Standard Q5 vs WW?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am about to pull the trigger on a new light(RC-C6 II from shiningbeam) and I just can't decide which tint to get. What are peoples thoughts on these two different tints in general?

On the one hand, I've never had a problem with cool white and I like the brightness, but on the other hand I've never owned a WW and I am curious.
What to do, what to do. Unfortunately I can't just buy both, since I know someone will suggest that. :)

ejot

Enlightened
Neither Q5 nor WW are actually XR-E chromaticity regions. Q5 if the flux bin of cooler emitter offered; the tint is WC. WW appears to be part of the model number for the warmer version offered. The flux bin for that is Q3 and the tint is 5C.

With that technicality are out of the way, I say give the warmer emitter a try if you've never done so before.

Last edited:

wingnut86

Banned
Try the Warm White one.

I used to think cool white was just right...Until I tried a Neutral white, then warm white. For use outdoors it is so much nicer to actually see things close to what they actually are and not washed out.

You won't be disappointed in the WW version! And if it is a single mode, it may very well be brighter than the two mode Q5, or at least on par. My RC-N3 WW is just as bright, if not brighter than my RC-C6 II Q5 via ceiling bounce and my eyes...

Watch out for the warm led bug! It bites and doesn't let go!!

kavvika

Enlightened
A 5C tint would actually be neutral, but is commonly referred to as warm white. That said, I recommend the WW version. I prefer a superior tint to only a few additional lumens. Neutral tints look excellent outdoors: grass is much greener and tree trunks look brown instead of grey.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pulled the trigger on the warm white and got an extension tube so I can use it with both cr123's and AA's, yay!

Thanks for all the input!

I'm thinking (hoping) that the neutral tint will work especially well with this light because I found that the q5 version had the tiniest bit of a weird tint, due to the optic I think. I'm hoping this especially nice tint will counter that a bit. Not that it was terrible or anything but to nitpick.

Last edited:

wingnut86

Banned
Good Choice!!

The extension tubes look damn sexy on the RC-C6! Much better than on the RC-N3, and the grip it gives is outstanding. Just wish I could trade mine in for the WW!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah Bryan is awesome. I already have an rc-n3 I could have cannibalized, but for 3.50 I figured why not get my rc-c6 its own extension tube.

sabre7

Enlightened
Aren't Q5s more efficient than the Q3s? If so wouldn't the Q5 have longer run times?

kavvika

Enlightened
Same driver, so a Q5 would only give you more lumens compared to a Q3. Runtime would be unchanged given equal vF's.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same driver, so a Q5 would only give you more lumens compared to a Q3. Runtime would be unchanged given equal vF's.

Woudl you hazard a guess as to the difference in lumens? People seem to have varying thoughts on the matter.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just received my new romisen rc-c6 ww flashlight today and I am thrilled. Color is perfect, the flood is like a nohs with a perfect circle of white sans hotspot, the aspheric throws well, and on my imr rcr123 it is amazingly bright.
The only drawback is I can't tell high from medium.
At this price it is the most bang for the buck I've yet to see. Its even cool looking!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woudl you hazard a guess as to the difference in lumens? People seem to have varying thoughts on the matter.

I wouldnt want to guess as i am not qualified to, but i just went over to shiningbeam and i saw the MG RX-1 MC-E and it has 2 versions, a 'white' and a 'warm white', the difference as advertised is 100 lumens. 700 for the normal, 600 for the warm white.

I couldnt resist and popped for the warm white version.