Where to buy flexible 2-conductor cable?

kuksul08

Enlightened
I am looking for some very flexible (think noodle wire), preferably round cable with 2 conductors. I have some now that is flat with PVC insulation, and it gets tangled easily. I believe the good stuff has a high strand count and silicone insulation.

I would like two variants, a smaller one capable of delivering about 2-3 amps, and the other capable of 6+ amps. I've looked all over and only found one possible source which is in the UK. Also I only need small-ish lengths of them (less than 30 feet ea.).

Thanks

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not come across a source for high strand count, silicone insulation wire in multi-conductor configuration.

Mettee

Enlightened
are you looking for something that is configured like speaker wire(stuck together)?

I saw some at a local hobby store here in AZ, one red wire and one black. I will have to look again, its around the corner from my place. Just to see if its made, i get that you are in the UK

the gauge you need and what you are using it for might help us.

kuksul08

Enlightened
are you looking for something that is configured like speaker wire(stuck together)?

I saw some at a local hobby store here in AZ, one red wire and one black. I will have to look again, its around the corner from my place. Just to see if its made, i get that you are in the UK

the gauge you need and what you are using it for might help us.

Yeah, something stuck together. Think of a headphone cable, it doesn't tangle easily and is flexible. I am in CA, the place I found it, Farnell, seems to be in the UK only and they have a minimum order.

I think 16 or 18 gauge is best. It's for a bike light - to go from the battery pack in my camelbak to my helmet, so about 4 feet long and carrying 4+ amps without a lot of resistance.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
This two-conductor, 12 ga wire is very flexible and you can order it in short lengths. It seems unlikely you need high temp silicone insulated wire. 12 ga resistance is about 1.6 ohms per 1000 feet. You might use say 2 feet. That's about 3.2 mOhms. At 6A, that's only I^2 * R ~ 0.1W of power dissipation.

herulach

Enlightened
Wheres your UK source? I need some - presently using mains flex, which is ok but a little stiff.

Mettee

Enlightened
would something like this work, except with no plug in end on it and no ground wire. Just a flex power cable?
494379.jpg

Just found this
http://www.batteryspace.com/connect...techcoaxislockableconnectorwith8coilcord.aspx
and
http://www.batteryspace.com/connect...malecoaxislockableconnectorwith4coilcord.aspx
not that they are in UK but as an idea, plus I am sure someone here could get it for you and ship it if you wanted

Last edited:

kuksul08

Enlightened
This two-conductor, 12 ga wire is very flexible and you can order it in short lengths. It seems unlikely you need high temp silicone insulated wire. 12 ga resistance is about 1.6 ohms per 1000 feet. You might use say 2 feet. That's about 3.2 mOhms. At 6A, that's only I^2 * R ~ 0.1W of power dissipation.

That stuff is massive!

Wheres your UK source? I need some - presently using mains flex, which is ok but a little stiff.

Someone on MTBR suggested this: http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1387667

:wave: