Need Help!! computer techies required!!

daimleramg

Banned
Ok so I recently bought a docking station for my laptop, thermaltake's blacx duet(using esata cables). When I plug in hard drive 1, I can see my internal hard drives and hard drive 1. Now when I plug in the second hard drive it doesnt detect it, so I remove hard drive 1 and plug in hard drive 2 and it detects hard drive 2. So I know both hard drives are working just not both at the same time which it should. I went into my BIOS and under advanced there is no AHCI, this is a very new laptop I just bought 50 days ago and has the Intel PM55 motherboard. My laptop is the Asus G51JA1 so it does support port multiplier, so I dont know what else is missing. One more fact I dont know iif this is an issue both hard drives are made by seagate but one of them has a sata ncq interface and the other is sata 3Gb/s.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possible to plug both drives directly into the laptop and see if they work?

Just went through this with a bunch of new HP docking stations and the problem was the bricks weren't supplying enough current. This is a common but little known problem with docks.

daimleramg

Banned
Possible to plug both drives directly into the laptop and see if they work?

Just went through this with a bunch of new HP docking stations and the problem was the bricks weren't supplying enough current. This is a common but little known problem with docks.

They both work, I have tested them both one at a time. The problem I have is getting them to work both at the same time. I already have two 2.5" hard drives in my laptop, I'm trying to use another two in a external docking station. My docking station has a power cord that plugs into the wall, so it should get enough power. It says 120-240V 3A.

jugornot

Newly Enlightened
Which external hd dock are you using? Some only support 1 drive at a time. Is it the 1x2.5 and 1x3.5? Check the external dock specs.

RoBeacon

Enlightened
Plug in the hard drive with the esata Right click my computer click on manage then go to the device manager. In the box on the right, Right click the computer icon at the very top and click scan for hardware changes it should see the hard drive. I've had problems with Esata plug not being directly plug N play.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If both hard drive got the same letter (f: ), it will not work at the same time, you have to change the letter to a diffrent letter for it to work at the same time.

daimleramg

Banned
Hey guys,

Thanks for your suggestions, I called up Asus Tech support and asked them if my esata portcan handle 2 hard drives and they said no. So I used the USB 2.0 cables and voila... 2 external hard drives. So now I know its my esata port. So it looks like I need a new docking station that has USB 3.0(coming out very soon) and an expresscard adapter for USB 3.0 because USB 2.0 is too slow for me.