Travel battery restrictions to be tightened even further?

lewong

Newly Enlightened
Possible Revision to Requirements for the Transportation of Batteries

This was on Slashdot this morning:

"Buying your next laptop or smartphone online could suddenly get a lot more expensive if a little-known US Department of Transportation proposal to tighten rules around the shipment of small, Lithium-Ion battery-powered devices by air goes through, says an industry group opposing the move. The changes, designed primarily to reduce the risk from Lithium-Ion batteries, would also forbid air travelers from carrying spare alkaline or NiMH batteries in their checked-in luggage, according to the head of the Portable Rechargeable Battery Association"

The proposed changes are here: regulations.gov

From the Computerworld article:

"For air travelers, the department would also prohibit air passengers from keeping extra alkaline or rechargeable nickel-metal-hydride (NiMH) batteries in their checked-in luggage. Those batteries are acceptable if they are inside the devices. They are also permitted inside or outside devices if stored in carry-on luggage"

I'm not sure how it applies to Lithium batteries because this Jan 2008 Computerworld article seems to say that they were limited already.

n3eg

Newly Enlightened
Re: Possible Revision to Requirements for the Transportation of Batteries

I guess this means the extra devices and AA battery holder accessory packs for my equipment will be called "Loopholders" - because they'll hold Eneloops, and they'll provide a loophole.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I know there is already a thread in the battery section, but this issue really will affect everyone here in the US (maybe beyond). I know there were changes last January, but this seems like a further tightening of regulations. This seems a bit over the top to me. I'm no expert in this area. Maybe someone who is can comment? It's hard to separate rumor from fact and legalese.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/188762/traveling_with_laptops_could_get_tougher.html?tk=rss_news

nbp

Flashaholic
It was fun explaining to the TSA agent a few weeks ago what the keep2go tube with 4 SF 123s in it was in my carry-on.

'Umm, those are specialty batteries for the 5 flashlights you just inspected and turned on one by one, and the plastic tube is to protect them and keep them from shorting out. There's nothing to worry about, really!'

smfranke

Newly Enlightened
Some of these restrictions are just plain dumb. If a terrorist was really serious about blowing up a plane then s/he would hide the explosives in his/her rectum. Go to the lavatory, remove the explosives and light the fuse.

I honestly don't think they're very serious.

Edited out last line because HarryN found it insulting (at least I think that's what he was referring to)

Last edited:

Floating Spots

Enlightened
New Proposed (Airline) Battery Regulations?

I know there was some chatter a year or two ago about checked lithium batteries being banned. This worked out to carrying all lithium spares in carry-on bags. This is the first I've heard of checked luggage restrictions on NiMH or alkaline. While this reads like it is at a proposal stage, I wonder if this is real or FUD?

ComputerWorld Article on Proposed Battery Regs

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why ban alkaline and Ni-MH? As far as I can recall, there have been no reports of leaking alkalines or (non-explosively) venting Ni-MH battery problems in planes... This is just more government bureaucracy trying to make itself seem usefull...