Momentary On. Ra Clicky

XD9

Enlightened
I have a Costume High CRI Light. I order the Executive... One thing I notice is that there is no momentary on. How can I enable momentary on in the Executive?

Thanks!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
While the subject of momentary mode is up for discussion I wonder if any can tell me how to set the brightness for it? I've been able to easily adjust the other 3 modes, but not the momentary high brightness setting which I'd like to dial back either one or two levels.

CLBME

Enlightened
While the subject of momentary mode is up for discussion I wonder if any can tell me how to set the brightness for it? I've been able to easily adjust the other 3 modes, but not the momentary high brightness setting which I'd like to dial back either one or two levels.

See Henry's post below: #11 for clarification and the proper way to customize and Moonshadow's #9 too.

That's a good question Kaichu.....I hadn't thought about it. I went back to the manual and read it again. If you still have yours page 11 #13 references the four levels and A being the press and hold setting- have you tried that one? You mentioned getting the other three. Obviously you cannot get the press-hold to "stay" in A to customize but you can access it from another level. I haven't tried with my clicky so I may be off the mark I'm afraid. I see if I can do it later. Not sure I made sense here thinking aloud.....:thinking:

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Well after lots of reading I realized I've been calling the Forced mode Momentary. Now have Momentary enabled, but can't figure out how to change the brightness of either Forced or Momentary, so I'll keep after it!

blub

Enlightened
Well after lots of reading I realized I've been calling the Forced mode Momentary. Now have Momentary enabled, but can't figure out how to change the brightness of either Forced or Momentary, so I'll keep after it!

I've given you one month to figure it out for me.:grin2: Did you do it yet?

etherealshade

Enlightened
It's not a perfect solution, but if you turn off the Force Setting (option 1), then whatever level the light is in when you turn it off will become the new momentary setting. When the light is on, a press-hold will still give you a burst of 100% intensity. You do have to remember to turn the light off at whatever level you wish to use for momentary, but I've found it becomes habitual fairly quickly. :twothumbs

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Might be worth downloading the latest version of the Clicky Users Guide. Force Setting is now called Turn On Preset, which makes a little more sense.

The way to understand momentary on is that when you press-hold from off, the light will come on at whatever level as it would have done if you had simply clicked to switch on. This will either be your selected preset level (if you have Turn On Preset enabled) or at the last level used if T-O-P is disabled.

If you enable T-O-P you can choose any of the four levels as your preset level, and this will also be your momentary level. Additionally, Click-PH from off will give you momentary operation at the Primary setting. This means that you can have direct access to two momentary settings if you want.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Kaichu Dento, CLBME,

I think there is confusion between momentary from off and the momentary use of preset level A. They are very different. Momentary from off is a feature that can be turned on and off in the option menu and only affects what the light does when it is turned off.

When the flashlight is turned off and the momentary feature (option) is disabled (off), a press of the button for any length of time will turn the light on and leave it on when the button is released. However, when the momentary feature is enabled (on), a long press of the button - over 1/3 of a second - causes the button to act in a momentary fashion. That is, when the button is released after being pressed for over 1/3 second, the light turns off. Nothing more and nothing less. Remember: the momentary feature only affects how the light reacts when it is being turned on. Once the light has been turned on (with the button released) it has no further affect.

The momentary use of preset level A (High on the executive models) - press and hold when the light is turned on - allows you quick momentary access to preset level A from any other preset level. Release the button and you return to whatever preset level you were using before you pressed the button. The action always happens and is not affected by the setting of the momentary feature discussed above.

Preset level A can be selected ("latched" - i.e., made to stay on) by a click, press-hold-release. See page 3 of your manual. If you want to modify preset level A, you must start by selecting it with the click, press-hold-release command before you select a new brightness level from the Brightness menu. In a similar fashion, if you want the select preset level A as the default turn on level, you must first select it with the click, press-hold-release command before selecting the Turn On Preset option (i.e., the forced turn on setting) in the Option menu.

MoonShadow has it correct. My post is just a bit more detailed.

Henry.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Might be worth downloading the latest version of the Clicky Users Guide. Force Setting is now called Turn On Preset, which makes a little more sense.

The way to understand momentary on is that when you press-hold from off, the light will come on at whatever level as it would have done if you had simply clicked to switch on. This will either be your selected preset level (if you have Turn On Preset enabled) or at the last level used if T-O-P is disabled.

If you enable T-O-P you can choose any of the four levels as your preset level, and this will also be your momentary level. Additionally, Click-PH from off will give you momentary operation at the Primary setting. This means that you can have direct access to two momentary settings if you want.
Kaichu Dento, CLBME,

I think there is confusion between momentary from off and the momentary use of preset level A. They are very different. Momentary from off is a feature that can be turned on and off in the option menu and only affects what the light does when it is turned off.

When the flashlight is turned off and the momentary feature (option) is disabled (off), a press of the button for any length of time will turn the light on and leave it on when the button is released. However, when the momentary feature is enabled (on), a long press of the button - over 1/3 of a second - causes the button to act in a momentary fashion. That is, when the button is released after being pressed for over 1/3 second, the light turns off. Nothing more and nothing less. Remember: the momentary feature only affects how the light reacts when it is being turned on. Once the light has been turned on (with the button released) it has no further affect.

The momentary use of preset level A (High on the executive models) - press and hold when the light is turned on - allows you quick momentary access to preset level A from any other preset level. Release the button and you return to whatever preset level you were using before you pressed the button. The action always happens and is not affected by the setting of the momentary feature discussed above.

Preset level A can be selected ("latched" - i.e., made to stay on) by a click, press-hold-release. See page 3 of your manual. If you want to modify preset level A, you must start by selecting it with the click, press-hold-release command before you select a new brightness level from the Brightness menu. In a similar fashion, if you want the select preset level A as the default turn on level, you must first select it with the click, press-hold-release command before selecting the Turn On Preset option (i.e., the forced turn on setting) in the Option menu.

Henry.
Thanks for both of these informative posts and I finally understand the UI enough to program it to my liking!

Now that I know how to drop the burst setting I no longer care to do so! The reason I mainly wanted to have a lower setting was based on battery life from my 120P and I just thought these things went through batteries quickly as a matter of course.

The Ra Clicky has confirmed for that that is not the case and I've done more high beam usage with my Clicky than probably any other light I've owned, because high is what you use when your using it in lieu of headlights!

Great lights and all hats off to Henry!

CLBME

Enlightened
Thank you Henry for taking the time to clarify for me.

Kaichu Dento, CLBME,

Henry.