Broke the lens on my SC30! Need help!!!

rhpdchief

Newly Enlightened
I broke the lens on my new brand new Zebralight SC30 yesterday. I have no idea how I did it. I pulled it out of my pocket and saw that the center of the lens looked like it had been shot by a bb or pellet. There was a complete hole in the center of the lens and spider cracks going out in 360 degrees towards the bezel. Glass dust was falling into the reflector so I removed the remaining pieces as best as I could and this is the result. The light still works properly and the reflector looks to be okay.

IMG_0066.jpg

I have emailled Zebralight's customer service but since its the weekend I've not heard anything back from them. Does anyone know how the bezel ring is attached and if it can be removed? Also, does anyone know the dimensions for this lens? I'd like to just order a new lens and replace it myself since this is probably not covered under warranty.
I have no idea how this happened. The light was not dropped and wasn't struck by anything to my knowledge. it was perfect when I got it and it certainly broke while I was carrying it as I found small pieces of glass inside my pocket. Just don't know how I did it! :shakehead

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did your battery vent - causing internal pressure to break it ?

Did you test the battery ?
Nah, I don't think the glass would be the first thing to go upon venting. The switch cap would have gone first...

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well .....

Maybe it's a fit issue then ....

Lens size the wrong diameter ....

Over tightened head shatters lens ?

Something ZebraLight should certainly investigate .

rhpdchief

Newly Enlightened
The battery is fine. I am wondering though about the pressure it physically creates when the tailcap is tightened. I was using an AW protected rcr and I had been using the tailcap as a lockout since the switch is easy to press. There is an oring between the reflector and lens but there is not an oring between the lens and bezel ring.
I really have no idea how this happened so those using protected rcr's may want to be careful. Until the bezel ring can be removed I won't be able to tell if there is a sharp spot or something unusual going on there.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Zebralight H60's lens is cracked. I'm wondering if they have the lenses mounted too tight in the housing and when the metal expands from heat, etc, it cracks the lens. Could be a design flaw?

rhpdchief

Newly Enlightened
I don't know Wade. Sounds as possible as anything else right now. I'm certainly not trying to say that there was ever anything wrong with the light but I can't figure out how it happened.
I have since removed the tailcap oring just to see how much pressure it takes to tighten the tail with an rcr and it seems pretty mild. I don't think battery pressure caused the problem.
For the record the light was loose in my right front pocket. There was nothing else in the pocket. I was pretty busy out in my yard getting things ready for the blizzard. The lens was fine when it went in my pocket and broken when it came out an hour or so later. I can't recall anything happening that could have caused this.
In all liklihood I hit it just right with something while it was in my pocket. The thing I need to know is how to replace that lens and what size lens to order.
I really like this light and have already ordered another one. Still, I'd like to get this one fixed and have a spare.

rhpdchief

Newly Enlightened
Already tried Cuso. I'm sure they'll get back to me after the weekend. Problem is that I'm snowed in and don't have anything to do but stare at the business end of this flashlight and wonder what the hell happend. Oh, and wonder when the post office will be able to get to my house out here in Bumble to deliver my replacement! Haven't seen a snowplow in over 24 hours!

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way the bezels are installed (on all zebras) is a stainless ring press fitted into the aluminum. Obviously tolerances are tighter - even expansion and contraction will affect everything. I hope the designer did his math.

rhpdchief

Newly Enlightened
All's well that ends well...more or less...armed with the above info from 4Sevens I carefully pried out the retaining ring, cleaned out the dust, and replaced the lens with one from a Proton Pro. It appears to be the right size, was easy to remove, and I can order a replacement lens for that. I couldn't get the retaining ring back in totally flush but its very close. I didn't want to apply too much pressure and break it again. There looks to be solid contact and some compression on the oring so I stopped there. I don't want to submerge the thing but it is protected from dust and dirt and will make a decent spare. Thanks for the info David. :thumbsup:

arcel1t

Newly Enlightened
My Zebralight H60's lens is cracked. I'm wondering if they have the lenses mounted too tight in the housing and when the metal expands from heat, etc, it cracks the lens. Could be a design flaw?

I checked my H60 and yes it has a cracked lens :shrug:.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i wonder how cold it was outside? i know tempered glass can have issues with rapid temperature change...or maybe its an airtight seal and taking the light inside caused the air to expand behind the lens blowing it out? i know we had a vehicle on base last year in GA where the windshield blew out from sitting in the parkin lot all day...i know thats a bit more extreme, but possibly the same principle? i blew up a coffee pot by washing it out with cold water after pouring out the last hot cup...glass is funny that way something sciencey or physicsy should explain it...a little wiggle room goes a long way