Retention System

capt512

Newly Enlightened
Hello Everyone,

Let me start off by saying that I work in plain clothes security, to help explain my needs.

So long story short, I recently carried a Nitecore Extreme as my EDC, including at work. I carried the Nitecore on my belt (2" duty type belt, so its pretty thick and sturdy). On one of my apprehensions however I was in chase of someone and the light caught on a corner of my jacket and went flying. I later found out that a lovely 'citizen' picked it up and took it with them.

So since then I have been on a quest to find a better more secure way to retain the light, but without looking obvious. I recently purchased a Gemtech retention lanyard hoping that would work, and still give me quick access when needed, however I found it to be WAY to large to work, as the coils alone are 1" in diameter and like 8" long, so even with a jacket I have a huge lanyard thing sticking out.
http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=605

So I'm looking for either another option for a retention lanyard, preferably something 1-2 inches long when relaxed that can go on a belt. Needs to either have a coiled section to allow me to bring it up while attached and/or a quick detach clip so I can remove it from the retention when needed.

I realize this is probably hard to find, so I would also be willing to use a holster of some type that would secure it, but also be discreetish, had thought of something like a baton case, etc but don't really want to have that showing since I'm plain clothes.

Let me know any suggestions you have...

Thanks!

Jon

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry to hear about your loss, i recently got myself a Quark Mini 123 warm white / neutral white (or whatever they call it now) and it doesn't come with a clip at all. I carry it clipped to my keys but can foresee that there would be occasions when i don't carry keys and wanted a way to have it attached to something.

I came across this P-7 suspension clip that would allow you to clip it to your pocket for discreet carry but am not sure if that works for you.

A small bright light would be the Nitecore EX10 running on an RCR123, it's extremely bright for its size and i have no issues accessing the light very quickly when its clipped to my pocket. I have both the EX10 R2 and the EX10 GDP and both are darn bright on RCR123s with the R2 having slightly better throw and a brighter hotspot.

Try clipping it into your trouser pocket instead of the belt, less chance of it getting hung up on something, alternatively a neck lanyard with the light inside your shirt? Quark makes a very nice lanyard, its available from 4sevens (use the "CPF8" code for discount when checking out)

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
These from "Key-Bak" will hold your light.
S-48K (bottom) is Normal and on Top is Super Duty Model ..s48-sdk

S48-LEK is for 2" duty belts

They really hold a lot of weight.

But BEWARE .... The functional design of these is such that they can ONLY be worn on your RIGHT side . If you intend/or need to wear it on your LEFT side .. it wont work for you. If you carry a gun on your right side - you'd want the light on your left side (it won't work that way) . (right hand has to be free for gun)
But if you're a Left-handed gun user - it will work great !

Last edited: