Fishing/Shrimping Light

letbelight

Newly Enlightened
FirstLight.jpg

Work.jpg

I'd like to make these green fluorescent lights as they are near impossible to attain locally... can someone give advice/instructions on how to go about building one, thinking 24" long +/-... I'm not an electrician not even in the amateur sense, but I learn quick :grin2: Thanks for any advice.

Lites.jpg

Also, these look like they'd work great too:
979361c142e91c029fa853b4eeb6d90bb48892a0.jpg

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, letbelight.

You posted this in a fairly obscure part of the forum, but as these definitely do look like "special application" lights, I can understand why you posted there.

I'll move the thread to Homemade & Modified as I think that may be the best place for responses.

Vbeez

Enlightened
Nice light, remind me of Master Yoda.
Pardon me for asking, how do you use it during fishing/shrimping ?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
That just looks like some PVC pipe and fittings, maybe clear acrylic pipe, fluorescent tube ballasts, and extension cords. I think the top ones may use 110VAC, probably by inverter.

letbelight

Newly Enlightened
That's prob all it is... any direction on how to build one... components, suppliers, etc?

Last edited:

Vbeez

Enlightened
My biggest problem is that you can't buy these type of lights unless you join that club... makes me wanna build one out of spite!

You found the right forum. The Experts will guide you, even make a better one
Interesting way of shrimping. Thanks.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's prob all it is... any direction on how to build one... components, suppliers, etc?

I google-product-searched "green fluorescent tube" and got a bunch of hits.

Clear plastic tubing of all kinds in all sizes comes from mcmaster.com

PVC pipe, fittings, solvent, 110V inverter, silicone caulk, and construction adhesive are at your local home center. Depending on that length tube you get, the ballasts might come from there too.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the light greenish because shrimp like green, or is that just a side effect of whatever light they're using? Do you need small lights scattered all around, or would a couple big ones on poles do?

Norm

Retired Administrator
Is the light greenish because shrimp like green, or is that just a side effect of whatever light they're using?
I'm sure it's just a green florescent tube, I also think it's a bit of a sales gimmick.

I've been prawning with nothing more than a waterproof incandescent torch and a prawn net, I'm sure there would be plenty of LED solutions a bare P7 on a heat sink in a screw top jar with a cable gland or similar would probably give as much light as the compact florescent version. A lot easier to build an power.
Just thinking if you had you power source (batteries) inside the jar there would be no need for any waterproofing.
Norm

letbelight

Newly Enlightened
The guy that built these locally here is now selling led versions and reports are that led is spanking the fluorescents... considering I have lots more options with LED I think I will try that first and for now abandon the fluorescent version... there is another thread on this forum re led lights for this application so I'll give that a looksee... thanks everyone