Mounting SST-90

plasmaman

Enlightened
Any experiences/tips/advice/pics on the best way to mount an SST-90 bare emitter in a Mag D body?
I will produce the heatsink.
Looks like the emitter needs to sit inside the reflector to get optimised beam (same as a P7), so the emitter needs to sit on a post on the heatsink - but as far as I can see the solder pads are on the underside of the emitter, so how to get it to sit flat on the post and still get maximum surface contact with the heatsink is confusing me!
shrug.gif

PS - haven't actually got the emitter yet - on the way from Fred......

John

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
Drill out small recesses, and holes though which you'll run the wire leads to the PCB, maybe you can even flow solder through the holes to the pads.

Er, maybe not - since you can't have the solder touch the heatsink and short, so, maybe solder with the wires through the holes, then set the led back onto the heatsink, and use a thermal paste like arctic silver.

plasmaman

Enlightened
OK - so I finished it!
2D body, FM 2.5" deep throw head, solid custom ally finned heatsink with pedestal machined to fit the centre part of the SST-90, D2flex v2 board, momentary modded mag switch and 2 x Li 7.5ah cells built into a parallel 3.7v pack.
Very bright - 2.5 times the output of a P7 running the same cell.
Need to measure the current draw on full power.
Great tint, good throw/spread with the 2.5" reflector - a standard size MOP reflector didn't give as much focus to the beam.
Tricky build, but worth the effort I think.