Im new, and have some rookie mods q's

spin1078

Newly Enlightened
First off let me introduce myself, the names brADD. Have always been the friend in the crew that had the flashlight overkill. Then about 2 years ago my recently EX gf and I met, and she worked for the police dept as a CSI. She got me into going to the range, and I proceeded to spend way to uch money on handguns.

As all my interests, I take them beyond the avg bear, so I went beyond just learning about guns, I got into ballistics, and then tactical sudy. This brings me to tactical lights. I have been an LED bright light freak for a while. All my friends say get a life. Then I find this forum.

Not only do you share my affinity for all things flashlight, you know so much more about the stuff that I no longer feel like the super nerd. I know the forum drills, and believe me I have searched. The problem is, while one would think with so much info it would be easy, sifting through countless threads I cant find what I am looking for but I find new stuff I like.

Surefire has the niche on the handgun magazine advertising. Ive read a lot about them and until this place, questioned whether you were paying for the brand name or the item. Thanks for clearing that question up. My next one, while a common one, shall have a bit of a twist so read it before the flames emit!

I am trying to seek out my new EDC, and a decent tac lite at the same time (2 lights at the same time)

Im running with (dont laugh because the thing does its job and has not failed me yet) a CR2 Coleman MAX, and the 3AAA CREE Colman Performance with the crenelated bezel. This was more for tactical reasons and not so much the fact that you can find your light if you set it down standing up.

Enter the world of cheap chineese LED's/ I google Ultrafire and what do I find, people saying not bad for the money. I buy, havent received but I think I know what I am getting. I did buy a 16.00 generic light with CREE on the side. Its a Small Sun. Not bad again. got it before the ultrafire find. Have a friend whose a security guard, so I will offload them to him as he runs the Coleman as well.

These suit me fine but with the itch of the incometax check on the horizon for Feb 12th, I have one thing to say.

ITS ON SUREFIRE.

that being said, I have infact seen the Fenix TK-11. I did like it. I could see myself with a E1D surefire and then possibly a second light for a fullsize. This is my dilemma. I know surefire is better quality, but here in florida, other than dropped it from 6 ft or less and waterproof, I dont hike or ride ATV. I wonder if the TK-11 is rugged enough, or maybe even the p3d r4.

SO WHY DID I POST THIS IN MODS. well....heres another dilemma. I love building customs stuff. as a computer guy Im compelled to see what I can construct. Do you just start purchasing parts for these lights from a reputable dealer? Is there a sticky Im missing because I saw a 18 page thread with the coolest F'in lights all lego's (see im learning terminology)

I saw a e1d with a different head/bezel that even had a little chrome looking accent. Ill hunt for it to inquire more. Now I think I may just go for the Fenix p3d, and then for my EDC, mod a little. But I can afford to buy 2 lights from surefire rob them of parts. I would want to buy a host (another term i have picked up form you guys in 2 days) and maybe gain all the parts I need to achive this little beauty of a light.

My Coleman MAX is my buddy. I will tell you that regardless of brand, the slim, flat profile of the light makes it ideal to use the graham flashlight technique with my glock. the technique of activating the clicky via hitting it with your body armor (yeah right not a cop so thats my boob man) is not easy with this clicky as it is flush. As Massad Ayoob recommended to me, being the Surefire man that he is, you can try modifying the technique a bit with your thumb. Holding your thumb on the clicky before bashing it on your chest helps a lot, and even more when you have the tac bezel on the tailcap.

My biggest issue with my Small Sun and Im sure my Ultrafire, is the clickys BLOW. I want a decent instant on and a firm click that wont come on so easy. The smal sun has a full (180 lumen thats prob like 150) and strobe then low. I dont like that it stays in the mode you last turned it off. If that was programmable then yeah but its just the last setting. I dont want a strobe at 3 am that distracts me and my gun just as much as the badguy or BG.

so a little help to get a start on either modding my WF-501B (302-B on the way and which ever I like most stays with me, other goes to securoty guard buddy) and/or small sun. Plus a custom E1B or D little EDC carry with the swapped out head. That thing was sweet, it was darkl green. I will find the pic.

So hello, sorry for the novel but hey, if your on the internet reading about flashlights then you didnt have anything better to do like me, and now you have done something. Well, maybe wasted 30 mins of your life reading my garbage but WHO CARES! Hello everybody, Im going to get some water to douse the flames that will ensue. :)

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, spin1078.

You posted this in the B/S/T section, which is for buying/selling/trading. I'm moving it to H&M, but it would help members if you were to make up your mind what light you are going to modify.

spin1078

Newly Enlightened
Well I am wanting to begin to mod my Ultrafire, and then when I actually decide on a Surefire (or Fenix) then I will mod/lego it.

I saw the UV mod for a 502B on Youtube and was intrigued. Any suggestions/ideas?