Has anyone replaced the Fenix L2D rubber boot??

COAST

Enlightened
Hey, i was switching the rubber boot the other day and i took it off, but i couldnt put it back on.... can someone please help me??

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have. What do you need to know?

How did the boot come off?

Did you use needle nose pliers to take the retaining ring off?

Here is mine.
light004.jpg

carrot

Flashaholic
You need to take off the retaining ring from the switch, and take out the entire internals of the tailcap to remove the boot. To replace it just jam the new one in there and reinstall the switch and retaining ring.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if your L2D retaining ring is glued in or not but surprisingly mine was so I had to put the tailcap in two freezer bags and boil it. I was surprised because the newer Fenix tailcaps are glued but the older models wasn't.

hazna

Enlightened
Not sure if your L2D retaining ring is glued in or not but surprisingly mine was so I had to put the tailcap in two freezer bags and boil it. I was surprised because the newer Fenix tailcaps are glued but the older models wasn't.

how does that work? Won't the freezer bags melt when you boil it?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
how does that work? Won't the freezer bags melt when you boil it?

I have boiled I few different flashlight parts like this and the bag has never melted but you should have seen the look on my wife's face. She actually thought I was cooking for once when she first saw it but when she seen what I was actually doing I got the same "weirdo" look I have seen many times before. :grin2:

carrot

Flashaholic
You have to be careful which plastic bags you buy, but Ziploc brand "freezer" bags actually will not melt. Others may or may not provide the same result but with Ziploc their freezer bags definitely will not.

Sometimes you need to boil parts in order to break the Loctite. Other times there is no Loc-tite or brute force will break it.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have. What do you need to know?

How did the boot come off?

Did you use needle nose pliers to take the retaining ring off?

Here is mine.
light004.jpg

Quark boot fits L2D? That's perfect, I was going to order the boot kit for my Quark and my L2D needs a new boot too.