Can ITP A3 EOS Keychain be trusted??

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I'm new, don't know if this topic has been discussed, but I want to replace my fenix E01 with the EOS on my keychain.

Has anyone used the included EOS keychain and had it break? It doesnt seem too strong and the eyelet hole for the split ring is quite small(want to put a thicker split ring, but does not fit good)

Or has anyone come up with a better way of securing to keys, Thanks in advance.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
You're right, the chain is crap. Just use the split ring and attach it the same as your E01. I use the ss pico snap gate http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/hardware/stainless_clips.html You can get better split rings too.

:welcome:

I clicked the link and a bell went off in my head as I remembered the small keychain that came with my nitcore ez123. I just put that one on and it looks pretty sturdy, I'll give that one a try, thanks for jarring my memory

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the titanium version, figured it'd hold its own amidst my keys, I bought it because I purchased a 11400 cell from AW a year ago for a solitar mod that didn't happen.
Right, so everyone says don't use a 4.2v lithium cell in this little light right? Care to guess current draw on high?

1.1A !!! Yup, this tiny torch pulled over 1100ma. Now I'd prefer knurling to ridges, but nice Ti light with a decent mid and a very usable 'low.' And 1A on high (lets call it 'boost'!) Very flexible light source.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the titanium one and I ditched the keychain. I have one to my dad and suggested he do the same thing.

The split ring sucks too though, somehow his split ring came off his primary keychain and he lost his ti light in only a few weeks. My Split ring looks like it is starting to stretch as well.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took off the keychain and just attached the split ring to the split ring of a Victorinox Classic SD SAK.

I wish they'd use the iTP A2 EOS keychain on the A3s....it's a much better design IMO.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I was just looking at specs for A1 & A1 Titanium, looks really small and powerful, might have to buy one of those next.

JML

Enlightened
Do you mean the chain itself or the clasp? I have an A1 in SS. The chain itself is a pretty standard higher-quality keychain, with what look like welded links, polished with flat surfaces. The weak parts would be the cut link at the end, which connects to the clasp, and the clasp itself.

I kept the split ring and connected it to a Suncoast stainless snap gate clip (the original inspiration for the smaller ones now available). It's difficult to find a small split ring that will open wide enough to fit the snap gate and not deform, and also be thin enough to go through hole in the the tail cap of the light, so I kept the original.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Do you mean the chain itself or the clasp? I have an A1 in SS. The chain itself is a pretty standard higher-quality keychain, with what look like welded links, polished with flat surfaces. The weak parts would be the cut link at the end, which connects to the clasp, and the clasp itself.

I kept the split ring and connected it to a Suncoast stainless snap gate clip (the original inspiration for the smaller ones now available). It's difficult to find a small split ring that will open wide enough to fit the snap gate and not deform, and also be thin enough to go through hole in the the tail cap of the light, so I kept the original.

I mean the links themselves, + the "o" rings on either side of the links and the split ring - all look like they might break easily. From the pics of the A1 chain and split ring looks beefier, I might order an A1 so I'll be able to compare them. Does SS version have a clip?

Last edited:

Conan

Newly Enlightened
I have the Titanium version and I've been using the key-chain that came with it since December with no problems so far.

Last edited:

Zendude

Enlightened

That's what I was talking about. Out of 4 that I gifted 3 came apart at the cut link(nobody lost the light though). My buddy just got an A2 and it didn't have the cut links....coincidence?

exchange240sx

Newly Enlightened
I have been carrying my A3 in aluminum on my keychain for a couple of months now and both the split ring and chain seem fine. The light is very light and I don't really see how it will put that much stress on the chain/split ring.

fannin

Enlightened
the keychain seemed to be garbage so i took it off mine immediately

the clip seemed weak and the first time i wore it clipped to my front pocket i almost lost it so i ditched the clip too

the actual light has been outstanding so far and you can attach a lanyard or whatever to the split ring it comes with, i wouldn't trust the chain or the weak pocket clip again

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have taken the chain off mine and placed a larger split ring on the smaller one and wear mine around my neck on a lanyard or using the clip put it in my shirt pocket.

A little tip for all,to save scratching the finish I placed a small piece of shrink wrap tubing on my clip and shrunk it down with a heat gun,use a lighter or hair dryer if you have not a proper heat shrink gun.Tubing can be had in different colours but I used the standard black on all mine.

If you come across the grey coloured one check before use as one make shrinks down 3 to 1 and contains glue.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just decided to double up on the small split rings it came with, Does not seem so flimsy now and still has the size of a small split-ring. I was going to put a beefier ring on it but this seems to be a better solution for me. I have had mine since november but since my dad lost his (and he didn't have the clasp just splitring attached to splitring) one cant be too safe!

Mine is actually the O-light version BTW but I believe they are the same thing.

JML

Enlightened
The A1 SS chain has one cut link on the chain, on the lobster-claw end. The other links are all uncut. The light does come with a clip, but the clip will leave scratch marks on the light's body when the light is twisted to turn it on and off, unless it is made very loose. The clip will also move around the tail, where it fits onto the body. I took it off, and polished the light with my Dremel and some Flitz polish, removing all the markings on the body caused by the clip.

I think the best method would have been to fix it iin one position on the body of the light, perhaps with stops machined into the tail of the light to prevent rotation. But I'm just glad I could take it off without permanent damage to the light.

Last edited:

ky70

Banned
I have a different take on this keychain as I absolute LOVE IT! I moded it though by removing all of the chain links in between the big ring and the bottom attachment doohickey.

I use this setup to carry my Quark mini 123 on my belt loop. I attached a stronger small key ring to the mini and then attached it to the doohickey. This thing is perfect for me as I love that I can remove my mini with a quick squeeze of the big key ring and then snap it back into place when I'm done. Love the security of this option when attached. Now I wouldn't go running around doing cartwheels while the the doohickey is disengaged (as there is that small opening at the bottom when the doohickey isn't attached), but this has been favorite carry option thus far.

Anyone looking to make a few bucks and sell there ITP A3 keychain, send me a pm.

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
well i broke my itp's keychain at that last mini keyring at the base of the flashlight so i shoved one of the bigger split rings through it from the keychain and soldered it together.... and it wont break with 20 lbs on it so hopefully it will hold