Diamond Head HI

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm going to hawaii in a couple weeks. it's my first time. specifically going to honolulu. so when i was researching things to do, i noticed a recommendation for a flashlight for diamond head.

i'm not sure if that means if you hike at night or if you need it in the daytime. anybody been there?
why would you need a flashlight? :shrug: :rock:

i wonder if there are any other flashlight activities....

InTheDark

Enlightened
I've been there over a decade ago, but I suppose Diamond head hasn't changed too much since then. If I remember, there is a tunnel section that you have to walk through, but it's not very long so you won't get lost without a flashlight. If it's daytime, there's enough light coming in from both ends that you can easily make your way through. I think the recommendation is more for being able to see what's on the ground in front of you to prevent you from tripping.

If you're on this forum asking why you need a flashlight, then something's wrong. What you should be asking is which 5 flashlights they should be taking, and how many spare sets of batteries would be required, or you should just use this as an excuse to go buy a new light. :)

Last edited:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
The only time I have been to Diamond Head was in my younger days (70s) when they had what was called the "Diamond Head Crater Festival", which was an all day multi stage Rock Concert. I remember hiking up top the top of the crater on a long path and going through a short tunnel. After reaching the top and enjoying the view I noticed there was a stairwell up there and followed a bunch of other people in, this stairwell lead down to a series of bunkers 3 maybe 4 stacked one above the other facing the ocean and over looking Waikiki to the side. The concert, bunkers, and the view were enough to bring out the slang word at the time "Righteous", and to be one of my fond memories of growing up here.

This was done during the day and no flashlights were needed, if I were to go back now I would have light even though it is not needed – but that's just me.
;)

Last edited:

makapuu

Enlightened
i wonder if there are any other flashlight activities....[/QUOTE]

How's about Googling "Oahu Ghost Tours".
There's 3 different levels of tours.
I recommend the "Orbs Of Oahu", it's the most intense.
Hopefully you get "Uncle Joe" as your guide, he's the best, imo.
Bring a strong light or 2 or 3 or ................
When I went I brought a Elektrolumens EDC MCE for flood and a Tiablo A9 aspherical for distance.
For a while there I was the center of attention.
Have fun.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wonder if there are any other flashlight activities

How's about Googling "Oahu Ghost Tours".
There's 3 different levels of tours.
I recommend the "Orbs Of Oahu", it's the most intense.
Hopefully you get "Uncle Joe" as your guide, he's the best, imo.
Bring a strong light or 2 or 3 or ................
When I went I brought a Elektrolumens EDC MCE for flood and a Tiablo A9 aspherical for distance.
For a while there I was the center of attention.
Have fun.

thanks for the replies guys.

this is what i'm talking about. :twothumbs thx makapuu