Quark 123^2 Tactical Problem

Legend

Newly Enlightened
I recently acquired a Quark 123^2 Tactical. The tailcap seems to malfunction sometimes. When I click it in, the light does not stay on. When in that position, I can press the button further to turn it on momentarily. I should also note that there is be a popping sound like a vacuum cause the rubber to stick when releasing the button which I haven't heard before on a forward clicky. This sound may not be significant. Does anyone have suggestions?

Last edited:

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
I recently acquired a Quark 123^2 Tactical. The tailcap seems to malfunction sometimes. When I click it in, the light does not stay on. When in that position, I can press the button further to turn it on momentarily. I should also note that there is be a popping sound like a vacuum cause the rubber to stick when releasing the button which I haven't heard before on a forward clicky. This sound may not be significant. Does anyone have suggestions?
My recently acquired Quark AAx2 Tactical had a switch that was a little finicky at first too, but after numerous activations it soon started working properly. It was about 75% when I got it, and it slowly got better and better and now it's 100% after one week. I'm guessing there was a lot of lube in the switch and it just needed to clean itself a bit to work properly. Perhaps it just needs some time to break in?
:)

Legend

Newly Enlightened
I tried tightening the ring in the tailcap and cleaned the threads of the tailcap and tail end of the body tube and the problem still occurs. I e-mailed 4S and they gave me the "You can correct it by simply tightening the retaining ring" (please try this and don't demand that we replace anything, because, if you read the warranty statement, it is our option whether to do so or not) ) response. I read that someone else had this problem and they replaced his tailcap without a hassle. I guess I'll have to send the light back for a refund as if I were simply unhappy with it, even though this should be covered by the warranty.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
They will fix it. But you wouldn't believe the number of lights that go back due to user error. Call them.

Legend

Newly Enlightened
I loosened the retaining ring a bit and this seems to have resolved the problem. It could also have been due to a "breaking in" that occurred when I was playing with the switch. One odd thing I noticed though, when turned off and on rapidly, it seemed to have gone into moonlight mode for a second. Also, when turning it on momentarily to the 22 lumen setting, it seems to ramp up sometimes. This doesn't occur at max power.

Last edited:

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
One odd thing I noticed though, when turned off and on rapidly, it seemed to have gone into moonlight mode for a second. Also, when turning it on momentarily to the 22 lumen setting, it seems to ramp up sometimes. This doesn't occur at max power.
That's what's known as the preflash issue. The light's programming seems to have some defaults that make it act a bit odd if you radically change the programming modes. Try setting the tight bezel level to Low or Moonlight and when you turn it on, it will briefly flash at full power before dropping to the programmed level. See this thread for info and how to possibly overcome it:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/260260

:thumbsup: