Any other 400+ lumen lights close to 6P size?

Dole

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering if there are any other 400+ lumen lights that I am missing besides:

Dereelight CL1H MC-E
6P host and Malkoff MC-E
6P host + any other drop-in

Remember these have to be in the size range of the lights above, It has to be pocketable.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
:shrug:

take the lumens figure with a *tiny* grain of salt, Wayne makes great, extremely sturdy lights, but even he is not beyond laws of physics.

The 700-900 is probably the LED specs and will vary depending on the actual LED, the battery, and other factors.

But they are bright, that's one thing I do know about his lights.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it really that many lumens? Seems like it shuts everything else down, if it really is that bright in that size.

Wayne from Electrolumens is going to send me an EDC-MCE for testing. I will have the real Out The Front lumens for you soon. My guess is in 2 weeks.

Due to the massive heatsink he uses I honestly think it will make at least 500 OTF, but we will have to wait and hope for more.:twothumbs

easilyled

Flashaholic
The XTAR SSCP7 is very compact and quite reasonably priced if that is an important consideration to you.

I would recommend Lighthound if you are thinking of buying one as I think their QC is probably superior to that of the Chinese wholesale online stores.

TriChrome

Enlightened
Are you looking for a light for flood or throw? Many of the large die LED's, at very high lumens, with smallish P60 size reflectors are very floody. My own SST-50 P60 drop-in is 500 lumens OTF (ok, maybe 470 officially according to MrGMan), and to most people it's not that impressive because the light is spread out over a much larger area than a light designed for throw.

My 220 lumen NiteCore SR3 for example throws better than the 500 lumen SST-50 drop-in. It's then all about the lux and not the lumens if you're looking for throw.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you test can you compare Aw 18650 cell vs IMR to see if there is a visable difference.
That would be very interesting.

Wayne from Electrolumens is going to send me an EDC-MCE for testing. I will have the real Out The Front lumens for you soon. My guess is in 2 weeks.

Due to the massive heatsink he uses I honestly think it will make at least 500 OTF, but we will have to wait and hope for more.:twothumbs

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you test can you compare Aw 18650 cell vs IMR to see if there is a visable difference.
That would be very interesting.

That is exactly what I was thinking too. IMR VS. AW 2600mah:popcorn:

I did test the DeCree XP-G and it made no difference whether it was the IMR or the AW 2600mAh, but this is due to the low 1.2A current.

bigC

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Xtar Cree MC-E 18650 flashlight (advertised at 400+ lumens) is on clearance at Lighthound.com for $46.49. That may be your best bet for decent quality, size, and brightness at the lowest cost.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly reccomend the Lumapower VX Ultra. without a doubt it has the perfect combo of spot and flood. I've been completely dissapointed by every P60 450-500 lumen light I've tried. The reflector is simply too small to properly throw any of the large die LED's. I sold my Malkoff MCE and M60's after this light. Sold my Lumapower MRV SK Ultra also. It's twice the size, yet the little D-Mini VX Ultra has a superior beam. If you want more sidespill get the new D-Mini-EX with the MCE.

From what I read the VX Ultra is around 450 OTF. The -EX is roughly 400 OTF. It's hard to see much difference in total ouput, but the MCE is a lot warmer than the SST-50

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
The Xtar Cree MC-E 18650 flashlight (advertised at 400+ lumens) is on clearance at Lighthound.com for $46.49. That may be your best bet for decent quality, size, and brightness at the lowest cost.

Just a litte warning though - it's VERY bright for its size and has a very nice beam. I'll be darned if I can see ANY dark spot in the center like my MG PLI has...BUT...to change modes you've got to cycle through each and one of them is STROBE. If this light had no strobe I'd buy another for me and a couple for gifts. What a nice beam on my IMR 18650 though.

Dole

Newly Enlightened
I highly reccomend the Lumapower VX Ultra. without a doubt it has the perfect combo of spot and flood. I've been completely dissapointed by every P60 450-500 lumen light I've tried. The reflector is simply too small to properly throw any of the large die LED's. I sold my Malkoff MCE and M60's after this light. Sold my Lumapower MRV SK Ultra also. It's twice the size, yet the little D-Mini VX Ultra has a superior beam. If you want more sidespill get the new D-Mini-EX with the MCE.

From what I read the VX Ultra is around 450 OTF. The -EX is roughly 400 OTF. It's hard to see much difference in total ouput, but the MCE is a lot warmer than the SST-50

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how it would compete with the Dereelight CL1H MC-E?

I've heard that the Dereelight drop-ins are pretty good with throw. However, I don't know if that applies to the MC-E P60 module

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how it would compete with the Dereelight CL1H MC-E?

I've heard that the Dereelight drop-ins are pretty good with throw. However, I don't know if that applies to the MC-E P60 module

All the MC-E pills are going to be more floody than the newer SST-50's. I've given up on throw from a P60 reflector with a big die LED. I own both the Lumapower D-mini's....-EX and -VX Ultra. I just come from a long walk with one in each hand....The -EX is within 95% of the -VX in throw, but the -EX (MC-E) has a 1.75" diameter body, and the -VX (SST 50) is only 1.45". My prior favorite light was the Malkoff M60 in a G2Z host. I now carry the -VX. I like being able to lock it into single mode for tactical carry. Multi-mode is a deal breaker for me. I want it to come on now, and high right now. If I need endurance then I can unlock it easily for lower settings.

The Dereelights are good with throw...but they have a 1.9" diameter head too. The new SST-50 pills in a DBS head, and the "light" Orange Peel reflector is going to be the hot poop I believe. Waiting on my L. OP reflector to arrive along with a Nailbender SST-50 pill for it now.

The CL1H with MC-E has got to be a flood lamp. I see no way around it.

One of my prior Lumapower's was an MRV SK Ultra with MC-E. It has a 1.77" dia. head IIRC. It has no hot spot to speak of. The D-Mini-EX (MC-E) blows it away in throw. The -EX is a good room sweeper also. Very wide spill. Too much for me though. I like to be behind the light. Just too much illumination around me.

The reason I liked the Malkoff M60 so much was it had a well defined hot spot, with a wider spread of strong light around the center, finished off with weak spill out the side. The -VX is the same type of beam, only the hot spot is as big as the M60 center spread.
The -VX is also easily caried in a front jeans pocket with the 16340 tube installed. (with an IMR 16340)

Last edited: