M20 Warrior Vs. PD30 R4 and a mystery light

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Figured it was time to replace my M20 so after a bit of work I managed to find a PD30 X-PG. I have to say the PD30 is pretty disappointing, for a claimed 265 lumen's it falls short of the M20, spill is about the same, throw is noticeably less. it'll be a keeper due to it's size though.
A day or two ago I stopped off at a hardware store to get the rest of the family new lights too, stumbled across this little gem, they were sitting in a box, lights had no packaging and a price tag of $7. It has the same lens system as my E1L, TIR I think it's called. The only writing on the light says "Lightmates".
This $7 light blows away both my M20 Warrior Premium as well as the PD30 in throw, there is minimal spill but the light is just amazing as a thrower, not bad for $7 including Duracell batteries, so I bought them all.
My PD30 has a donut hole, I don't know if I set myself up for disappointment trying to replace that M20, but that new LED was certainly a let down.
Here is a picture of the three, the Lightmate in the middle.

*EDIT* Um, I just did a search and found a million threads about Lightmates, mostly focusable ones came up, this one does not focus. My gripe about this $7 light eating up my $100+ lights still stands though.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNTEuanBn.jpg

Last edited:

Xak

Enlightened
do they all have the same battery configuration? we need more info.

Why do you feel the need to replace your M20? I LOVE mine. ..both of them! ; )

Xak

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm not jumping on these new X-PGs quite yet. I hear they are somewhat green and aren't noticeably brighter compared to the R2's. They are also inherently more floody and more difficult to turn into throwers. I hear they run longer, but my M20s and Quarks run seemingly forever. The lights I have are fantastic, and until something comes out that noticeably edges them out I won't be interested.

There is a new AAA keychain light with X-PG I may get soon, though. Only because I don't have a keychain light and the extra efficiency may be noticeable when powered by a AAA battery.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
*EDIT* Um, I just did a search and found a million threads about Lightmates, mostly focusable ones came up, this one does not focus. My gripe about this $7 light eating up my $100+ lights still stands though.

Give it some time, and let's see how that $7 flashlight performs during the long haul. Bright & cheap is the easiest trick to pull off when it comes to lights. I'm honestly not surprised that it outperformed both of your more expensive lights, when it comes to output. Bright, cheap, and quality is a hat-trick that no one can pull off.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give it some time, and let's see how that $7 flashlight performs during the long haul. Bright & cheap is the easiest trick to pull off when it comes to lights. I'm honestly not surprised that it outperformed both of your more expensive lights, when it comes to output. Bright, cheap, and quality is a hat-trick that no one can pull off.

I suspect they will be lost before they break, they are for the kids. For that purpose they have a significant value to me, lost? No problem, grab another one.
I have three kids under 7, "value" has a lot of meanings to me.:)

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput
read a thread and seen a youtube vid comparing the 3 pd30's the pd30q5, r2 and the xpg throw and spill varied between them I think the xpg had the least range but better spill and as everyone on here seems to be throw obssed it seems the q5 or r2 would have beenbe a better option I would like a m20 as well nearly got one instead of my pd30q5 but on beam shots it seemed to have the same if not similar throw but a bigger hot spot and beter spill, I hate torches that have no spill its like following a bouncing ball when walking and hard to see whats around you.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
The spill on the XPG is very similar to the Olight, I have had a lot of lights move in to my house, that Olight is without doubt the most versatile.
I ordered a new light because my Olight was out for repair after a severe beating, kinda regret it though after seeing this Fenix try to perform to the standards that I have set for a $100 light. Seems these days you can get a pretty decent light around the 250 Lumen mark for that price. I wish I had looked closer at the Quarks.
For what I needed the PD30 is perfect, it is today's version of the L4 Lumimax. I had just expected a bit more out of it.

Import Junky

Newly Enlightened
I bought the PD30R2, and love its throw. It will throw a beam just as far as the tk30, Just not as much light is out there. it destroys my p2d and beats my ld20. Its a little better than my pre ordered TA21, and about on Par with my new TA21(for some reason the new TA21 still has good spill, but a tighter hot spot).

Not sure if that helps much.. but from what i read for throw the R2 was the way to go.

Last edited:

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
read a thread and seen a youtube vid comparing the 3 pd30's the pd30q5, r2 and the xpg throw and spill varied between them I think the xpg had the least range but better spill and as everyone on here seems to be throw obssed it seems the q5 or r2 would have beenbe a better option I would like a m20 as well nearly got one instead of my pd30q5 but on beam shots it seemed to have the same if not similar throw but a bigger hot spot and beter spill, I hate torches that have no spill its like following a bouncing ball when walking and hard to see whats around you.

Keyboards are very cheap now. You should replace yours since the punctuation on yours seams to be broken.
I'm exhausted after reading that.

polkiuj

Enlightened
Hey guys, I just wanna say something about these amazing new LEDs. The X-PG.

It is by far the awesomest things a small flashlight can ask for.

I've recently modded my Fenix LD10 with one of these babies, the X-PG R5 and the brightness boost of this LED is scary to say the least.

It now beats my Eagletac T10LC2 (2 x AW RCR123) on ceiling bounce when the battery is fresh, which was tested by MrGman to be over 250 lumens. I'd rate my LD10 more than 250 lumens out the front on freshly charged AW 14500.

It is now sitting inside an OSRAM GD optic. Also added a resistor to my tailcap and now its a twistie with 4 modes and an extremely unique UI.

Modes: Low, Max, SOS, Strobe.

Why is it so excellent? The lumen boost is incredible. The X-RE with a new 14500 falls far behind my T10LC2 but this X-PG with an extremely worn 14500 (charges to only 4.12V) kicks it's butt. More amazingly is the heat it produces is far less than an X-RE. I can now use it prolonged on max while holding it. (Ps. I burned my X-RE even with super careful 14500 usage) So much for Fenix's heatsinking, lol.

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput
Painful Chafe try reading in your head and not out aloud:nana::laughing::nana: :tinfoil:
Punctuation and spelling are not my strong points!:whistle:

Import Junky I've got the PD30q5 (texured reflector) and a TK30 is the R2 realy that good my pd30 will light out to about 100m were as my Tk30 will go beyond 200m (ie seeing trees or road or pathways)but are really only usefull at half that (ie seeing the diffrence between a dog and a fox)
I take it that the XP-G has a bigger hotspot and less throw than the earlyer models.