• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Terrralux AA Maglite conversion

Cave_Dweller

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I have a "Snap-On" branded 2*AA Maglite knocking around, which I got a while back from Snap-On as part of a special offer. I decided to upgrade it with a Terralux LED mod (TLE-5EX).

Does anyone have any experience with these? The thing fits, and works, and it's bright, but it seems to completely trash the focussing of the Mag. The LED emitter unit is quite deep, which I thought would be compensated for by the different reflector shipped with the upgrade, but it still seems to be too thick for it to focus in any useful way. Is this normal, or did I get a lemon?

Any feedback gratefully received - thanks.

Glenn.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have tle 5ex, claimed 140lm.
not impressed, it is better than incand minimag, and about as bright as magled mini.
my coleman max 2cr2 115lm is soo much brighter, i don't know how they got 140lm number.:shakehead

my advice forget about tle-5ex upgrade, add $5-$10 and get coleman max 2 cr2's at walmart, (batteries included), it is brigter, beam is a lot better, and it is smaller.

Last edited:

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
i have tle 5ex, claimed 140lm.
not impressed, it is better than incand minimag, and about as bright as magled mini.
my coleman max 2cr2 115lm is soo much brighter, i don't know how they got 140lm number.:shakehead

my advice forget about tle-5ex upgrade, add $5-$10 and get coleman max 2 cr2's at walmart, (batteries included), it is brigter, beam is a lot better, and it is smaller.

And be bankrupted with the cost of the CR2 batteries.