industrial applications for this reason.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Well they claim it is breathable in the 2nd paragraph on their website...although I'm not sure if they mean the water/alcohol vehicle vapors. Surely they are not inviting people to inhale an aerosolized exposure.

I'm sure they would have had to address this from a health risk, because if you click on their various pages, they are clearly intending this for ubiquitous home use.

First thing I thought of was how it would perform on a windshield that has been sand-pitted. Their surfaces page includes links at the top for: Textiles, Stone, Metal, Plastic, Glass.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
this looks like similar stuff, but it's impregnated into wood.
makes it stronger, nearly indestructable -- they say...
coats the wood fibers with molecules of glass..nontoxic. seems ideal.

http://www.woodwontburn.com/

" TimberSIL ($2.25 to $2.50 a linear foot, compared with roughly $2.75 to $3.75 for top-quality composites and $1.50 for kiln-dried wood decking) "petrifies wood by treating it with silica," creating a wood product that's nontoxic, noncorrosive and a Class A fire retardant, says EBN editor Peter Yost. The manufacturer calls the stuff *"glass wood," since the glass is infused into the spaces between the fibers in the wood, a Southern yellow pine. "You can have a raging fire and it just sits there and looks at you," says TimberSIL representative Rick Dixon ..."

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plans are for wide spread applications. Liquid glass:
-won't rust, won't fade
-prevents weathering, preserves monuments
-anti-microbial, anti-virial, anti-bacterial, protects against UV
-is flexible and breathable, reduces friction
-seeds coated last longer, plants sprayed grow bigger faster as they aren't attacked and don't need incecticides/anti-funcial sprays
-sprayed surfaces come clean with water as contaminents cannot adhere to the surface
-fabrics become stain resistent and water resistant, don't fade or abraid

From grapes to bricks to catheter's to kitchen counters this stuff is poised to cover majority of all consumer surfaces.

Removed with a strong base (ph ~12, e.g. bleach)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one that is seeing this as a non reactive compound being suspended in water or alcohol as a delivery agent that is supposed to be some be all end all amazing product?

Last time I checked SiO2 was nothing terribly special, just quartz crystal, a simple solid that is very stable, but doesn't show half of the supposed properties that this stuff supposedly has.

Latest posts