bike flashlight needed

bigsteve

Newly Enlightened
I want a nice small bright light for my push bike and was thinking about a nitecore extreme type of light and i want about 230 lumens and maybe use one rechargable i can use in my ultrafire wf193 and a good hadlebar mount and any help welcome thanks :twothumbs

Last edited:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
mg pli sst-50. shiningbeam.com will have em sometime in march.
great company to deal with and bryan is a member here. :thumbsup:
i have the older mg pli with an mc-e and it puts out alot of light, alot of flood and some nice throw too.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there, i just got a pack of the twofish lockblocks for my bike, they work great.

If you can get the MG PLI MC-E lights from shiningbeam, those make great bike lights, good flood so you can see the road. I managed to snag the last warm tinted MC-E and intend to use that on one handle bar and my Fenix TA30 on the other handle bar for more throw.

The 3rd lock block may or may not be used on my seat post, pointing backwards with my Jetbeam on slow strobe (with red cellophane paper rubberbanded over the bezel)

photonstorm

Newly Enlightened
Minamalist look

If you're looking for a clean low profile integrated look than I would go with the dkg mount and the small bright flashlight of your choice.
It's a little more expensive than the lockblocks but it also more secure as you need an allen key to remove it. There is very little chance vibrations from riding will loosen the mount or light.

http://www.dkg-cnc.com/maglite.html

I use the Quark MiNi 123 or AA with the above mount but I'm sure the Nitecore will also fit. Its also handy to keep spare batteries on hand to extend run time. The beam is bright and floody. You can always get two mounts and use diff flashlight with diff beam patterns to achieve your degree of throw and/or flood.

LeifUK

Enlightened
You can get the Fenix and TwoFish mounts from Deal Extreme at much lower prices (compared to UK prices anyway). The Fenix mount is quite good, but a pain to remove the light, which you will want to do when you lock the bike to something in a place accessible to the general public.

Something such as the Quark AA2 is small, well made, 200+ lumens OTF, and inexpensive. And it does not die suddenly. There is a graceful 5 minute wheeze, giving you time to stop and replace the batteries.

Something tells me that if you encountered a lion, you would stick your head in its mouth for fun. :huh:

bigsteve

Newly Enlightened
Cheers Leifuk i got everything i needed off dealextreme there pretty cheap and whats the delivery time to the uk? and also whats this Fungi link about and i use rootgrow myself really good stuff and cheap as chips:twothumbs

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers Leifuk i got everything i needed off dealextreme there pretty cheap and whats the delivery time to the uk? and also whats this Fungi link about and i use rootgrow myself really good stuff and cheap as chips:twothumbs

might i inquire as to which light mounts you got?

also, not to be wet blanket but there are reasons why DX lights are so cheap, have a look here. It's a lottery with DX and i sincerely hope that you have picked winners.

which lights did you get too?

bigsteve

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a fenix tk11 and a fenix mount and a 200mw red laser pen to wind th dog up :thumbsup:

LeifUK

Enlightened

Several days waiting for shipping, then about 1 week in my experience. Sometimes as fast as 4 days in transit.

The fungi link is my web site.

LeifUK

Enlightened
Mycorrhizal fungi isnt on there? :mecry:

Many fungi are mycorhizal, meaning that they invade and feed from the roots of trees, and other plants. All Lactarius and Russula species for example.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a fenix tk11 and a fenix mount and a 200mw red laser pen to wind th dog up :thumbsup:

lol, careful not to make the dog tooooo crazy. I had a dumb dalmatian, he would go crazy over the laser and even after we turned the laser off, he would spend hours and hours whining and looking all over the house for the laser dot. Eventually we decided to put him out of his misery and let him chase the laser dot to the gate of the house (we thought that would give him the impression that he had chased the laser dot away) but that didnt work either.

my younger brother had a "bright idea" he rolled some bread into a tiny ball, soaked it in ketchup and we let our dog chase the laser dot, then aimed it at the ball of bread, thinking (mistakenly as it turned out) that our dog would eat the bread and be convinced that he had slain and consumed the Evil Red Dot. But nay, the dumb dog now associated a red laser dot with FOOD.

took him 2 weeks to get it out of his system.

oh, and great light and mount too, consider a rechargeable system for your cells and carry spare cells too, wouldnt want to run out of light halfway would you?

DM51

Flashaholic
I had a dumb dalmatian, he would go crazy over the laser and even after we turned the laser off, he would spend hours and hours whining and looking all over the house for the laser dot. Eventually we decided to put him out of his misery and let him chase the laser dot to the gate of the house (we thought that would give him the impression that he had chased the laser dot away) but that didnt work either.

my younger brother had a "bright idea" he rolled some bread into a tiny ball, soaked it in ketchup and we let our dog chase the laser dot, then aimed it at the ball of bread, thinking (mistakenly as it turned out) that our dog would eat the bread and be convinced that he had slain and consumed the Evil Red Dot. But nay, the dumb dog now associated a red laser dot with FOOD.

took him 2 weeks to get it out of his system.
LMAO !! :crackup:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
DM51: it was funny only in hindsight lol, havin this huge dumb dalmatian moping around the house, whining and lookin for the non-existent,, fod-related red laser dot was a pain, my mum was the most upset, she accused me and my brother of torturing the dog emotionally, lol

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could go for a bigger size, I've noticed my XM-L P60 module makes for just about the perfect bicycling beam. It has a very wide and smooth hotpot with plenty of spill. Most flashlights emit too narrow a beam for bicycling so it's less useful and also tends to severely blind oncoming people. So Any P60 flashlight with the XM-L module would be good.