LF3XT+AA TUBE+14500+Dummy Cell

hotlight

Enlightened
ordered a lf3xt w. (X2)AA tube, a dummy cell from AW, and have 14500.

wondering if I'll be fine doing this, and if anyone has tried and would like to comment about pros and cons/issues?

if this will work, should I put the 14500 closer to the head? vice versa?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem using this setup but no major advantage execpt slightly brighter than using 2 NIMH. If you plan to use it for a long period, bring some NIMH because the 14500 won't give you a long runtime.

There is no difference for the cell if it's near the head or the tailcap.

Be sure to turn on the over-discharge protection if your 14500 are not protected.

It's going to be a nice light, you will like it for sure. It's built like a tank with the 2 x AA tube but it's very heavy. You might find a lot more convenient to use the CR123 tube if you plan to use it as an EDC.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you are using a dummy cell, it appears you are aware that you can't use 2-14500 cells with the LF3XT head. However, I would, instead, recommend using 2 NIMH cells with the tube. The major advantage of using the 2xAA tube is the potentially longer battery life you might get with 2 NIMH cells vs using the CR123 tube with a single cell. I agree with derfyled that as an EDC light you will be much better off with the CR123 tube, unless you need the longer battery life that a 2 cell tube might provide. This 2xAA IS heavy.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Others covered that the 14500 doesn't really buy you much. As a backup (if you have 14500's with you when the 123 tube isn't) it's an option. If you just like using the 2xAA tube for some other reason but want the higher drive current from Li-ion you could look at the 14670 from AW in the marketplace. You'd need a different sized spacer but it would give you the higher drive and more capacity than either an RCR or 14500.

hotlight

Enlightened
cool, thanks fellows.

I just got it in the mail couple hours ago, and it is quite hefty.... probably keep it in my backpack.

have a lf5xt coming also, I'll probably just run the 14500 in the lf5xt and run nimhs in the 2AA lf3xt.

as far as edc- got the lf2xt for that

the reason for running the dummy and 14500 would be just to be a little brighter, and I have 5 of them+needed a reason to buy a dummy cell--I'll do this when I want to use a bigger light and not far from batteries. wasn't sure on runtimes vs. nimh, didn't really think about it.

again, appreciate the help.... liteflux rules:)