Power outage

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power is out:sigh:, I may freeze,:eek: yet with a few AA batts & LEDs I do have light around the house.:thumbsup:

DaveG

Enlightened
Hang in there,no light is one thing,no heat quite another.Good luck.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Enjoy your journey to the frontier days, tsask. Just get to work with that snow shovel and you won't freeze.

Geoff

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our power is out as well and has been for almost 12 hours. They don't expect power to be restored until late Sunday night. I've been using my SF Saint Minimus, T1A, and E1B (w/E2D tailcap) for ceiling bouncing. :D

We are in the Pittsburgh area and so far, have received around 18" of snow and it is still coming down. :eek: For our area, this is a crap load of snow!

ragweed

Enlightened
I wish you guy's well. I know your stocked up for lights so lighting should not be a problem. Getting heat is another matter. I am lucky to have a wood burning stove. Although, it will not heat the entire house.

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious, how are you posting online? Are you posting through your cell phone?
I suppose you could use your laptop with your cell phone tethered?
Hang in there and stay warm!

Lisa

netprince

Enlightened
I'm curious, how are you posting online? Are you posting through your cell phone?

Lisa

I dont know how they are online with no power, but I have tested here that my cablemodem still has service when the power is out. I think its because they also provide phone service, so all the upstream equipment is battery backed. I built a small battery backup (runs on 8AA) for my router and cable modem, so I can just flip the switch and my cablemodem and wifi come online when the power is out... :D

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
I built a small battery backup (runs on 8AA) for my router and cable modem, so I can just flip the switch and my cablemodem and wifi come online when the power is out... :D

Wow! That little backup system sounds great. I do remember now that my phone does work when the power is out, but it's so rare here in So. Calif. that I had forgotten.

SoCalMan

Newly Enlightened

Lisa

Maybe he has a UPS and posted before the battery ran out. :shrug:

Dez

Newly Enlightened
Just wonder, I read about power outages now and then from the states. I live in Sweden and I can remember one time we had that, and it was just for a few hours. One time in 30 years.
Is it common in the states? Why so?

SoCalMan

Newly Enlightened
Just wonder, I read about power outages now and then from the states. I live in Sweden and I can remember one time we had that, and it was just for a few hours. One time in 30 years.
Is it common in the states? Why so?

Lightning, downed power lines, just to name a few.

jchoo

Enlightened
It's because we have old infrastructure and above ground power lines. When combined with large storms that bring lots of wind and freezing rain (weighing down the power lines).

flasherByNight

Enlightened
I dont know how they are online with no power, but I have tested here that my cablemodem still has service when the power is out. I think its because they also provide phone service, so all the upstream equipment is battery backed. I built a small battery backup (runs on 8AA) for my router and cable modem, so I can just flip the switch and my cablemodem and wifi come online when the power is out... :D

how long does that last with 8AA?

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
You guys are lucky! I'm in a fairly modern area in the UK and I've not had a single power outage since getting "into" lights seriously.

I keep wishing for an excuse for trying some lights out over a nice long power cut!

flasherByNight

Enlightened
You guys are lucky! I'm in a fairly modern area in the UK and I've not had a single power outage since getting "into" lights seriously.

I keep wishing for an excuse for trying some lights out over a nice long power cut!

pop your main circuit breaker, and you too can join in on the fun! :grin2: