what's the lamp life for flourescent tubes?

Azreal911

Enlightened
what\'s the lamp life for flourescent tubes?

hmmm i got a question guys what's the lamp life anyways for these flourescent tubes? i heard its pretty long so there's not much fear of it dying in like 20 hrs "ala incandescents". that's the main property that i like about it. I'm really interested in getting the coleman remote control lantern it looks night but then at the store they also have this coleman northstar lantern for the same price looks nicer but the runtimes are shorter than the remote control one around 28 hrs low and 13 hrs high. must be running a higher wattage tube in there! which would you guys get? oh and i read the remote control one runs a 9watt tube. how many lumens do those suckers usually give out or what's the equivalent wattage bulb for a incandescent with the same light output. i seem to be asking alot here. please bear with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Re: what\'s the lamp life for flourescent tubes?

Hummm, I have both the 13w and the 9w remote ones. The 9w runs longer for sure, but is slightly dimmer. I would choose the 9w with the remote. I leave it hanging in and can just turn it on and off without getting up to do it.

As far as lamp life, these are much better then the older ones I have had. They aren't going to last to long, I would guess 100-200 hours. The biggest thing is if they start to dim, change the batteries that really kills the lamps. I am running NiMH's in mine so it isn't a big deal. I just charge them once a week no matter what, I usually get about 10 hours in the 9w on a set of NiMH 7500, I would guess alkaline would be 20?

I have about 10 different CF and FL lantern these two are by far the brightest. The 13w is very close to what a 13w 120v CF is and the 9w is about the same as a 9w CF, if that helps at all. I find the 9w to be more then enough for general lighting in a large room.

Azreal911

Enlightened
Re: what\'s the lamp life for flourescent tubes?

thanks that was very informative, i'm thinking of going for the remote controlled one now. 9w for a campsite would be good enough to goof around in and the remote control has a really good "geek factor" to show off to my friends!